Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Drive Cycle

No longer have a 993, but my neighbor does. He is getting these codes:
Cat Monitor
Evap System Monitor
Secondary Air System
O2 Sensor Monitor
O2 Sensor Heater Monitor

Can he get these cleared with a drive cycle? If so, what is the latest recommended drive cycle. You can PM me, or email me and I will forward it to him. My email is:
mfschacht@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:18 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 518 Posts

A healthy 993 will reset all those codes with the normal bmw drive cycle. There is a thread right above this one with the instructions or through google. Keep in mind, cycles need to be done at least twice with a complete cool down in between (I.e. overnight).
Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 PM
ONEOFEW
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I tired the BMW cycle on my 97 by the book at least twice, result was no go! Some of the monitors would not set. So I gave up on it, over time periodically drove it here n there, few mo later when I was up for smog check, plugged in the OBD reader, to my suprize it was all good. Honestly driving it a for a week, daily commute might do the trick also.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:52 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

As said somewhere in the sticky thread above, it depends on the year. 96 are much more difficult than 97 and 98. But the consensus is to use the BMW cycle and it may take many attempts. A 96 will probably never just magically pass for just driving....
Old 03-30-2018, 12:33 PM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 244 Posts

All of those items must be replaced. Once I fixed mine, it consistently takes one BMW drive cycle to reset the codes on my 96.

I am very careful to never exceed 3000 RPM during the entire trip. I do not even have to and idle for 5-mins at the end, the codes reset as soon as I stop. I know this because I have the OBD2 reader plugged-in before starting the car up.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:46 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Last I checked for 1996-2000 vehicles:

- There are only 2 places in the US (Lake and Porter counties in Indiana) that require all 5 monitors to be READY in order to get tested.
- CA is the next toughest where only EVAP can be NOT READY.
- In all other's, you can have TWO monitors NOT READY.

Your friend will still need to drive around, but getting 3 or 4 monitors ready will be easier than getting all 5.

BTW, I intentionally take my 97 C2S to emissions with the AIR monitor NOT READY - this masks my SAI faults. (No SAI codes can get thrown until the AIR monitor is READY).
Old 03-30-2018, 02:25 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
As said somewhere in the sticky thread above, it depends on the year. 96 are much more difficult than 97 and 98. But the consensus is to use the BMW cycle and it may take many attempts. A 96 will probably never just magically pass for just driving....
Not true in the bold text above, as these statements are no more than one persons experience.

Having a healthy car with decent O2 sensors, EVAP and SAI system is the key.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:33 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Not true in the bold text above, as these statements are no more than one persons experience.

First, it's not one person's experience; many have said the same on the sticky thread above. Second, from what I've been told, the software was changed to -- in laymen's terms -- be less finicky. If you know -- KNOW -- differently, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll go with the mechanics I've talked with about this.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:22 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by SwayBar
All of those items must be replaced.
These items?
Cat Monitor
Evap System Monitor
Secondary Air System
O2 Sensor Monitor
O2 Sensor Heater Monitor
Old 03-30-2018, 07:53 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by SwayBar
All of those items must be replaced.
No. It's FAR more likely that he just disconnected the battery and needs to run the cycle. You're talking THOUSANDS to replace all those systems when it'll likely be fixed (or at the very least reduced) for just a little gas, time, and patience.

These threads regularly come up in the spring when people are removing their cars from hibernation.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
No. It's FAR more likely that he just disconnected the battery and needs to run the cycle. You're talking THOUSANDS to replace all those systems when it'll likely be fixed (or at the very least reduced) for just a little gas, time, and patience.

These threads regularly come up in the spring when people are removing their cars from hibernation.
Right. The 2 most likely explanations for ALL 5 non-continuous monitors being NOT READY is a battery disconnect/connect or an OBD scanner RESET. NOT READY monitors are not "codes", so are neither "good" nor "bad". They're simply an indication that the car hasn't yet experienced the time/temp/speed/rpm/distance.... conditions it needs to make its emission measurements. It's the car's way of saying "I don't know yet, drive around some more". So when you show up at emissions with too many NOT READY monitors (>2 in most states) you technically don't FAIL, you get REJECTED because the car can't yet report how clean or dirty it is.

Much of the confusion about monitors would be eliminated if people understood a basic principle of OBD2: emissions stations aren't really "testing" anything - they're just reading out the results of the tests your car did on itself. Basically, they're an expensive print service and network connection. When cars get internet connections they'll be both self-testing AND self-reporting and emissions stations will be a thing of the past.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:46 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Read here: http://www.systemsc.com/codes.htm

6. Some early OBDII vehicles, e.g. Porsche 993 ('96), may require three trips as in #1 above
versus two trips for later vehicles ('97), e.g. updated firmware, and/or may also require a waiver
from the emissions regulatory agency. Also, some of these early vehicles may reset the readiness
codes at engine shut-down before completion of a trip requiring the starting of another new trip.
If a cycle fails, e.g. EVAP or SAI, during a subsequent trip but before completion of all necessary
trips, the required number of trips must be restarted.
Porsche 993 Cycle Flag Basics
1. CAT Efficiency - using rear O2 sensors, must drive @ medium load & RPMs < 2500
2. O2 Sensor Aging - monitors O2 sensors' waveform period, must drive @ 2 load ranges,
i.e. light/medium loads
3. SAI - monitors front O2 sensors' minimum voltage, done @ idle or via Short Test
4. Tank Venting - monitors tank vacuum, done @ idle or via Short Test
5. Adaptation - monitors TRAs & FRAs, done @ idle RPM & @ 1500 < RPM < 3000
for 15 seconds @ each RPM (driving not required)

Notes: The above cycle flags when completed (set) comprise one trip. After completion of the
1st trip, the engine is stopped (cycle flags reset) & restarted to begin the 2nd trip, followed by
a 3rd trip if necessary. A cold engine is required between trips for the SAI test if not using the
Short Test. If the engine is stopped, e.g. stalled, before completion of the trip, the trip must be
restarted from the beginning & all completed cycle flags are reset for that trip. Once all the
necessary trips have been completed, the readiness codes will be indicated by an OBDII scanner.
The exception to this is the '98 993, where only one trip is required over numerous days, and the
readiness codes appear as they complete using a generic OBDII scanner.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 03-31-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:38 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six

Originally Posted by inkatouring
That's totally not true. Just driving around has cleared my 96 on at least two occasions after the battery had been disconnected.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:51 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
That's totally not true. Just driving around has cleared my 96 on at least two occasions after the battery had been disconnected.
But, in the majority of the '96 993s it's true, i.e. To SET the all the monitors on a '96 it typically takes 3 trips versus two on the '97 & one on a '98.
Furthermore, without using a Porsche tester, the engine must be cold before beginning each trip on a '96/'97.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 04-01-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Ranger520
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

Do the readiness codes on the durametric tool show readiness with car running or in ignition position 1? Trying to determine readiness and with engine off they all read “pass”.

Have accomplished the drive cycle 4 times.

Quick Reply: Drive Cycle