What's the variorum cost?
TBD have to source one from a scrapper.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:34 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
TBD have to source one from a scrapper.
Keep in mind that if your car is an early 95 (and I think it might be), you'll need a later 95 ECU. See my VRAM DIY for more details.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:24 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
Keep in mind that if your car is an early 95 (and I think it might be), you'll need a later 95 ECU. See my VRAM DIY for more details.
Fair warning. Mine does have the overhead third brake light, but I think it was added after the fact. No immobilizer. 94 build date.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

At this point I'm leaning towards a fresh 3.6L with RS cams and larger 96+ intake valves. At the same time adding a LWFW, retrofitting a Varioram intake, replacing my long deceased factory LSD with a new Guards unit, and a new Steve Wong chip to account for all the changes.

I'd love to regear the transmission too but with all that's listed above, I'm sure that I'm beyond my intended budget already.
you will be pleased with the amount of resulting fun factor increase.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:34 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At this point I'm leaning towards a fresh 3.6L with RS cams and larger 96+ intake valves. At the same time adding a LWFW, retrofitting a Varioram intake, replacing my long deceased factory LSD with a new Guards unit, and a new Steve Wong chip to account for all the changes.

I'd love to regear the transmission too but with all that's listed above, I'm sure that I'm beyond my intended budget already.
If you can factor in a bump in compression with the cams you will be super happy....
Old 09-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Originally Posted by trophy
If you can factor in a bump in compression with the cams you will be super happy....
So you're saying go with 3.8+?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:30 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So you're saying go with 3.8+?
Always
Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Heh, 15 hours to remove and install the motor...I bet I've seen the same people do it between races in the parking lot...

Just here to gather information for when I pull my motor...
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So....What did you end up doing?????
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested to know what happened as well

FWIW I rebuilt the top end of my engine of my 1995 myself back in spring of 2016. I replaced every single thing possible without having to split the case as well as adding a few additional upgrades. I’d say it would be a “2” on your list. I have a complete parts list with part numbers, price, quantity needed, source, etc. If you would like to see it send me a PM. I had Steve Weiner do the machine work, but pretty much everything else was DIY with the Porsche shop manuals. My total cost was a little over 5000 USD.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Ditto
Old 04-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

No significant updates on my end. The 993 has been condemned to storage while we start our "nesting". My wife and I are expecting our first child, a son, in July.

I have been researching rebuild options further and I found an interesting resources that I'm happy to share with the group here: http://performancedevelopments.com/g...-displacement/
This article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of increasing displacement through either bore or stroke or both in our flat-6 motors.

While I haven't committed entirely to one build path or another, I have begun slowly amassing parts. I got a set of slip-fit 3.8 Mahle Ps & Cs for a song. I know slip-fits are less popular here, but I am not building a race car here, just a street car. I also picked up a 996 GT3R oil pump at a good price and some Dougherty Racing CAMs (that are more aggressively timed but are still compatible with hydraulic lifters).

I haven't decided about whether or not to commit to a GT3R crankshaft or not, but the Ps & Cs will require custom rods regardless. Not quite sure if it is worth going there for a street setup where I don't plan to move away from a tuned Motronic management system and hydraulic lifters for long-term reliability (and SMOG check reasons).

From what I've read, switching to more aggressive CAMs and having the heads ported for RS valves is probably be one of the more cost efficient performance boosting modifications out there. But again, I'm just an arm chair novice here. I defer to the wisdom of the flat-six engine building gods that occasionally grace these forums.

Plenty of options to mull over in a sleep-deprived due to newborn baby state...

Quick Reply: Possible Tiers of 993 Engine Rebuilding/Upgrading