Sponsored by:

PPI on pre-owned Certified?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default PPI on pre-owned Certified?

what do y'all think? I am leaning towards no because I have the warranty, but I have not seen the car in Person so I am thinking maybe I should

help

Jon
Old 12-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

I agree though i should add that it is a Porsche Pre-owned certified car from a Porsche Dealer. It is not an aftermarket like warranty Gold

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Personally, I'd NEVER buy a used car without a PPI, the risk is too high in my opinion.

Warranties are nice until you have to have something fixed under it, then it can become a pain.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Jon DO THE PPI. the dealer certified it, he is the one selling it.
Its just like a guy in the alley saying he is behind it 100%.
Its cheap insurance. Its good that its got a warranty though
Old 12-13-2003, 03:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

from personal experience, i would do PPI ESPECIALLY if it's sold by authorized dealer. PM me if you like.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:50 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PPI will at least give you a little piece of mind and in the grand scheme of things, is very cheap. Even though the certification process involves over a hundred different items, they are usually belt checks, tire tread, fluid levels, etc.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:03 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Absolutly! I've found that a good independent wrench will find the "real" problems the dealer will miss. Do the PPI - cheapest insurance you can buy.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:32 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In addition to a PPI by shop that knows 993's, I also bring car to body shop that knows Porsche's to check for prior accidents/paint work. You may also want to buy a blacklite (about $20), and determine if any paint work too. The orginal color glows a stange color when refinished. Not that body work is always bad, but always good to know the history.

For me, I always want to see what I am buying, but that is me.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:46 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jon,

If it is the same car I saw let me second what mo said. It can only work to your advantage in the negotiations or walking away.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:55 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

no it is a different one, I am between it and the one you looked at for me

thanks again

Jon

Originally posted by KRA993tt
Hi Jon,

If it is the same car I saw let me second what mo said. It can only work to your advantage in the negotiations or walking away.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:37 PM
RM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely without question have an independent to a PPI on the certified car. I too bought a certified 993 at it was NOT as reqresented. Save yourself the potential heartache and get the PPI. Have a body shop and an independent mechanic look at it.

RM
Old 12-15-2003, 01:33 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 993 Certified from a Porsche dealer close to 4 years ago. Since I thought I know cars pretty well, and it came with the factory warranty, and I'd heard pretty good things about this dealer, I didn't have an independent PPI done (I did when I bought my SC, since it had neither the Certification nor a warranty). I saw a few things the dealer didn't, and they took care of these before I took delivery.

With the Certification, you get a lengthy checklist of things that are required to be inspected/fixed/replaced in order for the car to be certified. This includes a statement that the car was never in a serious accident (but "minor" body repairs would not preclude Certification). If it subsequently turns out that these things were not as represented, you have a written document proving what was represented to you. This, plus the factory warranty, would go a long way toward having these issues rectified, or getting your money back in an extreme case. However, it would still be a big PIA.

I ended up with a great car, but I got lucky -- I would not do it again without a PPI. I think few dealers look the car over as carefully as most of us on rennlist would.

Quick Reply: PPI on pre-owned Certified?