Hard Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 10:06 PM
Chris Cantrell
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hard Brakes

Hi,

Me again ..... just enjoying my new 993 and getting a baseline to what to expect

I have noticed that my brakes have very "little" play - in other words, they are real hard. Is this a sign of a great break job that was done before I got the car? It seems to brake just fine but just want to ensure.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, it now has been my daily driver for over 1 month and going strong! If you are thinking of a daily driver which is a sports car, go with the 993!
-chris
Old 10-26-2002, 10:41 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's the nature of the beast. I got pretty addicted to that rock-hard pedal, and like many here bought a Motive Products pressure bleeder to ensure I hung onto it. If/when you start doing DEs in your car, you'll want the pressure bleeder to flush the brake fluid 1-2 times/year, and bleed after every event to ensure you get out the air bubbles.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:47 PM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

Most likely the system is just well bled; however, if the brakes are rock hard and they require a lot of pedal effort, it could be a brake booster problem.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Chris Cantrell
AutoX

I was thinking the same also (brake booster). In fact, a local shop wanted to replace it due to the noise, which I have found it is normal. I am not sure I trust that shop but that is another story. Is the Brake Booster a DIY job?

Cheers,
-chris
Old 10-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Everything's relative - I find them soft in comparison to my old '84 Carrera Turbo Look, which had the 930 brakes. That car had the most phenomenal brakes I've ever experienced - pedal solid as a rock; hardly moved a mm as you applied heavier and heavier brake pressure.

You're happy - that's all that counts. But if you have to really stand on the brakes to do an emergency stop (i.e., full braking) you might have a booster problem (like Vinny and Chris mention).
Old 10-28-2002, 11:32 AM
JohnM
Racer

I'd agree with Ray, don't find the pedal nearly as hard as I'd like. If you have an opportunity to watch what happens to the front calipers while someone gives the brake pedal a good shove (with engine running) there is a surprising amount of caliper flex, at least on the std calipers. Maybe the big reds are stiffer?
Old 10-28-2002, 08:35 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I too love the brake pedal hard, the less travel the better. Linearity is key though. I have heard that the BR will flex more than the stock black calipers, I wonder how they compare to the newer monoblock units.

Whey, though I'd never get to #500.

Jason

Quick Reply: Hard Brakes