Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default MPL Slave DIY

I was introduced to the MPL slave when I did my hydraulic delete:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499

Mike was ordering one and good enough to get one fore me (so we could save on the shipping). I had some time today to do the install (Mike looks like I beat you to it!!).

So relatively straight forward, the NA slave is pretty straightforward to remove (cf turbo slave). There are a number of bits that need to be reused from the NA slave. Putting it back together was okay but struggled a bit getting the slave on the housing d/t to the spring you have to compress to get the bolts on - all one blindly with one hand...

Bled multiple times, feels pretty good, almost as easy now as a regular car. Worth doing it for sure if you are changing slaves anyways. The clutch catch point did get slightly closer to the floor (which makes sense if it's going to offer some advantage), but pretty easy to get used to after a short drive. Clutch pedal pressure is about the same as the F328 now.
Wonder if I can shift faster?
these are parts that come with the MPL kit:
Attached Images      
Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

These parts need to be taken from the NA slave :
(not sure if they are the same on the turbo/turbo slave parts can be used - I'll have to check and report back)
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

being put together..
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

BTW someone asked a while back by pm if I used the NA hose or kept the turbo hose to the slave. I thought I just reused the turbo hose but discovered I have the NA hose in there.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:15 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 240 Likes on 162 Posts

The turbo hose is steel braided while the NA one is just rubber. Not sure if it makes any difference but they put the NA one in mine and I made 'em change it. I'm keeping the car indefinitely and figured the braided must be stronger?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
The turbo hose is steel braided while the NA one is just rubber. Not sure if it makes any difference but they put the NA one in mine and I made 'em change it. I'm keeping the car indefinitely and figured the braided must be stronger?
You would think the braided one would be stronger but on the turbo slave, this is the lower pressure side, and as the clutch effort in the NA 993 (non assisted) I think is harder than the turbo, in the stock config, I think the braided turbo line sees lower pressures. It might be just the pentosin vs brake fluid thing?
Old 11-10-2014, 01:07 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the great post!

My Cylinder slave is out the door for my 993 turbo? Do you think I could buy the MPL and just make the swap as opposed to spending close to $1k for the new turbo slave? If it's easy to do I will just swap out for the MPL.

Also what do I do with the Pentosin hose? Do I just cap it off?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Godspeed
Thanks for the great post!

...? Do you think I If it's easy to do I will just swap out for the MPL.

Also what do I do with the Pentosin hose? Do I just cap it off?

Thanks.
The MPL slave swap in itself is straightforward, and is easier for sure than putting a turboslave back in. I assume you can just plug the pentosin lines, I don't think that line requires flow but I don't know for sure, I deleted my hydraulics all together so I didn't have to research or look at the slave diagrams too closely. I think Mike J is planning on doing the swap so I'm sure he has looked into it and answer your question. I believe essexmetal, texas993, Spartan and others are running na slaves so they might chime in. If you do it, you should do the NA servo spring in th pedal cluster too!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Servo spring thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499
Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

I bought a MPL slave cylinder early this year and haven't installed. I will keep my 993tt AWD.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the writeup! - I have not gotten to it yet, it likely when the snow is flying sometime in January. :-)

Its good to know it will work though. I have not even had a chance to look at which lines will need plugging or bypassing in order to not load the p/s pump.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-11-2014, 10:26 AM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
The MPL slave swap in itself is straightforward, and is easier for sure than putting a turboslave back in. I assume you can just plug the pentosin lines, I don't think that line requires flow but I don't know for sure, I deleted my hydraulics all together so I didn't have to research or look at the slave diagrams too closely. I think Mike J is planning on doing the swap so I'm sure he has looked into it and answer your question. I believe essexmetal, texas993, Spartan and others are running na slaves so they might chime in. If you do it, you should do the NA servo spring in th pedal cluster too!
Thanks Man. I will reach out to them and see if I could get some further advice. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

I've consulted with Spartan and it seems its fairly easy. My only issue is what hose to cap off....

Does anyone have the PET diagram for this? (turbo and non turbo) Maybe I could follow that.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:38 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Godspeed
I've consulted with Spartan and it seems its fairly easy. My only issue is what hose to cap off....

Does anyone have the PET diagram for this? (turbo and non turbo) Maybe I could follow that.
Porsche supplies the PDF of the parts diagrams for free...

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...93_KATALOG.pdf

You can use this to see how the physical routing occurs.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-17-2014, 12:38 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike, I Will see what I come up with.

Quick Reply: MPL Slave DIY