New member-g50/21 and varioram

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 04:51 AM
geortarga
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New member-g50/21 and varioram

Hello to all!!!
I finally registered with the rennlist board seeing that i am adicted to its discussion forums on the 993. I would like start by giving praise and a thanks to Viken and Steve Weiner since they have helped me in some questons I have asked them. I am the proud owner of a 1997 993 targa arctic silver with some upgraded mods .
My porsche is an everyday car albeit I only drive it 2-3 times a week.
I am in the process of changing my DMF with a RS LWF and clutch as well as talking the opportunity to go with the G50/21 gearbox.
A question that i would like to ask my now fellow members is the following:my Porsche authorised dealership is advising me that i dont need the G50/21 gerabox because i have a varioram engine and will i have enough torque now with the addition of the light weight flywheel plus the varioram might not have a chance to kick in with the new quicker shifting and that i will lose aproximatly 16km of top end speed.Is this true? Is the G50/21-1 gearbox with LSD? Thanks
Old 04-16-2002, 07:51 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Talking

Since you are in Greece,

Your car must be a Euro model. Doesn't this has the short box already????

Yeia hara,
Old 04-16-2002, 08:30 AM
geortarga
Advanced

My car was purchased in Canada and shipped over to europe, therefore i have the G50/20.

Regards

Nick
Old 04-16-2002, 09:19 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geotarga -
[quote] i have a varioram engine and will i have enough torque now with the addition of the light weight flywheel plus the varioram might not have a chance to kick in with the new quicker shifting and that i will lose aproximatly 16km of top end speed.<hr></blockquote>

Is it possible to have "enough" torque ? I don't think varioram and the close ratios are mutually exclusive. The varioram kicks in based upon RPM and throttle opening thresholds... hopefully with the new tranny you can spend MORE time in Varioram-land rather than less.

The top end comment may be true but so what...how often do you wring it all the way out in 6th?

Have fun!

Curtis
Old 04-16-2002, 09:42 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
"I am in the process of changing my DMF with a RS LWF and clutch as well as talking the opportunity to go with the G50/21 gearbox.
A question that i would like to ask my now fellow members is the following:my Porsche authorised dealership is advising me that i dont need the G50/21 gerabox because i have a varioram engine and will i have enough torque now with the addition of the light weight flywheel plus the varioram might not have a chance to kick in with the new quicker shifting and that i will lose aproximatly 16km of top end speed.Is this true? Is the G50/21-1 gearbox with LSD? Thanks"

This is not true. My car has 3,8L kit, varioram, light weight flywheel and the G50/21 gearbox. And it works great together. My Porsche dealer was also skeptical when I decided to go for the G50/21 gear ratios, but had to admit afterwards that it was a good idea, and that the car seemed to have 10-15% more power when accelerating (no power increase, of course, just better acceleration). And it certainly does not lose 16 km/h top speed! 5km/h at the most!
Old 04-16-2002, 02:26 PM
geortarga
Advanced

993RS

Is it better to install the G50/21 gearbox instead of the RS gearbox on a 993 with the 3.8lt conversion or was this a personnal prefference.Because from what I have heard, with the RS gears you enough torque to handle the higher ratios of the first three gears?
Sorry for the amateur question but when you say the car accelarates better does this mean it does a quicker 0-200km or 1/4 mile than 993 with G50/20?

Nick

Quick Reply: New member-g50/21 and varioram