Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 300 Miles Driven 993 C4S vs 993 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty obvious difference here guys, the C4S is making heaps of low speed down force with the turbo spoiler.

Beautiful cars. I love the high level of mechanical grip that these cars have when set up properly. Seems you may have some differences in geometry, tires, suspension wear, etc that is causing most of the 'squealing' in the C2S.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:57 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Seamless
Pretty obvious difference here guys, the C4S is making heaps of low speed down force with the turbo spoiler.
duh! and explains slower take off
Old 04-17-2018, 05:32 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 363 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Seamless

Beautiful cars. I love the high level of mechanical grip that these cars have when set up properly. Seems you may have some differences in geometry, tires, suspension wear, etc that is causing most of the 'squealing' in the C2S.
@Seamless, thank you for the compliments. Both cars have different set ups, never thought I would have to turn this into an equal condition laboratory driving test so will update this post further in time when I re install the stock deck lid on the 4S and have the suspension set up identical to the C2S. Inherently there has to be differences beyond the AWD option and added weight. I am just posting from my driver's perspective and initial 'getting used to the car'. Before I purchased any of the two 993s I had only briefly test driven both versions from a local Indy dealer. I never actually drove any of the 2 cars I own as both were purchased sight unseen from 2 ultra stand up individuals that were very open and upfront about vehicle condition, care, maintenance and verifiable service history. As I mentioned earlier this is a very personal point of view on driving experience and is tied into the driving dexterity of the individual in my opinion, not just the car set up or tires. If not I would have never beaten, in the quarter mile, that kid in the nitro setup Honda Civic Coupe v-tec SI while I was driving a stock, no mods, '97 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution back in college. Or the other kid in the E-30 M3, and so on. (Reminiscing now) Never would've thought I'd be commanding the wheel of a '97 Carrera S. Man do I miss this car, it paid for a lot of dates back in the day. Wish I would've kept it and set it up for track.

Lady in Red..

Now back to Porsches:

@NYC993, I would love for you to share your experience pre and post AWD removal in your 9934S now sort of just C2S. What have been the benefits besides the deduction of 80lbs or so? First time I ever hear about this mod.

Thanks all, keep sharing.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:48 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by ftlaud911
Interesting that you own both. Your a very lucky man! I have never had a 4wd car before. The front end definitely feels heavier. My c2s 997 was super light in the front and felt more playful, but not as stable at highway speed. The 993 c4s is insane to me how much grip it has. I have yet to hear the tires even make a noise. They are the cheap sumitomo HTZ III's. I find myself amazed during turn in and the car feels like it will defy the law of physics. I have only tried to push it a couple times just to test. I have a tight roundabout and keep going around in the circle to see how hard I could go before I rubbed while adjusting coilover height. Keep going faster and faster and no sound once at the optimal height. The only thing I want is more power. Car is not a speed demon. It is quick enough to have fun while not going straight to jail. I knew that going in, but I think 100hp more would be perfect. Wish I could afford the turbo, it we all have spending limits. Please keep updating us!
Sounds like you need some Chips... Thanks for the compliments. Ride height makes a world of difference..
Old 04-17-2018, 05:52 PM
NYC993
Drifting

my front dif broke so I just had shop take it out along with the torque tube. FD even puts together a kit for the conversion. It was popular with c4 guys esp. in 964 world cuz awd is really heavy there.

I run slighly larger rear tires on the track due to limited sizes nt01s come in so when i took awd out i noticed no real difference.

FYI Oem rear wheels are smaller, which i read somewhere is to simulate rear wheel spin and have coupling preloded.

Unless you are driving 9/10th consistently, 80lbs doesnt make a difference. On the street, we drive maybe 5-6/10th during spirited driving.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:59 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

@NYC993: Very interesting. Will look into it for my 964 C4 possibly. I always feel her heavy although she is a Garage Queen. I like how you put the term "Spirited Driving".
Old 04-18-2018, 08:29 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
@NYC993: Very interesting. Will look into it for my 964 C4 possibly. I always feel her heavy although she is a Garage Queen. I like how you put the term "Spirited Driving".
964 AWD system is completely different than 993s. Not easy to remove and expensive.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:47 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by chsu74
964 AWD system is completely different than 993s. Not easy to remove and expensive.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:57 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Good read. I am glad you bought some drivers and usi then as intended by driving them. I am in the same camp, would love to find a nice driver high miles don’t scare me either, really on any car if everything else makes sense.

now I can see why your selling the PTT . Be comparison to that car must be drastically different. That car does defy physics a little bit from my limited seat time.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

I was wondering about this. It almost has to be true. I remember reading about how the Corvette reviews would sometimes explain how twitchy the car is, yet, folks that track these cars say the opposite. And Chevy would go and adjust the suspension and “fix” the twitchiness.

I drove a 991 that felt like it has no grip, yet my 996 has incredible grip. But it’s a C2? If you think about it, grip should have nothing at all to do with RWD vs AWD, assuming that we are talking about braking and turning.

You will feel a difference in grip, but it’s not as simple as more grip or less grip. It depends on conditions. When accelerating or decelerating you may feel less grip up front since the AWD is asking the front tires to do more in a C4 vs a C2. Braking should be no different other than slightly more mass to slow down.

If traction is low enough that the rear end could break loose on acceleration, you may feel more grip since the power is being routed between the front and rear to maximize traction. This is when a C4 can feel like it is clawing its way out of a corner.

So depending on conditions, driving style, setup and tires you may feel various differences in grip on corner entry, mid corner or exit between the C4 and the C2. Much of which is hard to discern unless you have a lot of experience in these cars and you are driving them on the track to really push the limits.

My take is that the C4(S) feels more ‘solid’ and confidence inspiring and has a cool feel through the steering wheel on corner exit as the front tires scrabble forward. Lots of fun! The C2(S) on the other hand feels easier to work the rear of the car. Throttle changes have a bigger impact on what the rear tires are doing and you can play with rotation and acceleration/weight induced chassis balance. Also lots of fun!

They are both great cars. For fair weather I prefer a C2 (barely) just because it is simpler and drives more like past 911s. For wet weather I prefer a C4 (by a lot) because I can feel it taking care of me and I can push the car in a wider range of conditions.

The following users liked this post:
spinfree (09-13-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:07 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
The C2(S) on the other hand feels easier to work the rear of the car. Throttle changes have a bigger impact on what the rear tires are doing and you can play with rotation and acceleration/weight induced chassis balance.
Maybe it’s the way my C2 is setup, but using any throttle just results in understeer. The only way I can get the traction loose in the rear is under braking, such as trail braking into a turn. Otherwise, the rear just stays planted.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

The S has a LOT more tire in the back than a narrow body car. You can fix that by increasing tire width in front and/or reducing it in the rear. 235/275 or 235/265 are both good combos.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:51 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

4/20/2018
Originally Posted by vtgt
Good read. I am glad you bought some drivers and usi then as intended by driving them. I am in the same camp, would love to find a nice driver high miles don’t scare me either, really on any car if everything else makes sense.

now I can see why your selling the PTT . Be comparison to that car must be drastically different. That car does defy physics a little bit from my limited seat time.
It does make sense to focus on Aircooled. Whoever gets my 970TT will be a fortunate new owner. It just dies not get seat time anymore just service and occasional roll out.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:48 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12

It does make sense to focus on Aircooled. Whoever gets my 970TT will be a fortunate new owner. It just dies not get seat time anymore just service and occasional roll out.
[/left]
J: You would have LOVED Luftgekuhlt today. Definitely mark your calendar for next year and don't hesitate. --D

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 04-23-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:38 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Maybe it’s the way my C2 is setup, but using any throttle just results in understeer. The only way I can get the traction loose in the rear is under braking, such as trail braking into a turn. Otherwise, the rear just stays planted.
exatly right and wider tires have little to do with it

Quick Reply: First 300 Miles Driven 993 C4S vs 993 C2S