993 Forum 1995-1998

Redoing my grey interior to break up the monotony of all-grey all the time

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Simple to do upgrades, wrap door card wedges in an alternate color with painted to match dash guage rings, ignition keyway and a snap in shifter boot that fits over the stoc one.All easy kitchen table projects.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:06 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
honestly, i hate grey interiors, but yours is fine. I think your plan will result in a lot of money spent with a very bad result, and it will basically be unsellable. If thats really what you want, then have at it, but I'd tread carefully.
I agree.

Try to make reversible changes. I'm not a fan of grey interior but when you buy used I rather get a no story/no paint work car and don't be t picky with color.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the 993 interior is pretty plain, and could be improved.

I wouldn't go the PorschePorschePorsche route. Too noisy and IMO tacky.

I've wondered about using different materials and textures mostly. Real leather, alcantara, and/or a modest use of stitching patterns (diamond or bars) like you've shown in some of the other photos.

Singer does some cool stuff, but I have yet to see a modified interior that I love 100%. Good luck!!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks - lots of conservative opinions as well. Are people vehemently reacting to ...

1) the porscheporscheporsche fabric (yes, I can see this would be too much on the side panels)

Or

2) the introduction of textural contrast on the side panels? (Perhaps too much is not Bauhaus enough. Diamonds don't seem very Bauhaus). 928 and 964 texture I like ..... It is angular and severe in a very sharp way.

Or

3) the intro of green pipe/stitching as an accent ? I'd think NOT to match av green or BRG ... That would get lost. Perhaps a slightly lighter green but not blazing like viper green.

Anyone here a furniture / architecture afficionado? I find this to be quite similar to trying to choose fabrics (Maharam?) For furniture, like perhaps a Saarinen womb chair, and trying to ensure it works with the rug as well as the wall..... And then considering the wall .... Is it level 5 sheetrock? Is it masonry? Is it made of wood slats? Is it a wall of glass? All kinds of textures and colors possible in a modern house , for example, but the mod "keep it simple and clean" ethos is still there.

Thanks,
Jlaa (personal pet peeve is the tyranny of black in automotive interiors).
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-04-2023)
Old 09-08-2015, 11:41 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Not liking the Porsche fabric here jlaa. I do like the idea of contrast on the side panels and will be interested to see what you come up with. I really like the 964 panels (and earlier) because they break up the panel and the lines tie in well with the door handle. The trouble on the 993 and your picture is it is narrowrer (not as tall ) as the 964 section and I don't know if it would go. The diamonds might go better. All in besides the dash mods, the door panels would be easy enough to go back to stock if you didn't like it. Have you considered RS door cards with green pulls and seatbealts? A lot easier, just saying

I have the same interior but I am fortunate it doesn't bother me
Old 09-08-2015, 12:21 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

To spend thousands on what you intend to do, with "input" from others, when your car's interior looks simple and elegant, seems wasteful. And, one which will likely decrease value and marketability.
Gray, leather or vinyl, has its own elegance-my view- and you have enough existing black accents to add contrast and interest.
Just wear a red scarf when you drive.
Fred- Basalt '97 C4S, black interior except for white/aluminum gauges and red Puma driving shoes!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't like being a hater, but I have to agree with some of the others... adding the "Porsche Porsche Porsche" script to the interior of a 993 would be a high no-no in my view.

I'd look into swapping out some pieces for black leather. Perhaps some aluminum highlights. My own 993 interior has black, flamenco red, and aluminum going on inside it. Perhaps carbon fiber, if you're into that stuff?

If you want to bring some green into the interior, perhaps some green thread stitching, rather than piping? Perhaps a little lime/neon/acid green stitching as inspired by the 918 Hybrid on a recovered steering wheel, shift **** and brake lever grip?

If you start messing with your door panels then you'll likely end up messing with your seats and other interior bits to make it all match... GL!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Ha, point taken. Good to have RL feedback when you’ve (moi) gone off the deep-end.

You know that PorschePorschePorsche script was I think at one time an option on cloth seats on the 928 in the late 70s. It was rare but it was also uniquely subtly gaudy-as-all-get-out in that muted-gaudy Porsche way in the late 70s. Yeah maybe its overly gaudy though.

Personally I see a lot of black – which I can appreciate is very very simple and elegant and severe — I have an aversion to black. What’s worse than a sea of monotonous uniform grey texture is the tyranny of inky-dark-black-hole interiors. I mean black is so ---- D a r k. Its so ... "Oh crap, I can't see anything in here!!!!" :-)

You’ve got my intention nailed —

A) I’m going think about fussing with the door panels / stitching / re-do in leather
B) which means I’m going to have to think about wrapping the dash/kneepad/etc. in leather – with green stitching
C) which means I’m going to have to think about putting a green stripe in the steering wheel (whilst keeping the rest of the grey)
D) which means maybe its time for one green gauge (the rev counter)

And so the slippery slope sure is slippery!

BTW Marketability? Wastefulness? These are all toys that we have the exceedingly good fortune to waste a little time and money on right? Yeah redoing this stuff in leather is pretty wasteful. I try not to judge --- too much.

Food for thought -

Old 09-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It all comes down to personal preference/budget/priorities. I've, thus far, be careful to limit my interior mods to those that are easily reversed. I may need to see the car at some point, and odds are the next owner won't share my same sense of aesthetics.

If you plan on holding onto this car until your 6 ft under. Do whatever you want with it, its yours for the keeping. Just don't slap a RWB body kit on it and then expect to sell it for six figures on fleabay a month or so after you've completed it...
Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Steering Wheel - consider changing out the existing steering wheel to the 996 3 spoke in black ( lot of us have this wheel and it compliments the 993 dash really nicely - get the leather version which has stitching on the airbag)

Front Seats - consider changing out the stock seats and buy a set of hardback 993 seats which can have painted seatbacks to match your car color. I would keep the gray leather color.

Carpeting - consider going with a lightweight high end carpet kit from Southbound Trimmers. Check out their Sherwood Green. http://www.southbound.plus.com/south...2013_00001.jpg

I have a white/flamenco red 993 and one of these days I will replace the plush factory carpeting with a high quality tighter weave less plush replacement carpet from Southbound Trimmers.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:35 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

I think your interior, given the black contrasts, looks elegant and understated.
Spending thousands to customize seems excessive to some, and may limit future value and potential marketability.
My totally black C4S interior, except for white/aluminum gauges, is accented with bright red Puma driving shoes! Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:52 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Steering wheel I would consider re-covering in nice perforated leather with possibly a 12 o'clock stripe and stitching to match color stitching elsewhere, should you go that way. I have done the color stitching on my re-covered steering wheel and it's a very nice subtle style que. I also did color stitching on my custom shift boot, but am less sure about that.

I would say no to color gauges. Except maybe, tachometer face. Above pic of NB Miata gauges (ask me how I know ) is different, it's a compact and small panel, not 5 pancake-sized circles stretched out across the dash like in a 993.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with Nile. Steering wheel w colored marker is good. Gauges bad....you'd have to match the leather to them or it would start to look strange. The 3 spoke wheel is the way to go, then send it to the Polish leather place others here have used or 928 Leather Shop (IIRC). But if you want to match a lower leather dash, do that first and then send spare dash leather with your wheel so the marker matches the dash.

A green wheel strip, lower dash, and maybe the door inserts (source a pair so you can go back when you sell)....that's enough to jazz things up without going over the top (and killing the understated aesthetic of a Porsche).
Old 09-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Hmmm .. interesting about the option of doing the lower dash in green. I hadn't thought of that. That might be a lot. One of the things I have been noodling over is the usage of '97 or '98 door panel inserts because those inserts go all the way down to the arm rest. Doing so allows one to make the door panel "Background" be black in color in a single "strip", thus matching the black "strip" on the dashboard. On the '95 and '96 models the door panel insert does not go all the way down to the arm rest, thus making a black "strip" on the door panel much more difficult.

See an example of a 97/98 door panel here:

Also one green tach - food for thought -

Old 09-10-2015, 06:27 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks great with a different color tach. Anyone sitting on a white RPM tach they want to sell?

Quick Reply: Redoing my grey interior to break up the monotony of all-grey all the time