Anyone switch back from RS Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
No blue dot on mine. Can you point me to a picture of what you mean?
Here's a recent example (the paint markings were originally on the fingers) and you can also root around on any of the online retailers that post actual photos. ex. Design 911 and see other examples of green, red, orange, etc.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Here's a recent example (the paint markings were originally on the fingers) and you can also root around on any of the online retailers that post actual photos. ex. Design 911 and see other examples of green, red, orange, etc.

Yes that’s a different part than what I installed. Which do you prefer and why?
Old 11-10-2017, 02:58 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
I e-mailed them a couple of times a couple of months ago - heard nothing back. If you have more success be sure to post. I want one of these....
Its available in the UK;

http://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de86.../Products/8989
Old 11-11-2017, 11:02 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Thanks - appreciate it
Old 11-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say that I have noticed a difference the pedal effort required between the stock dual mass set up and the RS type. Perhaps there are other issues at play. The only real difference I felt was the "pulsing" of the throttle when crawling along in traffic. Cheers
Old 11-11-2017, 12:40 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes that’s a different part than what I installed. Which do you prefer and why?
My "764" PP has a red mark. Higher clamping force, so it can withstand power over time. My stock PP/FW were toast.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:12 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

I think it may depend on what pressure plate you install with the clutch. The clutch itself isn’t heavier but most kits come with a sport PP that does increase pedal effort in exchange for more clamping force. The assumption is that if you are installing the RS LWF and clutch then you are going to be driving aggressively and the higher-spec PP will be a welcome addition.

Personally I like the extra effort during my spirited drives, but if I were driving in traffic I would probably feel the same as you.
I believe this is where I'm at. I remember getting into the car immediately after install and remarking how incredibly resistant the clutch pedal felt. At the time I didn't mind because the 993 was almost exclusively being used for track days. I had a 997 Turbo for around town.
But I don't track anymore. And I want to drive the 993 around town but I don't enjoy the heavy pedal.

Let's assume for a second you are correct about the sport PP. What do I do about it? Is there an easy or non-expensive fix? Or do I just need to wait until the car needs a new clutch and swap it then? I'd like to make the car more drivable for Los Angeles motoring.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:14 PM
B-Line
Drifting

The email I got from the German MPL manufacturer said that I need parts from the original slave cylinder. I don't know if I have the original slave cylinder. The clutch was put on the car nearly 10 years ago!
Old 11-11-2017, 06:20 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
The email I got from the German MPL manufacturer said that I need parts from the original slave cylinder. I don't know if I have the original slave cylinder. The clutch was put on the car nearly 10 years ago!
I believe there's a couple items you remove from your current slave, install on their MPL, then install it. Just needs to be a standard, stock slave, if I am correct. One of the RL threads have the whole shebang install.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:58 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 227 Posts

That’s too bad you don’t like your setup. I also have the RS setup and love it. No issue with stop and go or any feeling of a heavy clutch. I wonder if something else is going on.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:26 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the MPL last year, and its fantastic. I blew my left knee out skiing, a few years back. I then switched to the LWF, and was about to rip it out, since it was killing my knee. After installing the MPL, not a single issue. Worth every penny. I bought it on eBay.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:06 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
I found mine on eBay with a buy-it-now of $200 or best offer. I offered $180, and it was accepted.

I believe there's a couple items you remove from your current slave, install on their MPL, then install it. Just needs to be a standard, stock slave, if I am correct. One of the RL threads have the whole shebang install.

Yes, I'm fairly certain it's the push rod, some clips and the boot...
Oh, wait, here is a DIY....

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...slave-diy.html
Old 04-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

When fitting the MPL slave cylinder consider fitting a remote bleeder. It makes a tedious job much easier. MPL also do a slave for the Ducati 998 it eased my tennis elbow
Old 04-03-2021, 02:37 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Greetings folks. I wanted to circle back to this thread from 2017.
I still have the car and it's in the exact same condition it was in with the HEAVY *** RS CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL.

I'm planning on taking the car in for some service and wanted to see if there was any change in thought.

1) Look at the pressure plate?
2) Look at the pedal cluster?
3) Consider installing a MPL clutch slave cylinder? (But I still don't have the original parts so I think this is a problem) (add a remote bleeder if possible.)
4) Consider installing
hydraulically assisted clutch system from the 993 turbo

So, if you were in my shoes, which of these 4 things would you actually target? The guy who put in the clutch might have used a heavy pressure plate. He is a Porsche race tuner so maybe he was also using extra race parts he had laying around or something?

But again, the car is just unpleasant to drive in daily settings with the heavy *** clutch and I want to street drive my vehicle again... Or sell it... hahaha.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:35 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I would buy a factory slave cylinder if you need parts for an MPL install. Think this would be your cheapest first option.

If that doesn't work, I would look at your PP. It's prob too aggressive and will need to be replaced with a standard 993 one.

Don't bother with the 993TT hydraulic assisted, this requires quite a bit of work which is overkill. If you even considered that option, might as well just put back in a factory clutch setup.
The following users liked this post:
B-Line (04-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone switch back from RS Clutch