993 Forum 1995-1998

Scottsdale Auctions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 05:56 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Hi Nathan, I enjoyed the "not so good" pics you posted the other day. Brings balance. Cheers.
Ed- Glad you enjoyed them! The challenge is making sure I don't come across as too negative or slam someones pride and joy. The key takeaway is that some really amazing cars are at these auctions, some fairly good cars, some so-so cars and some truly horrific examples. One thing they share in common however is that they look look and sound amazing in the auction catalog/photos and also when they cross the block on TV. Unless you have seen them in person you have no idea if they were a "Deal" or not. IMO there are lots of experts at these events so true "Deals" are rare. So when you see a low number 95% of the time there is a good reason...
Old 01-21-2018, 07:50 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I ran a non-Porsche through Gooding. It was an ok sale but they definitely rushed it. There was probably more money left in it.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
Ed- Glad you enjoyed them! The challenge is making sure I don't come across as too negative or slam someones pride and joy. The key takeaway is that some really amazing cars are at these auctions, some fairly good cars, some so-so cars and some truly horrific examples. One thing they share in common however is that they look look and sound amazing in the auction catalog/photos and also when they cross the block on TV. Unless you have seen them in person you have no idea if they were a "Deal" or not. IMO there are lots of experts at these events so true "Deals" are rare. So when you see a low number 95% of the time there is a good reason...
I think your comments were professional, and not disparaging at all. The one interior pic’s comment was spot on.

At your tech session in Bend a couple of months ago, I liked how you noted that it’s ok to make a car how you want it, and have done so to some of yours. Of course, doing such could impact price, if one is selling.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:14 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by George 993s
That's a lot of $ i thought it might sell around the $90,000 to $100,000 being a plain - jane even with the low milage. Seller is a happy camper.
​​​
Originally Posted by Tony.CO
Price was $120k plus $12k auction fee (10%). I too thought it was $100k all day.
The seller probably only got $100K.

Typically in these auctions there is a 10% buyers premium and a 10% sellers fee, so while the buyer paid $132K, the seller only gets $108K. And usually there are additional auction house fees for the seller, marketing, photography, etc. and if the car was shipped to the auction probably the seller only netted $100K or a bit more.

Last edited by centerpunch; 01-21-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Mr. slick
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathan1
Do you think this is true at auctions with less Pcars?

I attended and watched the prices at the recent Mecum auction in Kissimmee. There were some good sales on the last two days but prior to that Porsches seemed to be falling short of the reserve or selling for below market prices, a couple of them I had seen and briefly checked out, but I am no where close to an expert, quite the opposite.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong. But, I believe the buyers premium is added to the gavel price.

"centerpunch:
"The seller probably only got $100K.

Typically in these auctions there is a 10% buyers premium and a 10% sellers fee, so while the buyer paid $132K, the seller only gets $108K. And usually there are additional auction house fees for the seller, marketing, photography, etc. and if the car was shipped to the auction probably the seller only netted $100K or a bit more.""
Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

You're not wrong. Seller only had 10% sellers premium deducted so about $14K unless he had other cars at Gooding and was able to negotiate a slightly better rate of premium for himself.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

The gavel price was $120K.

Buyer pays 10% more, i.e., $120K + $12K = $132K.

Seller gets 10% less, i.e., $120K - $12K = $108K.

If you do the math, the seller gets about 82% of what the seller pays. ($108K / $132K = 81.82%)

There are probably other fees the seller pays in advance, e.g., photography, marketing, and of course, transporting the car.

Maybe the seller ended up netting $105K if he was lucky.

Quick Reply: Scottsdale Auctions