Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 01:05 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compare and contrast - 993 vs. boxster

hey all,

the 911 has always been the car i wanted (esp. in the 993 variation) and i really should have purchased instead of the boxster. i am eyeing a '96 c4 coupe and more than likely will be getting it but i am just curious since i can't really take the car out to the mountains for a thorough shake down.

i currently own a '98 boxster. it's an awesome handling car but kinda underpowered. obviously the 993 has more power but i was wondering how does it handle compared to the boxster. does anyone has any experience in both cars? the boxster feels quite balance and neutral around corners, how pronounced is the lift throttle oversteer in a c4?

thx javascript:smilie('')
Old 12-16-2003, 01:19 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,091 Likes on 2,868 Posts

The boxster is a more nimble (lighter) handling car than a C4. The lift-throttle oversteer is very mild in the 993 in general due to its sophisticated suspension and even less pronounced with the C4. I would prefer the handling of the Boxster over the C4 (I'm a RWD fan), but the build quality is far superior in the 993. Of course, handling is probably the most subjective aspect of a car's performance, so you really need to drive the C4 in conditions similar to those that you intend to use the car. It depends what you value in handling. If you're looking for stability and safety, then the C4 is an excellent choice and perhaps a better choice than the Boxster. If you value entertainment and the ability to slide the car and steer it with the gas pedal, then maybe you should look at a C2 (less nervous at the limit than a Boxster, but less safety margin than a C4). The differences between the mid and rear engined designs will become obvious with some seat time. The Boxster changes directions more quicky and is very entertaining to drive, but once it starts to spin, it's very difficult to recover, unlike the 993 which is rather easy to recover if you learn how to react to an impending spin (or avoid the mistakes that begin a spin).

Let us know what you think after getting a test drive in the 993
Old 12-16-2003, 01:30 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

One more thing - 993's that still have their original shocks and over 30k miles should not be considered good examples of how the 993 can handle. Unfortunately, the factory shocks wear very quickly on these cars and replacing worn shocks will make a night & day difference to their handling. My car had 38k miles when I bought it with original suspension and it seemed to be just fine. Handling wasn't superb, but very nice. Then, I replaced the springs, shocks, and swaybars with fresh sportier gear (H&R/Bilstein HD/Turbo Sway bars) and the car drives SOOOOOO much better now - it's like a different car. So, make sure you drive a good example (with fresh components) before you judge the 993's handling.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:47 AM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Lots of comparisons between the Boxster & 993 in past Posts. Try the Search button at the top of the page. Good input from Owners of both cars.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:59 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grant,

I think what you said about the stock shocks is so true. My car has 28,000 miles and until I changed my suspension to PSS-9s, I didn't realize how crappy and worn my original shocks had become. I think anyone with a 993 regardless of mileage should check the shocks and see if they are effective any longer.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:57 AM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto on what Grant's said. I haven't driven either of my cars at the limit on a track, but the Boxster does feel a little more nimble going through the on-ramps. My 993 is rock solid and just feels like it was put together better, particularly the interior. The extra 70 hp in the 993 also makes quite a difference on the highway.

I love 'em both, but if you can have only one, go with the 993.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:33 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by GrantG
...The lift-throttle oversteer is very mild in the 993 in general due to its sophisticated suspension and even less pronounced with the C4.
Ok, dumb question, but why would the lift-throttle oversteer be any different in a C4? Since you're off throttle, the front tires aren't helping pull you out of a spin. Isn't the advantage of a C4 the ability to stay on throttle and pull out of a loose condition?
Old 12-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Jan_M
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven the Boxster around the track and it is a fast car, but not as challenging to drive as the 993's I have driven. I think the 993 will give you more "I am a pilot feel" than a Boxster will do. The 993 does not come cheap in maintenance as the Boxster does.

Would I take a 993 over a Boxster S (is there any other). ANY DAY...
Would I take a 993 over the coming Boxster coupe... hmmm let me try the new car first.

And the 993 just looks better

Jan
Old 12-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Stu
Instructor

Owning both, I can make these simple, and for me - true, statements; They are both beautiful, well designed, exciting and fun cars! Having said that - what I can also say is - the 993 fits me perfectly and the Boxter fits my wife perfectly.

Good luck with your decision.

Stu
Old 12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Ok, dumb question, but why would the lift-throttle oversteer be any different in a C4? Since you're off throttle, the front tires aren't helping pull you out of a spin. Isn't the advantage of a C4 the ability to stay on throttle and pull out of a loose condition?"

Eric - I think the C4's extra 150 lbs in the front of the car contributes to more stability in a lift-throttle situation...
Old 12-16-2003, 01:22 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts
Default My take

I sold a 2001 Boxster to get a 96 993. My take on it is that the boxster is probably an easier car to drive fast if you are not a track person... But the boxster at the limit is more vicious than the 993 to me. I almost lost it twice in the rain (no psm) unexpectedly - once it starts spinning it's pretty quick due to the central engine spintop thing... build quality is in my opinion inferior on the boxster too... The design inside is better, more modern, but I felt a bit claustrophobic with the top up. Overall, remember that the 993 is now an older car (unless you compare a 98 boxster to a 98 993) and might need new shocks as well....but the 993 feels like it is a more expensice car - which it was when new. And the aircooled engine sound and power is something to be enjoyed !!! I liked both, but if I had to have one it'd be the 993.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:48 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 335 Posts

Looking forward to different sheetmetal on the Boxster. I saw a pic of a future model somewhere and it looked like a mini Carrera GT. The current Boxster is a little feminine looking to me.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:15 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I recently bought my 95 993 c4, but before I did, I test drove several cars. The one that kept coming up was the Boxster "S" -- very quick off the line. In the end, the 993 won out because it was more car for the money. I might add that in reading all of the posts and meeting lots of Boxster owners, I have seen many who wanted to go to a 911, but none who wanted to go the other way.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:36 PM
96C4
Intermediate

I took my 96C4 in for the low mileage service last Fri. and the dealer gave me a 03 Boxster as a loaner for the day. My impression is that the Boxster was less demanding and less rewarding than a 993. Also, the build quality of the 993 is better. Net, while the Boxster is a nice car, at the end of the day I was glad to be back in my C4.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:42 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 98 boxster...96 993 cabrio..

Tough question...They are both great cars, but very different to drive.
My 98 Boxster is my "daily" driver. Very easy to drive and very enjoyable.
It makes great sounds and is reasonably quick. It has 2 HUGE trunks, so it is very practicle. The top is a blast to put up and down and the car is solid.
My 96 993 cabrio is a more demanding car to drive, but ultimately more exciting. Since I added RSR mufflers, it finally sounds like a 911. Very fast.
It would be a hard car to use as a daily driver (limited trunk space, etc).
I would be hard pressed to pick one over the other as "better". It depends on what you're looking for and what kind of driver you are.
By the way, I just sold my 86 911 coupe (which I've had since 1986).
As great a car as that was ( and is), the 993, and the Boxster are vast improvements.

Quick Reply: compare and contrast - 993 vs. boxster