Sponsored by:

Need advice on PPI

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 07:48 PM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need advice on PPI

I followed the advice of obtaining a PPI on a 1998 Cab with 4700 miles. the car was supsequently inspected at Suncoast Porsche in Sarasoto, FL. The mechanic sites minor stuff such as brake and cluth system flushes and airbag service. Of more concern were mention of the need for an alternator belt pulley update and small end crank seal and intermediate shaft O-ring leakage resulting in minor seepage. Estimate cost of repairing
these items is $1000. A yearly service was also recommended for another $400.

I am not sure whether these are minor issues brought up by the dealer to garner business, or necessary repairs that should be addressed now before I close the deal with the non-Porsche dealer seller. Negotiated sale price of 61k plus 1200k to ship to CA is where were before the PPI. Interested to hear how more experienced owners out there would handle this. Thanks again for the previous help.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:08 AM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a local mechanic in CA you could ask him to review the PPI results and give the dealership tech a call to clarify things.

If I were in your shoes I'd prefer to get a price reduction to cover the necessary repairs, and then have them done locally where you either have a relationship or will have one. Being in Calif, having the repairs done in Florida doesn't give you the opportunity to review the work done (even though the dealership is well regarded...I'm not criticizing Suncoast).

I don't know much about prices of '98 cabs, so I can't comment on your deal.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need advice on PPI