Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

The worst case scenario of a distributor belt failure has not been mentioned,
i.e. a burnt cylinder and/or piston.

Once the belt brakes, the rotor can position itself such that it causes very
early ignition in a cylinder resulting in major damage to that cylinder. I've
seen this occur on a number of 964s. This is a very costly repair for a $5.00
belt. Porsche should have installed the Hall sensor in the other distributor
and set the CEL when no signal existed from the Hall.

Good Luck
Loren
'88 3.2
Old 01-03-2004, 10:56 AM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOB,STEVE et al.I have been involved in both pro and amataur racing,as well as porsche service for a while myself and i think you both make valid points.I think lifing all parts on a car used in this type of activity is prudent,it will pay dividends on the course as well as it relates to the budget.I might suggest perhaps a comprimise.I think replacing the dist.assy every 3-4 years might make more sense.You not only get a new belt,but you also benifit from new caps/rotors and most importantly,a new hall sender and bearings.This might be a better expenditure of funds,buying new parts as apposed to spending the money on labor to rebuild the dist.assy.just a thought....
Old 01-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve, I'm glad to read that you're in the aviation maintenance too. I have been in the last 17 years. I said that 'cause you do understand then the difference between flight hour inspection/maintenance vs the calendar inspection/maintenance That is my concern, specially a lot of the rennlisters here had mentioned the expensive repairs if that belt breaks. So you think 6 years would be a good time to do a preventive maintenance replacement?

I thought I'd mentioned this too...I just replaced the caps and the rotors myself, a couple of months ago, and what a difference does that make. acceleration became much smoother from the lower rpm band. My old ones had some carbon and arc gauging.

thanks
Mike
Old 01-22-2004, 03:48 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, to bring up an old thread, but does anyone have someone who replaces the belts in the distributors. I have heard getting the pin out of the gear on the bottom is a challenge and replacements dont exist anyway. I am very busy with my race car, and just dont have experience in doing this anyway. I am undergoing new brakes, suspension and a tune up which I am doing, but the distributor is scaring me a bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am in NYC, so any locals would also be appreciated. On that note, i called up a local place which does not rebuild the belt. The get a whole new rebuilt distributor for $500. I am not spending $500 for a rebuilt distributor
Old 01-22-2004, 03:59 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

The pin is PN 930 602 922 00 and is readily available from the dealer at $.63. I just changed my belt on my 964, I wasn't overwhelming. I left a few tips on the 964 forum. If your interested do a search on " Distributor Belt Replacement Tips".
Old 01-23-2004, 01:17 PM
garychios
Pro

Thanks very much. I ordered the pin by searching the archives. I will look at your post soon, once I get the distributor out. I hope I can make this all work. :-)

Quick Reply: Twin Distributor Belt replacement recommendation