Sponsored by:

993 Question on Radio/CD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 12:24 PM
williet1342
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 993 Question on Radio/CD

Hey guys, I have a 95 - 993 with a stock radio/CD that is just not getting it. I could easily go get an after market install, but I really want to keep the dash looking for the most part like a stock 993 etc... Do I have to sacrifice the look of the dash or is their an upgrade that would work from Porsche or some other source?

If not, is there an after market premium stereo (w/CD) that someone could recommend that looks similar to the stock unit, but will give me an alternative?

All opinions greatly appreciated. Photos or links etc... would be GREAT if its not too much of a pain.

Cheers from the Low Country of S.C.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:51 PM
johnt53
Advanced

williet, do a search on Becker--you will find a picture in one of the threads. I think it looks pretty good. BTW, wife and I just spent Christmas in the low country--Charleston historic district and Seabrook Island--had a ball.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi williet1342,

I too live in Charleston. There are few people here with 993's. Are you a member of the local PCA?
Old 01-03-2004, 02:40 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Willet - most cost effective solution is to buy either a CDR-210 or a CDR-220 on ebay...you should find a number of them. The CDR-210 came in later year 993s whereas teh CDR-220 came in Boxsters and 996s - I would recommmend getting the CDR-220 b/c it has a rotary know and a cleaner look...plus it will work with Phatbox MP3 player (google "Phatbox" or "Phatnoise" if you haven't heard of them. Another alternative is to get a TrafficPro which looks like a CDR-220 but has navigation...these were about $1300-1500 a year ago but are $800 new or $500 or so on ebay....these also work with the Phatbox.

The general consensus seams that although Beckers are best for maintaining the factory look, the sound quality leaves much to be desired.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:50 PM
DrZ
Racer

I originally had the stock CDR-210 connected to my hi-end aftermarket audio system. The sound was not too bad. HU is actually equal or better in quality than most of the mid-fi alternatives out there. Due however to the very low output V. of the unit you will need a LOC in order to connect to any decently powered amp. Input sensitivity would otherwise be a problem. Then you can replace the terrible stock speakers with the ones of your choice. A 6.5" or smaller driver would allow for the easiest and cheapest swap. CDT, Boston, MBs or Focal would all work here.(iListed in order of my personal preference)

Go to DavidNavone.com to get the best LOC. He is one of the moderators on Car Sound and a good guy to work with. Has email address to anwser specific questions. I believe his LOC runs about $80 depending on how many channels you will require. PAC make an inexpensive one for around $20 that you can pick up at any car stereo store. Good luck, yes it as possible to have a totally stock appearing system that sounds considerably better without spending a lot of time and money.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:38 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Williet,

I think you will find that the Nakamichi's also look very "stock". They are also excllent head u8nits.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:49 PM
williet1342
Pro

Post Thanks guys...

The above responses were exactly what I was looking for guys. My car is no garage queen but I would like to keep it sharp inside and out. I'll be following up on the leads you guys pointed out and I'll let you know what happens.

Hey Ron, thanks for the note about 993 folks here in Charleston SC. I need to get in the PCA and tap into the local knowledge base regarding these 993's. I sent you an e-mail. Thanks for responding. This site has helped me solve some minor problems I've had with my 993 and I've run into some nice people in the process. Regards to all.

"The first round is mine".
Old 01-04-2004, 09:35 AM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the CDR-210 and the factory Nokia Digital Sound Processor. (It's the one that has controls in the driver side door pocket.) I'm very satisfied with it. I bought it on ebay for $149 and installed it myself in about 30 minutes. Now, I'm assuming that you have the CR-210, which is the cassette version of the same stereo. I would be interested in trading head units with you because I could use the cassette adapter with my IPOD.

Does anyone know if the CR-210 works as well with the Nokia DSP as the CDR-210?

Since I'm just 2 1/2 hours away, maybe we should get together.

LeeH
Aiken, SC USA (Not the low country, but just as hot!)
1996 C2 Coupe
Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 AM
williet1342
Pro

Default Thanks guys...some great input

I guess I sort of goofed by referring to my unit as a stock radio/CD (some thought I meant Cassette Deck) in my original post. I should have used the model #.

Sorry Leeham, I've got the CDR-210 (Single CD Player) and it sounds like you need the cassette option for IPOD. However , I am interested in the NOKIA Digital Sound Option you did in the driver's door pocket and I've already looked on e-bay. If you are in the Low Country let me know etc...

To DrZ., thanks for the referral to David, I'll make contact and try to explore the LOC option and speakers. I'm not a head banger so 100 watts and some decent sounds will do. Thanks. If it doesn't work out like I hope, I'll be pulling HU, and trying something else. The wife would prefer I just quit worrying about it, but I really want to preserve the stock look inside.

Thanks guys !

Old 01-04-2004, 03:04 PM
DrZ
Racer

I would definately consider going away from the stock Nokia amp or dsp. I am partial to Brax, but these boys are expensive and big requiring a trunk mount. Helix, which is Brax's second line may very well fit under the seat and is more in line with most people's budget. May also consider ARC which make a pretty good compact multi-channel amp. Keep in mind upgraded speakers are generally less efficient and will require some power to play at a desirable listening level.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:31 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

No audiophile would ever consider anything produced by Becker or Blaupunkt. I don't claim to be an audiophile but I know garbage when I read specs. Want stealth and stock looks? Try this. It is what I have in my car. I am very happy with it! Also have an Alpine amp under the passenger seat and Focal seperates.

http://www.xplodsony.com/products/?C...CD&MD=CDX-M800
Old 01-04-2004, 04:45 PM
DrZ
Racer

respectfully disagree, ANY source unit will sound fine as long as voltage output and impedence sensitivity of amp with proper gain adjustment is addressed. You may indeed be happy with your Sony but I would not consider their HUs to be better than stock. Lots of bells, whistles and signal distorting processing. Don't be too impressed with specs when it comes to audio equipment, nothing takes the place of hearing things with your own ears. Many long threads on this topic on Car Sound and Performance. Also don't expect the stereo shop to give you objective advice here as afterall they would rather sell you a $300 HU than a $20 LOC.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Respectfully disagree here Dr Z, I am still running the (unfortunately) now discontinued Sony C90 Head Unit. I have had this head unit for almost 3 years and still consider it to be reference quality. Another fantastic system by Sony was the Sony XES system, very good value for money if one could afford it, but unfortunately discontinued when Sony decided that SQ wasn't all that people were after. Admittedly, Sony seems to have now gone down a path of big disco screen head units which just dont cut it, but the C90 was, and still is a great centre piece for a high quality stereo installin my opinion.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:50 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Nakamichi CD-400 and it fits the looks of the dash very well. Great unit, great sound (also have an aux amp and new speakers).

chuck
Old 04-17-2004, 10:28 PM
beto
Advanced

I have a stock cr 210 in dash casette player for sale that ran my stock changer. let me know Beto

Quick Reply: 993 Question on Radio/CD