Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

RS Sway Bar Drop Link Orientation

Old 11-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
For the RS front arb, can you use the turbo front drop links? Or do they have to be the RS specific drop links?
The RS links are specific for the RS bar, whether Turbo links would work is an open question.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The RS links are specific for the RS bar, whether Turbo links would work is an open question.
At my ride height (rs+10) it looked like m030 links would work from a geo point of view. Whether they are strong enough to handle the stiffer bar... not sure.

The rs links are slightly shorter and supposedly a little beefier.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Another question for this group - swaybars related.

In order to fit the bushing and bracket for thefront bar, I had to loosen the subframe to make enough room to squeeze them in. Do I need a front-end alignment now, or does it bolt back in exactly the way it came out?
Old 11-09-2018, 05:18 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I noticed that the cosmoline left a stencil where the subframe sides attach to the unibody so you can eyeball it back to position. There is definitely some front to back and side to side play for the subframe side when you attach it to the unibody so sure you could knock the alignment out causing one or both wheels to toe in/out if it doesn't go back in the same.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by samurai_k
I noticed that the cosmoline left a stencil where the subframe sides attach to the unibody so you can eyeball it back to position. There is definitely some front to back and side to side play for the subframe side when you attach it to the unibody so sure you could knock the alignment out causing one or both wheels to toe in/out if it doesn't go back in the same.
Makes sense. I drove it today and the steering wheel was cocked to the left one or two degrees. So I think I must have made a slight alteration to toe or caster. You were able to get it back in close enough that there was no appreciable impact to your alignment?

I just got a full alignment, so not looking forward to getting another right away if I can avoid it.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

I did the front and back end suspension together so had to get the alignment done. I did setup some strings and had a digital protractor which helped me get the front end aligned within tolerances. The alignment made it exact as I figured out later my garage floor is actually not completely level. Doh!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:45 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

At my ride height (rs+10) it looked like m030 links would work from a geo point of view. Whether they are strong enough to handle the stiffer bar... not sure.

The rs links are slightly shorter and supposedly a little beefier.
Im sure the turbo front drop links are more than stout enough. The weak point is where they mount on the wheel carrier. That 10mm shaft has sheared off at the carrier on me before. Have the H&Rs, so they are sorta “tested”.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Im sure the turbo front drop links are more than stout enough. The weak point is where they mount on the wheel carrier. That 10mm shaft has sheared off at the carrier on me before. Have the H&Rs, so they are sorta “tested”.
Thanks
Old 11-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

Makes sense. I drove it today and the steering wheel was cocked to the left one or two degrees. So I think I must have made a slight alteration to toe or caster. You were able to get it back in close enough that there was no appreciable impact to your alignment?

I just got a full alignment, so not looking forward to getting another right away if I can avoid it.
I moved the subframe so it matches the cosmoline marks and I think it’s pretty darned close now. But... it’s still feels just a little off.

My question for the group: Since I just had a full alignment done and know my rear is setup correctly, do you think I can get the front end done (toe and caster), without worrying about touching the rear? If so, I can use a local alignment shop that’s easier to use, but doesn’t have as much 993 experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS Sway Bar Drop Link Orientation