Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! No "R, 1st, 2nd or N"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Not to try to get you to spend even more money, but have you had the valve guides done yet? You're pretty close to having the motor out and while you're almost there......
Old 05-15-2018, 12:56 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

31K miles sure seems short for having transmission problems. I'd be getting a second opinion, personally. Sounds like you're gonna have an expensive May. Good luck
Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
31K miles sure seems short for having transmission problems. I'd be getting a second opinion, personally. Sounds like you're gonna have an expensive May. Good luck
My thoughts as well. I've daily driven many Manual Transmissions well over 100K and never had this happen. Again, car hasn't been on the rack yet ... he only assessed the problem from my garage but feels pretty certain on his diagnosis.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:07 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 196 Posts

After reading this thread. I still think it has something to do with the new parts installed. If I was you, I would want to be around when your mechanic takes the center tunnel cover off.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Check your center tunnel. There have been many threads for such a case as yours. I wouldn’t get to worried about costs as the parts that do fail are pretty common in this aged vehicle.

Good luck and consider replacing all the wearables at once and coating them with some nice silicon spray for the rubber bits.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
After reading this thread. I still think it has something to do with the new parts installed. If I was you, I would want to be around when your mechanic takes the center tunnel cover off.
+1. Esp when you mentioned just having the FD kit etc recently installed.

At your car's mileage this kinda of transmission issue I'll say is very uncommon.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM
ichibum9
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like something that happened to me a few years ago. I also freaked out, but it turned out just to be a small part in the linkage of the shift lever and golden rod that was easily replaced. Hope that's what it is for you too.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:19 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I will keep everybody posted once I get the car up there on a lift for inspection. I agree that it's HIGHLY SUSPECT since I just had all this work done with the FD Short Shifter. RS Goldenrod and FD HD Transmission Mount.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:51 AM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you don't have to dig into the box and it turns out to be something associated with the recent work. If you do need to repair the box it will be a perfect time to re-gear if you want to do so. There are a handful of guys on this board that have done the re-gear and quite a few threads on the topic to keep you entertained while waiting for the prognosis.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:57 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

Do you have the car still in your garage? You can do a quick look from the top by removing the shift boot, center console, and rubber boot. Takes a few minutes and you once you do this you have direct top down view of the shifter. If one of the plastic bushings in the shifter failed or the guide tube got loose as @sandiaman suggested you will quickly be able to see if you move the shift lever around as it should be nice and smooth motion on the guide tube and and the shift lever moving forward and backward. Hopefully this will be a quick fix for you.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

My car has a weird thing where it's refuses to go into 1st some times. Pretty random. You double clutch and re-engage first and it goes straight in. Anyway, I had a short shift and goldenrod and I thought the whole thing was too stiff for the driving I do and I had it all removed to go back to stock. I was trying to put the car into first without double-clutching and I used a bit too much pressure and I felt something pop. Seemingly, the guide tube with the bearing on each end had popped off the bottom of the shift lever. I could technically engage gears but the shifter just swam around and it was impossible to tell if you were accurately in a gear or not. My shop reattached it in no-time and now I just make sure to double clutch back if I feel resistance to first.

Anyway, at the time I had no idea what the deal was. Maybe your problem will turn out to be a minor rather than major pain.

G
Old 05-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I think it's a broken shifter fork. Stock ones are made of cast metal whereas the RS ones are forged. I had a similar issue at a race when I broke a fork and was able to shift into certain gears and not others. I upgraded a few of them to RS versions.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I think it's a broken shifter fork. Stock ones are made of cast metal whereas the RS ones are forged. I had a similar issue at a race when I broke a fork and was able to shift into certain gears and not others. I upgraded a few of them to RS versions.
Thanks Mark. This is exactly what my Mechanic thinks. Again, will report back when I get the car up there next week on what he finds out.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any solution yet?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sandia man
Any solution yet?
They are supposed to get to it today. My mechanic's shop has been slammed with work. I guess not a bad thing for him! Will report back as soon as I hear something.

Quick Reply: HELP!! No "R, 1st, 2nd or N"