Sponsored by:

Cab, top problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 11:01 AM
DEX993
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab, top problem

I've got a 95 cab 40kmi. The top is making popping and assorted noises. Sometimes not working . Just started doing this. What is the most common problem this could be. Is it something I could buy and replace myself, (being somewhat inclined), at what cost and where to get least expensive replacement part? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you elaborate on the problem? Is it popping when you open and close or when you drive? When does it not work? What do you mean by "not work"? Does nothing happen when hit the switch? Give us more details.

Robert
Old 12-13-2003, 11:50 AM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I haven't had that problem with mine, but have heard many stories about the motors going bad. If you're not confident with taking it apart yourself, I'd have it checked out at a shop you trust. These problems can be expensive if not fixed. If ther motors that lower the top don't work in synch, I've been told by a few shops the top can twist and end up snapping ($$$). I assume these are the motors you are referring to? There are also the motors that latch/lock the top to the body frame are about $500 each but based on your description I'm guessing you are referring to noises during the principal open/close motion.

There is preventative maintenance you can do to keep them working. I'm having the drive cables inspected on mine. If needed I'll have them replaced or re-conditioned to prevent the catastrophinc problem I described above.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:40 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

a '95 cab that I just picked up recently had this problem....$1,600 to repair the mechanism (I didn't do, but have the receipt)

The repair was done at 55k miles
Old 12-13-2003, 01:04 PM
DEX993
4th Gear

I emailed you and am new to this. wondered if you received question?
Old 12-14-2003, 12:25 AM
fluid15

DEX993 - if you receive valuable info from the PM please share with us!
Old 12-14-2003, 04:00 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dex993-----> do not operate your top!!! you probably have a cable problem... after a while the plastic surounding the 2 top cables become brittle & crack... end up binding the cable(makes a weird sound too). in my case driver's side cable bound up but passenger side did not, so when operating one side moved slightly ahead of the other. ----> long story short. when one side is in down position the other side is (slightly) not... this causes the side that is down to further bind-up--- which can break the motor-arm!!!! which can cost you close to $2k to fix (i was informed) ---- the remedy is to have your cables checked asap. don't operate your top. i was lucky w/ mine and drove to a top shop that was able to install a new cable for me costing $150-$175 (can't remember exactly)... they also made adjustments to the top that actually made it work smoother and better than ever.

hope this helps! bol.

hope you avoid the more pricey fix!
Old 12-15-2003, 03:57 PM
DEX993
4th Gear

Going to take apart this week and take a look at cables. THanks for help. Will let all know if I can find anything for all to use.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:02 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by 24FPS
don't operate your top. i was lucky w/ mine and drove to a top shop that was able to install a new cable for me costing $150-$175 (can't remember exactly)... they also made adjustments to the top that actually made it work smoother and better than ever.

hope this helps! bol.

hope you avoid the more pricey fix!
24fps,

$150-$175 for a new cable plus installing/adjustment is quite a good price. A new cable alone cost somewhere $130-$170 from Sunset (other dealers sell for $211) I can't remember exactly. I am just curious if they actually replaced your cable with a new one.

I stole this picture from ebay just to give an idea of how the rear transmissions/motors and cables (inside the long black jackets) look like. I don't know what the black board in the middle is or where it's located but I guess it's the control unit since I haven't dealt with it yet (someone please confirm).

Last edited by hn; 12-15-2003 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:57 PM
fluid15

Another problem with the cables (as I am told by a Top Shop) - the plastic jackets can elongate resulting in the interior cable-end (square cross-section) not seating properly in the motor. If this happens in one side but not the other than the twisting can snap the top. This was also explained by 24FPS. My car is in the shop today and these cables are being inspected. Hopefully they're fine, but if not I'm not hesitating to getting the situation fixed!

BTW - nice pics above by hn showing the components. I recall the pricing being the same as hn mentioned. $175 for a new cable with install is great deal.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:05 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had it done in l.a. area @ pete's tops & upholstery off pico. got their # from redline porsche service in santa monica. (was done last year)... yeah, thought it was a good deal (wow)... i was so happy to have not damaged the top any further as it did make a crunching sound @ one point, but i stopped operating it immediately & rang the shop. they just told me to not operate it & bring it in.-------> which is why i wanted do the same for you.

yeah, "hn" nice shot. now i see why a broken control arm may cost a motor... they seem to be a single unit.

bol

Quick Reply: Cab, top problem