993 Forum 1995-1998

95-96 vs 97+ Door Card Insert Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Question 95-96 vs 97+ Door Card Insert Compatibility

I'd like to convert my all gray door cards to the two-tone (black & gray) 97+ style. This photo that was posted by Zeus993 (thanks) shows what I'm trying to describe. The insert is wider compared to the 95-96 version, closing the gap between the insert and the armrest.

Does anyone know if the wider 97+ insert can be installed on the 95-96 door cards?

Old 11-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

No compatability issues that I have ever read about. Procure and install.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

That extra gap is likely caused by failing door pocket attachments. See this thread for the repair - it tightened mine right up. No more sinking arm rest. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...forcement.html
Old 11-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Originally Posted by Foxman
That extra gap is likely caused by failing door pocket attachments. See this thread for the repair - it tightened mine right up. No more sinking arm rest. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...forcement.html
No, my door pockets are in perfect condition. Porsche changed the design of the interior door panel for the 97+ model years. Here is a photo of the earlier style door panel, for comparison...

Old 11-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
No compatability issues that I have ever read about. Procure and install.
Thanks Mark. I'm trying to source a set of used inserts from a 97+ model.

Has anyone already been there and done that?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:38 PM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I've just done this with my car. I retrimmed the classic grey back section a few months ago and the replaced the insert with a carbon fibre piece last weekend.

The original insert was held in place with about 10 clips, but the carbon uses a rail. I had to transfer the rail onto my cards. You can see the holes I cut for the clips in this picture.

And installed . . .

I'm not sure if the later series inserts use the same clips as earlier models, but obviously the CF pieces need the rails.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf
I've just done this with my car. I retrimmed the classic grey back section a few months ago and the replaced the insert with a carbon fibre piece last weekend.

The original insert was held in place with about 10 clips, but the carbon uses a rail. I had to transfer the rail onto my cards. You can see the holes I cut for the rail.
Thanks YDG! I came across something on the web that referenced the use of a rail in the context of the newer style factory inserts as well.

If I understand correctly, you had to make holes in the door card to connect the rail to the card using clips. How does the insert connect to the rail? Is the rail the only thing that attaches the insert to the card?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 PM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

The rails are riveted into place on the door card. There is a rail on both the card and the trim piece. You slide the trim down the rail to install it.

Donor door:

I used baking paper to make a template for the holes

Last edited by YellowDieselGolf; 11-23-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Thanks again... This complicates things. I'll have to find some newer door cards as well, in order to get the mounting rails.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:55 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan J
Thanks again... This complicates things. I'll have to find some newer door cards as well, in order to get the mounting rails.
YDG is right --- the 97 door cards use a rail system to mount the inserts, whereas the 95/96 door cards use a tab system. It is easiest to just find 97 door cards. Also, do note that some of plastic mounting points on the 97 door cards are different thicknesses as compared to the 95/96 door cards. I suspect Porsche did this for durability reasons. This will necessitate longer mounting hardware. I have BTDT ---- learn from my agonies. :-) I wrote about it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post13507866
Old 11-23-2017, 11:05 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd like to convert my all gray door cards to the two-tone (black & gray) 97+ style.
Please bump this thread when you get it done. I prefer the 97+ style also. I think it follows the black around from the dash nicely.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Originally Posted by Jlaa
YDG is right --- the 97 door cards use a rail system to mount the inserts, whereas the 95/96 door cards use a tab system. It is easiest to just find 97 door cards. Also, do note that some of plastic mounting points on the 97 door cards are different thicknesses as compared to the 95/96 door cards. I suspect Porsche did this for durability reasons. This will necessitate longer mounting hardware. I have BTDT ---- learn from my agonies. :-) I wrote about it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post13507866
Thanks for the additional details, JLAA. Your interior came out great, the green provides a nice level of contrast.

I'll post pictures and details if/when I manage to find all of the parts. I was hoping I could mount the new inserts on my cards; but, the rail mounting system means that I will have to find a complete set of door cards at a reasonable cost.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf

The original insert was held in place with about 10 clips, but the carbon uses a rail. I had to transfer the rail onto my cards. You can see the holes I cut for the clips in this picture.

And installed . . .

I'm not sure if the later series inserts use the same clips as earlier models, but obviously the CF pieces need the rails.

This is really well done. Bravo Adding black in this area (door panel middle part) in an otherwise entirely class-grey interior I think it one of the best ways to un-grey-ify the interior. This is because black here is aesthetically logically --- it continues the black band on the dash into the doors. Otherwise, the interior is a sea of classic grey, which sometimes turns purplish over time.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the additional details, JLAA. Your interior came out great, the green provides a nice level of contrast.

I'll post pictures and details if/when I manage to find all of the parts. I was hoping I could mount the new inserts on my cards; but, the rail mounting system means that I will have to find a complete set of door cards at a reasonable cost.

Thanks. You can technically rivet the rail onto your old door panel, but I bet it would be super difficult to find the rail as a separate part.
You could hypothetically source a set of 97 door panels in really rough condition for the rail, but at that point, then instead of harvesting the rail and destroying the set of door panels, you could spend a few clams and get the 97 middle door panel recovered and then sell the 95/96 door panels to recoup costs.

I noticed your current interior is classic grey (as was mine). What color scheme are you going for w/ your mini project?

I was trying to keep the grey theme but just tone it done a little bit. This the result ---- I switched the inner door panel to black, and then used the bigger 97 door panel insert covered in grey to make sure that there wasn't too much black. Note that I think the HiFi door panel speaker pockets, which I added, introduces textural contrast (carpet) and in grey color, conspires to frame the black in limited, accent quantities.

Last edited by Jlaa; 11-23-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Thanks. You can technically rivet the rail onto your old door panel, but I bet it would be super difficult to find the rail as a separate part.
You could hypothetically source a set of 97 door panels in really rough condition for the rail, but at that point, then instead of harvesting the rail and destroying the set of door panels, you could spend a few clams and get the 97 middle door panel recovered and then sell the 95/96 door panels to recoup costs.

I noticed your current interior is classic grey (as was mine). What color scheme are you going for w/ your mini project?

I was trying to keep the grey theme but just tone it done a little bit. This the result ---- I switched the inner door panel to black, and then used the bigger 97 door panel insert covered in grey to make sure that there wasn't too much black. Note that I think the HiFi door panel speaker pockets, which I added, introduces textural contrast (carpet) and in grey color, conspires to frame the black in limited, accent quantities.
I want the end result to be just like the first photo in this thread (everything stays Classic Gray except for the main portion of the door panel, which is black). This is similar to what you did, without the HiFi style door bins.

As you noted, the mounting rails are not available separately, so my only option is to buy a complete set of 97+ door panels and have them recovered. So far, the only set that I've found are on Ebay at about $800 for the pair, which is more than I want to spend for donor parts. I'd like to find a more beat-up set of panels at a lower price, since the panels will be recovered and I can reuse my existing parts to the maximum extent possible.

I agree that the HiFi style door bins do a great job of "connecting" the gray knee pad to the gray section of the door panel, its a good look. Having said that, I plan to stay with my non-HiFi door bins because they are in almost perfect condition.

Quick Reply: 95-96 vs 97+ Door Card Insert Compatibility