Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost for new suspension installation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 05:28 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Cost for new suspension installation?

I'm looking at having the M030/Bilstein HD/sway bars installed in my car. One of the big Porsche shops in Chicago told me it would take them 2 days to do the work (install & align) but they would graciously only charge me $1200. (but he also is pushing hard the PSS-9 system with monoballs, for a total cost of well over $4000). Doesn't $1200 seem excessive for installation & alignment? Another shop with only Audi/VW/BMW experience is telling me about 7-8 hrs, or $500 (but they're not a Porsche shop so maybe they can't align it properly...).
Old 12-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Eric,

My PSS-9's and Rs sway bars cost me $700 to install, align and corner balance, but this is an atypically low price. I think most people have paid $1000 to $1200 for the complete install.

BTW, the PSS-9's are worth the money of you are serious about the track.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:57 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard that the mono-***** are really unsuitable for a street-driven car, but that may be dependent upon your level of NVH tolerance. What sway bars are you going to use? Is the alignment going to include a corner balance?

You may want to consider a road trip to viperbob's house for the suspension install. Trust me... it'd be worth it!
Old 12-30-2003, 07:03 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric
I am in the same exact situation geographically.
My car has the US 030 but I was looking at the ROW 030 springs/dampers and RS swaybars or the PSS9 setup (from Gert) to determine my costs for the parts only. I have not talked to any local Chicago shops yet.
Since selling our 1992 BMW 325iC last week, my slippery slope budget is in the black - as my SO has so graciously encouraged me "You know what you want, honey - just do it!"

On the other hand, maybe we could buy ViperBob a round-trip plane ticket and invite him out to Chicago for a weekend tech session, all expenses paid, and we'd learn something too, while he actually did all the work.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:40 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

I just learned that my $500 install quote doesn't include alignment, so I'm figuring that $1000 for install & align is about right.

SteveG- p-car.com has some particular recommendations for cars with US M030 option, so check it out. Also, Gert is no longer selling the PSS-9 setup for 993s, so you'd have to find a local source. I'm thinking more about Gert's H&R/Bilstein HD/SwayBars package. Progressive springs, stiffer than stock, adjustable rear sway bar, no adjustable shocks, but cheaper than PSS-9.

OK VIPERBOB - ready for a vacation to Chicago?
Old 12-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 days for the install is not really reasonable. An experienced mechanic should easily be able to install, corner balance and align in less than 1 day.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:50 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally posted by Jeff 993TT
2 days for the install is not really reasonable. An experienced mechanic should easily be able to install, corner balance and align in less than 1 day.
Custom Alignment needs one day just to align and corner-balance.

Bob put on the PSS9s in my RUF last Saturday, and it took from 9am to 5 pm. and we had all the parts. Granted the RUF has some extremely weird set up and took a lot longer to dis-assemble to reach the rear mounts. So if someone takes the time to do it right, two days would not be way too excessive.

CP
Old 12-30-2003, 09:29 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pong,

I had all of Fritz and Wolfgangs work to try and figure out on the RUF. A typical PSS9 install is about 4-5 hours. With a corner balance and aligment, you are at 8 - 9 hours...

Eric - unless you plan to do a lot of track and need more negative camber, the monoballs are a waste. They do not adversely effect ride quality, and they make no noise, but then they cost almost $1100. Yes, they may give you a bit more turn in because you have less rubber to in the suspension, etc. , etc. You would be much better off with the PSS9s and a set of TRG sway bars....

Chicago huh.. In winter?? What an opportunity.. Do you know how many times I have been stranded at the O'Hare Hilton in the winter? I think I have my name on one of the rooms there..
Old 12-30-2003, 09:41 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Bob,

That's why I made that proviso about RUF stuffing the engine bay, definitely no disrespect to you here. In fact, both Custom Alignment and Tony quoted 6-8 hours for a PSS9 install.

CP
Old 12-31-2003, 09:31 AM
Deano
Instructor

I'm in the Chicago area too. I'm looking into suspension mods as well. After riding in Keith r3's c4s I realize I'm driving a de-tuned porsche. His car felt like the gum-grip, rail slot, g force that is expected from a true sports car. I am just looking through old posts for info on the best set up for me (and most cost efficient). I'm not planning to track the car, I will take long road trips, and I will find the best back roads to cruise on early weekend mornings.
Anyway, Eric, who quoted you? Maybe we could go in on a group deal or something. I was thinking of talking to Rick Fisher at Fisher motorsports in Barrington........ or the Exchange (Bill Thompson).
Any suggestions on what I should budget for this project? I want to keep my stock 17" rims.

Thank's deano
Old 12-31-2003, 10:08 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

I have the US M030 and my mechanic quoted $850 to install the ROW springs/HD Shocks and do the alignment.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:19 AM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

If there's a group buy on ROW M030+Bilstein HD soon, I'm in.

Eric, you have email.

A happy and safe New Year to all.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:35 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Eric,

I just had the work described done, minus the sway bars. Cost at a very good independent in Syracuse (Go Orange) was $800, installation and alignment.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:38 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Perfect Power, Libertyville, IL, and $1,200 is about what I paid for an installation (9 hours) and alignment/corner balance (4 hours). I've been going to this shop for two years and their work is superb. Fortunately or unfortunately, they don't take shortcuts so while they might not be the best deal in town, I'm always confident that the job was done right.

Many of the Club Racers also use Midwest Eurosport, Bensonville, (Eric in Chicago) and the aforementioned Fischer's (Mike in Chi). You might want to check the http://www.pca-chicago.org tech section for additional information. Here's the link to a list of local shops with commentary.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:26 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

steve g, Deano, David in Chicago, Shrek993 - You all have mail. Let's email offline.

Joey- Perfect Power is in fact who I was referring to. They're certainly advocating the best stuff out there, but I think it's just more than I need.

Quick Reply: Cost for new suspension installation?