Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT... Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 08:17 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

A '96 993tt is my dream car. I had a student with one at Road America, and it absolutely blew me away. I am an aggressive driver, though, and I'm hesitent to take that much power (and money) to 10/10. I'm safer in my '93 NA993.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:24 PM
b423050
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've put about 20k miles on my 02 S4 Avant and have been very happy. The fit and finish is excellent and the handling is superb. I'm not convinced I like the styling cues on the new one however. With 01's and 02's selling for around 30 grand I think I would give a used on serious consideration. I would also mention that it's not the roomiest back seat. For that you'd have to step up to the S6.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:17 PM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by Doug H
Would not the downer about the V8 be that it is very limited in regards to modifications or hp boost. The S4 twin 2.7 TT was pretty easy to mod. Had an S4 2.7 and a TT 225.
AmD in the UK are already doing mods for the B6 S4, and quoting rolling road figures around 410bhp
For more info try paying www.rs246.com a visit and having a trawl through the B6 S4 section for owners feedback.

Cheers,
John.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes

Originally posted by Viken
That can be said about the entire model range. Especially, compared to current Audi models.
I couldn't agree more. I traded in my 2000 MB S500 after only 4 months of ownership. That's the last time I'll buy into the myth of modern Mercedes "built like a tank" quality for $89K.

I'm not knocking the older MB's, but the new ones are questionable. I read an Autocar article that cited something like a 35% rate of significant problems among current MB owners within the first year of ownership.

Then again, the front differential on our BMW-engineered 2003 Range Rover failed after only 17,000 miles and the E46 M3 blew an engine at 8,000 miles. Sure makes you appreciate the 993 - it keeps running and running, track event after daily drive, at least until you spin in the Kink at RA.

Undergoing the final phase of surgery at John Wright's race shop in Cinci:

Old 12-30-2003, 03:27 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you're looking for more mod ideas, take a look at the February 2004 issue of European Car. The feature story is an S4 shootout which compares a dozen modified B5 turbos on the dyno, drag strip and road course. Three of the cars dyno'd at over 400 hp and the best 1/4 mile was 12.39 seconds. For perspective, that's the same 1/4-mile time as the 996TT and 0.4 seconds faster than a Ferrari 360 Modena.

And Doug, the January cover story details how you can get 354 rwhp (~417 bhp) from your 996 using Evomotorports $10K supercharger package. C'mon buddy, we need someone on the 964 board to tell us what 0-60 in 4.0 seconds feels like.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 12-30-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:50 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I have driven a C32 AMG and the B5 and B6 Audi S4s. The C32 was certainly powerful, but very small and didn't stir the least emotion. The B5, forget, I am spoiled by the C4S, S2000, and Superformance Cobras. The B6 is powerful, but not as quick as the HP/torque would suggest, I ssume because of weight and driveline losses. Also seemed to rev pretty high on the highway, and eats gas for a modern car.

Personally, if you don't need a big car, go look at the STi. BEfore you bite my head off, realize that you can buy a regular Impreza/WRX hood and slap it on, and get rid of the ugly wing. You can get one new for high 20s, and they are really quick, good in foul weather, and I would not mind beating it up a bit. Not great for long drives, though, so if that is what you need, look elsewhere. Get a used M5 or E55 if you need a highway cruiser. The previous generation E55s were far mroe satisfying to me than the C32, and you can get them pretty cheap now, too. Also fairly stealthy. An 01 M5 would also be a great car. Any of these would obviously need snow tires in winter, but with appropriate rubber, all should function well in foul weather, especially the Subie (w/ good rubber).

If you don't need speed, you just need safe transport that's cheap and good in all weather, get a Subie Forester. Safest small SUV out there, reasonable mileage, and the turbo moves OK. Not luxury, but good, decent little cars/SUVs.

Have Fun.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:57 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck - a Bugeye? Absolutely great! I almost bought a black one years ago, and my dad owned them when I was a kid. Also love the 3000s... Very cool.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:36 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Stedge,
The Bugeye is the 993s alter ego. It is fun to drive slow, cute, and gets waves from everyone. It makes me slow down, enjoy the scenery, and look for places to bail out just in case the person in front of me stops suddenly I can even work on the engine!
The parts are cheap...and worth it...and when I get back into my 993, I feel like I'm sitting in a steel vault. But the Bugeye still makes me smile when I walk up to it, and I love to take it for a spin, even in 20 degree weather. Stop by for a ride any time

Chuck

Last edited by KOAN; 12-30-2003 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:05 PM
howie
Instructor

I have a stock 2000 s4, I've been afraid to chip it. I've heard they can ruin the turbos, any comments?
Old 12-31-2003, 05:23 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Howie- You GOTS to check out the audiworld forums. Sure, the chips can blow up your car if done incorrectly, but when done properly result in serious hp gains at acceptable risk levels to your engine/turbos. I understand chipping to be pretty common with S4's. I think the problem is that chipping voids the warranty. But from what I understand, if the turbos go, regardless of whether you've mod'd your car, Audi won't cover it just cuz they SUSPECT you mod'd it. Kind of a controversy apparently.

p.s. I'm not sure about any of that since I don't own an Audi.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:55 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Howie,
If you use a well made chip, and there are many out there, your turbos won't be put at any appreciable risk. You can, of course, fry any turbo if you aren't careful. I've had mine, and many student's chipped and even some Stage 3 heavily modded S4s on the track in 90+ weather without a problem. I saw one S4 fry its turbos at the track, but I don't know the details.
Each dealership is different with regards to warranty claims. My dealership even sold chips for a while, as did Scottsdale Porsche /Audi. I bought a 2nd box so I could swap for service calls, but have never used it. The power gains are really impressive, and the power delivery is still very smooth, although can be made better with an exhaust, etc. I highly recommend it. You should be able to try one out before you buy. They take 5 minutes to install. I have an MTM from Hoppen, but APR, GAIAC, and others are known for their safety and reliability.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:03 PM
DCLee
Pro

Guys:

FWIW, I have a 993 RS and a modded S4 (B5). The S4 is a rocketship with some intelligent modding, but it will cost you in terms of maintenance. I consider it the German Alfa Romeo. I have a Stage II+ with big Alcons and Koni race coilovers and a lot of other tricks, I wound up throwing $20k at the car. It is very fast in a straight line, hard to turn due to the lack of camber adjustability (kits are available to cure this), heavy, and replete with touchy electronics. I consider it a highly strung car that will require constant attention. If you're willing to invest in it, it can be rewarding. Folks who claim that Audi build quality is superior to a Mercedes must be smoking a controlled substance. The stylish ergonomics and very good fit and finish lead many people to think this is a bulletproof German "tank" a la Porsche. It is a tweaked VW, folks. Lotsa fun, but you will pay for your fun.

Lee in D.C.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Android356
Intermediate

Default S4

I drove one and what a blast from a coupe. I had a A4 2.8 Quattro and really liked it a lot, very forgiving and lots of low end torque. the bummer with both of those is that two grown adults can't ride in the back - well very far. If you are concerned about it being a daily driver you may consider the Allroad. A6 platform with plenty of room for 4 - great to travel in and good looks. Only bummer is milage - 17 but with my foot in it, well when my wife lets me drive it. Plenty of guts for a wagon and really a lot of fun. Same motor as the S4 but no intercoolers. In some ways I like it better than the Range Rover - two different cars mind you but its more sporty and you can fling it around with abandon. Stable as a brick up to the 130 mph limit. My only complaint is brakes - warped 3 sets of rears and one set of front rotors. If I upgrade the 993 to reds, I'll do the conversion with the old ones on to the AR.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:25 AM
stuartg
3rd Gear

I just drove the new v8 version and had mixed feelings. It is extremely smooth, interior is tasteful and the motor does have a great sound.

it might be too smooth... on paper it should be as quick or quicker than a standard 993, but it doesn't feel it. The speedo moves rapidly to the right but you do not get pushed back into the seats. Good brakes and nice handling for the weight.

If you need a quick 4 door to drive daily it is a great machine, but it is not a replacement for a 993.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:35 AM
aap
Advanced

S4 is out...too much tax, wait and (now) not fond of local Audi dealer. Different class but how about the new Acura TL (270 HP, front wheel, six spd, nicely equiped $30K)...Anyone have any experience with them? aap

Quick Reply: OT... Audi S4