993 Forum 1995-1998

Other Forum Comment

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:26 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Other Forum Comment

Query on another forum as to why said forum was "dead". This, being opposite to the 993 forum that is ALWAYS active, interesting, and informative. Response: "993's are old and they crumble a lot more. ******** are bulletproof for the most part and people are too busy driving them to be posting on a forum...."

Don't ya just love it........ this from someone who may have never owned air cooled. Feel free to find and flame!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

that must be the cayenne forum, I hear those things are the best machine ever made and will still be running after the apocalypse.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I believe there is passion for the 993. It is more than a car to most that own them and to all that are regulars on this forum. That said, I was looking at another well known forum and their 993 forum is dead. We are fortunate to have what we have here on Renelist. Even with the occasional "issues" this is a great place.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:58 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what makes the 993 forum here interesting is how many different people are posting. Many forum have a cadre of about 6 or so folks posting very often.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:14 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
that must be the cayenne forum, I hear those things are the best machine ever made and will still be running after the apocalypse.
Driving a Cayanne (other than a loaner when the Cayman is in the shop) would be a sign that the apocalypse has regretfully already happened......
Old 04-24-2018, 05:09 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Driving a Cayanne (other than a loaner when the Cayman is in the shop) would be a sign that the apocalypse has regretfully already happened......
I was offered a Cayenne during My last service but rejected it! I rather walk than be seen in one!

I said to them: 911 or nothing!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:54 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

• Could the commitment to this forum have to do with the fact that the 993 is not the quietest or most comfortable car but is an absolute joy to drive because it demands one's involvement while driving it compared to many other cars?
  • Could the reliability and simplicity of basic servicing and minor repair also encourage the DIY urge and so involvement and Rennlist discussions?
  • Could the design of the car being both classic and modern encourage long-term ownership and so Rennlist involvement?
Similar in many ways to the appeal of my Harly Davidson Sportster,
Andy
Old 04-24-2018, 01:20 PM
synth19
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

As a relative new user here, I'll give some outside perspective. Forums in general have been dying. Thriving forums of the past have little to no activity and been replaced with Facebook. This is sad due to a variety of reasons. The 993 forum seems to be much more active compared to other popular forums out there. I think there are some strong and active members which keep things running smoothly. Secondly, there seems to be quite a bit of "older" owners who never made the shift to Facebook. These are two really positive things because the up and coming generation/new owners will come here knowing this site is ACTIVE and thriving.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:20 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
As a relative new user here, I'll give some outside perspective. Forums in general have been dying. Thriving forums of the past have little to no activity and been replaced with Facebook. This is sad due to a variety of reasons. The 993 forum seems to be much more active compared to other popular forums out there. I think there are some strong and active members which keep things running smoothly. Secondly, there seems to be quite a bit of "older" owners who never made the shift to Facebook. These are two really positive things because the up and coming generation/new owners will come here knowing this site is ACTIVE and thriving.
Synth19
Nice looking avatar, though I prefer these wheels.

grin

Old 04-24-2018, 03:49 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
I was offered a Cayenne during My last service but rejected it! I rather walk than be seen in one!

I said to them: 911 or nothing!
My work is about 35 miles from the dealer that (used to) service my Cayman, so the walk would be exhausting. But, given that it's an SF Bay Area commute, walking might not take any longer.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:25 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
Thriving forums of the past have little to no activity and been replaced with Facebook.
Interesting perspective. I am an avid Facebook user, probably a surprise to many here, yeah, and found Facebook great for keeping up with friends and family and making the occasional social or political commentary or following snarky humor. Not a place to discuss technical subjects very deeply. Technical forums on facebook I do follow have to do with large format film photography and are a little different in tone and substance as there are as many ways to do film photography as there are stars in the sky and so discussions are not as highly focused on specific best practices or information on known solutions to specific problems or challenges.
Andy
Old 04-24-2018, 06:49 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

IMHO, 993 owners are the last of a Porsche breed who will venture to work on their own vehicles. Yes, there are those in the "watercooled" community who do likewise but they are in the minority. Even those 993 owners who don't will confer with those of us who do in order to be more informed about their cars. 993 owners are a more like "fraternity", a "band of brothers", a "cult", a "religion" (pick one).
Old 04-24-2018, 10:56 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Guys,

Don't get your knickers in a twist. The post was on the Cayman board, not the Cayenne board. The guy who posted the comment is clearly an idiot-lurker-troll who emerges from his mom's basement about once a year to post something intended to antagonize everyone else. His opinion isn't worth a cup of warm spit. Enjoy your cars and don't let the morons distract you.

Quick Reply: Other Forum Comment