Oil Cooler Leaking..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 12:12 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Leaking..?

Yea - I did a search

Last weekend - I had the RF splitter off to respray it - and found that there was a bondo repair in there. OK - I can live with that - the PO must-a dorked it against something. BUT - I also noticed there was some dirty - wet oil in there - so I removed the RF wheel and well cover - and cleaned it out, figuring they must have let oil leak when they were repairing the POs problem.

Nope......

I'm getting a slow leak - a few drips after a long run. It appears is coming from the cooler fins, near the front/bottom..?? Anyone know if oil coolers can be repaired - and how/who does them? Is it better to try to find a used replacement? Or is it best to allow it to leak - sort of like an automated rust-inhibitor to the RF area of the car (j/k - maybe??.. )...

OR HORRORS - is there an "upgrade" to that cooler which is better (err - "cheaper" - "cheaper is "good"..)...

Thanks for any assistance/input....

A Happy 2004 to all!!!!

John
Old 01-01-2004, 12:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,794 Likes on 2,373 Posts

cargraphic has a very cool oil cooler ;o)
that's a definite upgrade for the new year!
Old 01-01-2004, 12:23 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that spot John, there have been postings about sandwiching 2 coolers together. But that will be twice as expensive. A new cooler for that side runs about $290 list from Porsche. It is part number 964 207 220 02.

I had the same issue when I bought my car. Oil cooler was leaking from the middle of the vanes. Figured it had taken a rock hit. Pretty easy to swap out. If you do replace it, remember to also replace the fan resistor while you have it apart...
Old 01-01-2004, 12:47 PM
John D.
Banned

Thanks John and Bob..!!!!

Ummm - Bob, am I reading your post correctly - it's a 964 PART #??? So - Jen's 964 has the "same" cooler - BUT - without any leaks????

Ahhhhhh - payback time. Remember, she "appropriated" my extra set of Cup Wheels and snows.... For some reason - my car may be fixed sooner then I thought, while hers develops a mysterious "oil cooler leak"..... 'Course - eventually - I'll have to fix hers, so thanks for the info (and the idea )...!!!
Old 01-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Chuckie T
Intermediate

John D -

A little OT: I didn't realize you are in Portsmouth. I am a PHS graduate (Go Clippers!) and my parents still there. Beautiful town, huh. Although I live in the Boston area now, I do spend a lot of time there visiting friends, family, etc. When the time comes for me to make the eventual 993 purchase, maybe we can compare rides on one of my many visits to Po-town.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:50 PM
John D.
Banned

Hey Chuckie and Kim..!!!

Chuckie - you are more then welcomed anytime!!! I have an "open garage" policy - so it would be a pleasure!! If you come up today, you can help with the oil cooler.. Seriously - if you stop by anytime - you may find and various projects underway - so don't be surprised if I ask you to help pull an engine, or bleed the brakes, or maybe do a little feathering of a paint repair..

Also - Kim - just check the connections, great suggestion..! Unfortunately - nope, I don't see and sign of leaking in that area (that fix would have been even easier then stealing Jen's 964 cooler )....
Old 01-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Oil Cooler Upgrades in their order of efficiency:

1. Factory 993 RSR cooler in left front replacing air conditioning condenser, you could probably just stick an additional stock cooler over there and don't worry about the 993RSR designation.
2. Cargraphics piggyback cooler...so they say. I am still not convinced that sandwiching the oil cooler and air conditioning condenser in close proximity is the words best idea, think that both devices are working to radiate heat,
3. Cargraphics twin Turbo S cooler set up. This will increase the cooling capacity by approximately 40%, and you will not compromise your airconditioning. I cannot say if this set up has the tubing/connection I.D.s that Steve Weiner doesn't like (See #4),
4. One (1) Cargraphics Turbo S cooler or one (1) factory Turbo S cooler..this helps but don't expect miracles with a mere 20% increase in oil cooling capacity. Larry Armi gave me the 20% figure...the Turbo S cooler is approximately 20% of the size of the installed factory cooler. Note Steve Weiner has issues with the Factorbo S cooler. He says the oil lines are too small...they could have been larger. Steve recommends Cargraphics radiator cooler mentioned in (2).
5. Piggyback two (2) stock coolers into the right front fender. There have to be issues her with the physics of this set up...think about it.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:22 PM
kary993
Drifting

John,

Your oil cooler leaking out the fins is a common issue. Small debris gets in there and damages it. As long as it is not puddling up somewhere below the oil cooler I would not worry about it, but if it is I would replace it. As Bob notes, it is not that expensive of a fix given the importance of oil cooling.

Martin,

I would agree with your assessment of oil cooler options except for #2. It is really only an issue when you use the air conditioning and as Kim and others have pointed out the air conditioning degradation was minimal in their experienced opinion. For those of us in California, using air conditioning is the exception not the rule (at least along the coast). I would rather protect my engine and be slightly warmer in hot conditions versus be very cool and ruin my engine.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:34 PM
John D.
Banned

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!!!

Here's a quick update - I just pulled it all apart (again), and let the car idle 'till warm. I'm getting quite a seepage problem from the front lower section - I'm guessing aout a teaspoon every 10 minutes, so yep - to Kary's comment, probably not a killer - but enough to know I should do something in the next week or before an extended trip... What I'll probably do is try to find a used cooler in good shape - and put that in during the interim. When I save some $$ - consider a more permanent upgrade as suggested by Martin, mooty and Bob...

My thanks again!!!!!

John
Old 01-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

John,
Stay away from a used cooler, unless you are 100% sure of where it has been. Never know if it was connected to an engine that blew up and sent metal schards into the cooler. Just use your dealer connections with IRA and get a new one.
Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

John:

Do NOT install any used cooler without having it pressure tested then ultrasonically cleaned.

Its akin to unprotected sex,....you do not have any idea about where that used cooler has been and what is inside it.

Get a new factory cooler and protect your investment.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:30 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by John D.
When I save some $$ - consider a more permanent upgrade ...
John
In your climate a properly operating oem unit should provide very good cooling including occasional DE use. My car, as well as other local 993s, are fine even during our 100 deg. mid summer DEs. I'd save your upgrade $$$ for the fun stuff. I also agree w/Greg & Steve re a used cooler - the small cost savings is disproportionate to the risk.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, my post-spun rod bearing 993 engine installation cost me an extra $600 for ultrasonic cleaning of the oil cooler and tank. Which, of course, was entirely necessary and appropriate under the circumstances.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:37 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
....Its akin to unprotected sex,....you do not have any idea about where that used cooler has been and what is inside it...
Ummm - leaks, unprotected sex, slippery oil - this is giving me flashbacks to when I was.... Oh sorry - wrong Forum..

Seriously - I know you and Greg are right... I'm just rebelling at spending the $$$$ - but when Jen's car has the leaky cooler - she'll spend the dollars

As for "upgrades" - in my area, Dan may be right too - I need to lower my car, install a LWF, maybe Robin's mufflers, along.. Oh - that's another chapter....

Anyway - my thanks Steve and all for the honest input... If any Rennlist Sponsor has these - can they please PM me or post back in this thread? (Bob, Steve, Matt, Kary, Alfie, others????) Not looking for price - but rather - where I can get one that is new. And since I have to buy one - I want it to be from a Rennlist Sponsor or Member. That's just "me"....

Thanks!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 02:59 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi John:

A new cooler is $ 402.56 at the Dealer and I'd venture that Ira Porsche would treat you very well on that.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Leaking..?