Sponsored by:

H&R Coilover vs. Bilstein PSS-9

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 07:52 PM
Radar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post H&R Coilover vs. Bilstein PSS-9

Has anyone had both of these on their 993? If so, I'd like to hear some objective comparison between them. I am particularly interested in the respective ride qualities of both and handling characteristics on the street.

The H&R coilover in question is the standard 993 kit part number 29954-1.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
The comparision expanded to the RUF coilovers (which us Bilstein's as well) would be interesting as well. Apparently the RUF kit includes an adjustable rear-sway bar. We seem to need a comparision matrix built since this topic comes up quite often, and lots of us, myself include, may be shopping soon...
Old 01-24-2002, 01:46 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Tobias:

Having installed and driven both suspension setups on the street and track, I'll say that the PSS-9's have a greater range of ride quality than the H&R's, naturally.

Since we always install these combined with a pair of the larger adjustable RS swaybars, this is a pretty good comparison.

The Bilstein spring setup is a main/tender package and the H&R is a single rate one. This also helps the PSS-9's ride quality without compromising handling, as you may use a stiffer main spring with a softer tender spring without penalty.

The ability to soften the valving is a very big advantage when optimizing street ride quality and retain full on-track performance if needed.

Cannot tell you anything about the Ruf setup but they offer very well engineered products in general.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:48 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had looked into the RUF suspension. I was quoted 3200.00! I seems the pss9 is much less?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:09 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Hi Tobias,

Last night I drove my friend's 993 Turbo S which is equipped with the H&R Coilovers.

I personally like the ride a lot, it is obviously stiffer than my stock non-030 suspension but it is very much livable on San Jose roads The body roll is significantly reduced and the car feels really tight (he has a front strut bar too).

From what I heard from him, the PSS-9 should be a better kit and perhaps someday when I'm ready, I'll swap my non-030 suspension with the PSS-9 and RSR Sways kit.

Oh and I was really impressed with the serious acceleration of his Turbo S (which has been tuned up to give out 500+ hp).

It was a big mistake of mine to drive his car because now... I really want a Turbo
Old 01-26-2002, 12:54 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

pin, I know what you're saying... My Dad has a '97 Ocean Blue Turbo S that is the most phenominal car I've ever seen... And he's had them all too... The power, the looks, everything... I can't even imagine more power on top of that.

-Matt

Quick Reply: H&R Coilover vs. Bilstein PSS-9