Sponsored by:

wheel refurb needed (w/pic)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003 | 03:56 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Default wheel refurb needed (w/pic)

Fellow Rennlister's :

So, the PO of my 993 was a little careless when parking, and as a result 3 of the 4 wheels have major scratches on them... I've had a "wheel pro" look at them, and he'll repair them for an exorbitant amount of $$, but the real kicker is they will no longer have their existing finish. So, being the cheapskate that I am, I would like to fix them myself... plus, I'd like to give them the TLC they deserve. Is using my new dremel tool a good idea, or am I going to make them worse?? Any other ideas?

Hopefully this pic shows up.. the focus was poor.

Season's best to everyone...

Grant
Old 12-22-2003 | 04:12 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

You can do it yourself but it's not simple. The basic technique that the wheel pros use is to grind down the repair area, use plastic filler (bondo) on the area, sand down with various grits of paper until perfect, prime and repaint. You can do a perfect job but you need the proper tools and some skill at using them.
Old 12-22-2003 | 04:31 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm with JC. Your wheels are painted and will only look good with a good repair and paint job. If you can do that great. I had mine done at Wheel Techniques in Campbell for about $200 per wheel (for 17" cup). I had some pothole damage (dents) fixed at the same time.
Old 12-22-2003 | 07:30 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i had mine done at wheel techniques - but i got a better deal than Tom - i paid $135.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 12-22-2003 | 07:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boris: It probably would have been that cheap for me too except 2 of my 4 had significant dents that needed repair (I got a quote for the whole package of repair, repaint and mount new tires). My $200 was an estimate that tried to remove the repair/mount cost.

Bottom line: Boris' quote is probably best for a simple fix & repaint.
Old 12-23-2003 | 05:45 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Ok... DIY doesn't sound like such a hot idea.
I'll check out the Wheel Techniques in Santa Clara.
Thanks!
Old 12-23-2003 | 07:06 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

I have a similar curb rash issue, and was planning to tackle it myself.
There's a good diy here:
http://www.autopia.ws/topics.php?topicId=12

Although for only $135 a wheel...It might be worth doing professionally...
Old 12-23-2003 | 07:11 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There is a pic by pic DIY on this site some where it looks pretty
simple if you have the right tools and paint
do a search and look at it before you drop $600.
it looks like something you can do in a weekend.

here it is right here:
http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthre...=5&o=7&fpart=1

Old 12-23-2003 | 09:46 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Grant,

I followed the DIY on autopia and did not have good results. If I were to do it all over again, I would definitely take them to Wheel Techniques. The Wurth Silver paint is not a perfect match! I was surprised at the amazing results of the autopia DIY. My wheels must be too grimy or have faded over time.

-nelson
Old 12-23-2003 | 09:55 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

I had very good results at Wheel Techniques, and it was a dented way out of balance wheel, not just scratched. From looking at their process on site, it appears they re-cast the wheel in their oven.
Old 12-23-2003 | 11:33 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Anybody like them in the New York area? I've got curb rash, too.
Old 12-24-2003 | 02:52 AM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't try and refinish a wheel with a Dremel tool. You'll just get waves and pits and it will look worse, plus may structurally weaken the wheel. A professional will grind them down, weld a bead over the dips and grind them down again perfectly smooth. Then they'll sandblast and repaint the wheels for around $150 each. I've used Weidman Wheels in Oroville CA with great results, they will pick them up, unmount and remount the tires for a little extra money.
Old 12-31-2003 | 11:49 PM
autopia
8th Gear

Originally posted by nels415
Grant,

I followed the DIY on autopia and did not have good results. If I were to do it all over again, I would definitely take them to Wheel Techniques. The Wurth Silver paint is not a perfect match! I was surprised at the amazing results of the autopia DIY. My wheels must be too grimy or have faded over time.

-nelson
A few notes about DIY wheel repair... the metallic content in the paint changes from batch to batch. While the color may be the same, matching metallic content is also key. The Volvo paint code that is also a close match to the Porsche paint. If your wheels have very fine metallic, the Volvo paint will make a better repair.

DIY wheel repair takes some experience with paint. The biggest mistake people make it applying the paint in heavy coats. If you spray the silver too heavy the metallic will floar to the top and run. This will make the color match appear to be too dark. Spray 2-3 light, dry coats for best results. Wipe the dust away with a tack cloth between coats.

I have completed two full restorations and several repairs. The most recent repair was to my 19" Cayenne S wheels. After I completed the rub out, you cannot see the repair. I used the Einszett paint this time, as Wurth has been out of stock in the factory since September.

I will find the Volvo paint code and post it.

~ David
Old 12-31-2003 | 11:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just did it to my TT and it worked great see my last thread on
DIY bonanza
Old 01-01-2004 | 06:52 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Grant, another thing you might consider would be trying to find replacement wheels that were taken off of a new/barely used car for the damaged ones you have now. If you're giving yours in return, the cost might not be too bad (although I honestly have no idea). If nothing else, the turnaround time is likely quicker.

Wheel Enhancement has the factory Targa wheels, too. Again though, I don't know how much they cost.

Good luck, and let us know how they turn out whichever course of action you take.

-Chris

Quick Reply: wheel refurb needed (w/pic)