993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake Flush Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:49 AM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Flush Question

So I flushed the brakes three times. The older fluid was ATE Super blue and put in Gold. I was able to get all calipers to flow gold. I had one stuck bleed valve which made me scratch my head why it wasn't flowing. Had to remove and free up the opening and hole at the bottom. After that I bleed system two more times to make sure no air got in. Pedal is firm, but I have a question.

The Brake reservoir still has blue fluid in a couple of the chambers. I assume the one closest to the front of the car is for the clutch. I would like to fully remove the blue fluid out of the reservoir. Heard it stains the plastic and who knows how old it is. Also the one chamber towards the inside of the cabin is a tough one since it may introduce air if I go low enough to get it all out.

I would like to thank the motive power bleeder inventor. I just use it to put pressure into the reservoir - no fluid. Just keep refilling reservoir so I don't have to clean up the bleeder. Sucks pumping so much, but good for cardio.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:57 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

While it's not a fun job, you need to bleed your clutch slave cylinder every time you bleed your brakes. As for the blue color left in your reservoir, NYLON takes on the dye in ATE Blue. You may never get it all out. Not worth worrying about.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:36 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Thank you - will bleed the clutch once my new fluid comes in. Appreciate the heads up!!

Pretty soon this car will be up on maintenance so I can start my baseline. No idea how long anything has been in the car.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:19 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

When you bleed the clutch slave cylinder, just be sure you don't allow the fluid in the reservoir to get below the level of the take-off tube going to the slave cylinder. Once air gets in that line, it's a bxxxh to clear.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:02 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes, the blue staining will remain to some extent. I've always used my Motive dry for the annual fluid flushes - no complaints.

If you loathe bleeding the clutch as much I did, take a look at how I simplified things:

Remote clutch bleed setup.

Andreas
Old 08-29-2017, 04:43 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Love the relocation idea. I need to drive the car. Been on jack stands for over a week now. I think I might try it once the old hard way to give me motivation to do your mod. Although...I will look into the necessary parts needed and order them. Slightly confused on the bracket location with varioram intake. Couldn't I just attach it by the fuel filter. Doesn't it need to be lower so gravity helps bleed the fluid? Guess it doesn't matter since I have pressure from power bleeder. Been a long day at work and my brain is mush right now

Quick Reply: Brake Flush Question