Sponsored by:

Race Car Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 11:42 PM
dmbgamer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Car Numbers

I am going to a DE in a couple of weeks and need race car numbers. Does anyone know of a good source on the internet? Any suggestions as to specific type of material I should order?
Old 01-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fast Meatballs.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:39 AM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

If this is your first DE may I suggest that you just use racer's tape, or Scotch "Safe-Release" Painter's Masking Tape (available at Home Despot, Lowes et. al.) to make numbers. Why make an investment in magnetic numbers if you aren't even sure you'll like the sport? You probably will come back for more DE's, they are addictive, but tape does work fine for numbers.

As for preference, I like the magnetic numbers, a lot easier to work with than the vinyl. The vinyl is hard to get on and off repeatedly. Just about any sign shop can knock out a set of magnetic numbers if you don't want to hassle ordering over the internet.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:48 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

What are the requirements of the organization holding the DE? A lot of times DE events can be done with 4" numbers on the rear windows. Cheap vinyl, so easy to take off...
Old 01-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dmbgamer -

Make sure the number is fairly large (8"+) and in high contrast to the background color for easy identification.

Your corner workers will appreciate it!

Howard
98 C2 Cab Tip Glacier White/ Black top
Divisional SCCA Starter/Corner Worker
Old 01-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by ApexL8
As for preference, I like the magnetic numbers, a lot easier to work with than the vinyl. The vinyl is hard to get on and off repeatedly.
With the Fast Meatball removable numbers, I attach a small bit of clear tape that's folded on itself on the trailing edge to facilitate lifting the vinyl off. You can barely see the tape. If you don't like this look, you can use a piece of racer's tape to grab an edge so you can get your fingers under it.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

cheap and easy numbers

Go to home depot and buy a pack of magnetic vent covers. They are thin white magnetic sheets, ususally there are 4 of them to a pack that are made to cover vents in your house. ABout 4-5$ and Home Depot or Lowes. Use your printer and word to make template numbers then trace the number on the mag sheet and cut em out. I made a set for the last DE I did. I got 3 sets of 2 number (45) for each door and the hood out of 1 pack of covers. Got the car up to 120+ on the backstraight at Road Atlanta and they never moved a bit. Do not try using the whole magnetic sheet with a printed number on it it will not stay on at speed I have seen it happen. Also make sure that both your paint and the back of your number is clean before you put it on the car or it will scratch

Good Luck

Jon
Old 01-05-2004, 11:31 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Cheapest solution:
Regular contact paper. I print numbers on the stuff directly then cut them out. It's kind of a pain but it works great. PM me if you want my Word file.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:08 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Mark in Baltimore
With the Fast Meatball removable numbers, I attach a small bit of clear tape that's folded on itself on the trailing edge to facilitate lifting the vinyl off. You can barely see the tape. If you don't like this look, you can use a piece of racer's tape to grab an edge so you can get your fingers under it.
That sounds like the best idea I've ever heard for using vinyl. I have a friend with a Corvette, magnetics won't work, and he has nothing but trouble with those numbers, always getting wrinkled, hassle.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:48 PM
dmbgamer
Advanced

Default Thanks.........

for all the good ideas. Being the lazy a** that I am, I'll probably order them from FastMeatballs if he can deliver them in time. If not, racer's tape it'll be.

Chuck, the DE I'm going to is at Road Atlanta next weekend. Will you be there?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:18 AM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

dmbgamer,
Yes Sir, I'll be at Road Atlanta for the next DE, January 17-18. I'm really looking forward to it. What is your car number, so I can come over and shake your hand? I'm #41 for the event, 1995 black on black coupe, and I usually try to park near the down ramp that enters the grid.

If you can't get your meatballs made in time don't bother buying tape if you don't want to, because I should have plenty.

Partners in Laziness,
Old 01-07-2004, 12:34 AM
dmbgamer
Advanced

Chuck.

I am #32 , silver '95 coupe. I look forward to meeting you there. Do you have a suggestion for the best place to stay since I'll be driving over from B'ham?
Old 01-07-2004, 01:17 AM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Randy,
I usually stay here:

Comfort Inn Oakwood

I-985 Exit 16 Mundy Mill Rd
Oakwood, GA 30566

Tel: (770) 287-1000

It is nothing fancy mind you, but it is cheap, nice enough, and about as close to the track as any motel.

Call them direct and ask for a Porsche Club discount, they will usually knock a few dollars off of whatever price you could have gotten through Expedia, Travelocity, etc.

If that motel is full there is a "Jameson Inn", and a "Country Inn and Suites" in Oakwood which are just fine. All the motels in Oakwood are fine except the Admiral Benbow, which is a dump.

If Oakwood is all booked up try for a room in Gainesville.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:24 PM
dmbgamer
Advanced

Chuck,

Thanks for the info. I'll see you next weekend.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 586 Posts

Depending on size requirements, you can always just print them out on a peice of paper and stick that in the window. If you really like DE, then you can go all out.

Matt

Quick Reply: Race Car Numbers