Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my. So sexy.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

And more reliable! Also, about to have install aluminum power cable and emergency cutoff cable -- a first for Porsche.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:18 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, seriously. What is a good route to take toward getting into design and fabrication for motorsports? This is one of the fields I'd really like to pursue.

I'm currently studying mechanical engineering and will be doing some industrial/graphics design as well. However, from what I've seen and toyed around with, practical experience comes almost solely from hands on work or knowledge passed on from someone who is already in the field.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:58 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Stay far away from motorsports, the most thankless profession. At least working for a team on the road. You experience either exteme highs or extreme lows, nothing in between.

I will say its a sickness much like the slippery slope in Porsche-land. Cant live without it once hooked.

Working for a high-end racecar constructor isnt quite as bad, although I have done a fair share of the lovely....allnighter....

Nascar does the most fabrication, but are all located in the south. No current Champ car (Indy car) manufacturing in the states at the moment as CART has become (almost) a spec series. IRL lumps....oops, I meant cars are made in England and Italy. Unfortunately not much here in the states as far as constructors. Not really current with sports cars, but most are based on a production car of some kind.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:43 AM
Patentman
Instructor

Re: where in the US can you work for a company that fabricates custom race cars...

Originally posted by chris walrod
Nascar does the most fabrication, but are all located in the south. No current Champ car (Indy car) manufacturing in the states at the moment as CART has become (almost) a spec series.
For what its worth, I was in Las Vegas recently and we rented ATV's out in the desert near the LV speedway (a few miles north of Vegas). The guy that rented to us was an LV native and gave us a tour of the speedway area on the way back to town. Right near the track, there were several race car companies that manufacturuer custom race cars. Dont remember the company names, maybe they are all NASCAR cars?? If you ever go there, as a car buff its worth a visit to the LV motorspeedway track area.

Also, on a "Billionaire Toys" show on the travel channel, they recently did a piece on the Saleen car company (in CA I think) that custom builds a Saleen street legal race car for very rich people. They showed clips of the factory with welders welding up frames, etc. The cars were quite impressive, all custom, looked a bit like the new carrera GT, 600 HP, $450K. You could get a job there are pull up in your Porsche everyday.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patentman,

There's a lot going on in Mooresville, NC. but it's mostly NASCAR. Mooresville is just outside Charlotte.

Quick Reply: Wiring Update - Pictures Attached