Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another RS Carpet Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Curious why you chose wood for your track mats?

I may need to borrow that idea for my track car.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Foxman, thanks for sharing the write up. The attention to detail is phenomenal. Is it possible to take a video or some pictures of your rear seat area? I am interested how the RS interior is compared to the stock interior.

A few questions...

Do you delete the stock rear side panels with carpeted one?

Did you replace the headliner too?

Do you delete the rear seats/belts? Can you reinstall them if needed? I have three small kids for a while so I need a back seat for dad's "race car".

When you made the custom rear deck and moved the speakers did you perf the deck carpet for the speakers?

Thanks!
Here’s a photo I found of the rear interior before the DAS roll bar was fully in. As you can see there are no holes in the deck carpet for the speakers. The carpet is so thin there’s no need to cut any holes. Thanks to Bill Verburg for this tip, and for so many of his helpful posts on RS carpet install.

You can can keep the stock rear quarter panels if you wish. I wanted to lose the weight. You can also keep the original rear deck lid if you want. Lots of options.

Yes, you can reinstall the rear seatbelts. The seat bottoms will be gone, and some safety experts might chime in, but it still works.

No need to replace the headliner. A new liner is necessary with a sunroof delete, but not the RS carpet.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
Curious why you chose wood for your track mats?

I may need to borrow that idea for my track car.
I’m a huge fan of Rennline’s track mats, but the aluminum mats get slippery when wet. I find the wood mats don’t slip as much, they only cost a few bucks to make, and they’re easy to repaint from time to time.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:12 PM
motobri
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Rather than create a new thread and since this seems to be one of the best, most recent threads, I'll ask here.

Just started my carpet removal to prep for the RS kit from Bob @ AppBiz and have questions for those that have done this..

1. I'm waiting on the Xylene from Amazon for the thinner stuff but for now, what tools are you using to remove the thick stuff? My metal scrapers aren't cutting it. (literally)

2. How far up the front of tunnel are you going? Removing pedal assembly? Anyone leave what seems like pretty good OE padding?

3. Are you deleting the cardboard rails along the sides of the seat mounts? and the black plastic vents below the seat belt mounts?

4.Did you leave the OE jute in the footwell corners? Looks intact and in good shape?

5. For those that are keep ing the stock seat belts, are you just mounting over the carpet, leaving reels visible?

6. For the thinner final stuff, what are you using to apply and scrape off with the Xylene? Rags and blades or?

7. OK to hit the wrapped wire bundles w/ Xylene?

7. Lastly, how many of you have not cut out the thin raised metal brackets and in the back seat and rear shelf area? And could you pad over them to keep the look smooth?

As a side note, I may try the dry icing from the shop that does the undercarriage cleaning for the final removal stage.

Cardboard runner

Plastic vent

Footwell jute

Last edited by motobri; 03-21-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:08 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

I spent this afternoon trying to remove that blasted glue from the tub...

I first started with goo gone, then goof off, and then ended with acetone. The goo products are ok to loosen a light glue. The stuff they sprayed near the rockers is on thick and so only way was using the acetone to cut through it. I didn't get too far as I was only able to finish the driver side rocker in an afternoon.

I would have used xylene to go faster but started late today so waiting until next weekend as I like a full day to "gas off" the stuff before closing up my garage

In terms of technique, I would moisten the glue area with the solvent until it is wet and then used mechanical action to loosen the glue.

I first stated with an old flimsy hotel card key. It worked ok for spots where the glue was thinly applied, as I could work the area with the card and then wipe the sticky goo with a heavy duty shop rag.

Once it got thicker I switched to using one of those plastic cleaning brushes you can get a 3pk of in the paint section at the hardware store and then lightly sprayed acetone on the thick glue and agitated the glue until it loosened up and into larger glue ***** and away from the paint.

It's a big sticky mess so use those cloth gloves that are covered in nitrile and a long sleeve shirt. Also had a rag soaked in mineral spirits to pick up those glue ***** as it was the only way to not keep on smearing the melted glue somewhere else on the tub. Box fans and an organic respirator / googles to protect yourself of course to vent out the fumes out of the cabin and out of your work space.

So not fun. Terrible job and can't wait to finish it.

Last edited by samurai_k; 03-22-2021 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:09 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

I swear with that xylene, respirator, eye protection and heavy duty gloves that stuff just gets into your mucous membranes (eyes especially) and just makes it intolerable to use in a small space like our interiors. Took about a week just to get the smell out. YUK
Old 03-23-2021, 01:27 AM
motobri
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Come on y'all, chime in on my questions.

PFA.

My new favorite tool. F**K, This is a serious workout.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:20 PM
yoitsdre
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Xylene makes a world of difference but like others pointed out it's nasty stuff. I used PVC gloves, 3M mask with filters and long sleeve. It evaporates pretty quickly so you have to find the right balance between letting it sit and scrub. Goo gone was ok for the lighter stuff but nowhere near as effective as Xylene. Get some terry cloth and soak, scrub, wipe, vacuum, repeat.
I didn't remove the pedal assembly and left some of the upper padding in there. I did cover everything with soundproofing, closed cell foam for the rear tunnel and rear seats area and then mlv on top and for everything else.
Cardboards and vents gone. The vent flaps hardly flapping on mine so figured there was not much use.
I did leave some of the good condition OE jute in the footwell but covered it with MLV
Still debating whether or not to go with the RS carpet for the rear armrests. I might be putting the OE panels and rear shelf back to break up the all-carpet look a little. Still undecided.
I used Xylene over the harness to get some of the bulky stuff out but it was very lightly. i didn't want the harness loom to get loose.
I cut off the rear seat bracket in the rear tunnel but i left the other brackets in there for the rear shelf. But again my plan was to reuse the rear shelf again. The closed cell foam would help cover that up if you plan to use the carpet mat in place of the shelf. That's if the brackets are even noticeable which I don't think they are.
The following users liked this post:
motobri (03-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Another RS Carpet Install