Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

German Factory Windshield, is it ever....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 02:38 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Smile German Factory Windshield, is it ever....

beautiful, green tint across all the glass with a darker band at the top.

I have had aftermarket glass, it it sucks, never again. My previous windshield was NOT factory, and once the rubber gasket was off, it was clear that the fit was sub-standard..have all new gaskets, and new glass, things are "looking" good, no pun intended.

The glass installation man was saying that the windshield is a key piece in the structural rigidity of the car. A poor installation/fit compromises this.

So next time it's time, and windshields are a consumable, consider Porsche factory glass. I have learned my lesson.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 150 Posts

School me since I will need one soon. My crack is growing....
Old 08-24-2017, 02:44 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

is there a way to enhance that oem green on other windows with tint?
Old 08-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Let me look for the source

I had a friend, another serious Porsche geek (Worse than me and I live and breathe these beasts), found the windshield at an East Coast glass shop. He ordered two, one for him and one for me. They ship them 1, up to 3 in a box...shipping cost was the same for 1 as it was for 3. Get two (2) other 993 buds to go in on it with you. I'll post up when I get the contact info, and BTW, the glass was about $300 cheaper than if I had purchased it directly from a Porsche dealer.

Having an expert install man is key. A bad install job can be disguised, until such time a problems start to occur, such as rust in the windshield mounting slot, water can accumulate when the windshield seals are improperly installed.

I am putting in all new seals.

The windshield is tinted green, with a heavier green tint at the top of the windshield.

Originally Posted by Cactus
Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

The only problem with German glass is that it is extremely soft. It pits when you breath on it hard and our dirty sandy roads throw enough stuff on it to pit it within 6-12 months of regular driving.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Martin,

I'd really appreciate the contact info when you have it, I need both a front and rear windshield for my car as the plastic molding has cracked on both. I've been searching high and low for a source to buy the glass that isn't a Porsche dealership. Up here the pair of screens runs north of $3gs.

Is the windshield you received Sigla, Saint-Gobain Sekurit, or Pilkington branded?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you've got a crack, see about leveraging your auto insurance. I did that route and it ended up costing me barely anything out of pocket even though I insisted on OEM factory glass that cost about $1300 just for the glass.

I made sure I had preauthorization from the insurance company management to have OEM glass replaced, then I went to the body shop of my choice and had it done and done right.

My only gripe is that the OEM glass manufacturer changed so its brand stamp doesn't match the rest of the windows even though it is OEM. 20+ years later Porsche's part vendors change up slightly.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:21 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I was under the impression that all replacement glass made today for the 993 comes from Germany. The one I have that was installed at a chain glass shop was made in Germany. If this is the case the question is are all glass ordered for our cars supplied by a Porsche OE supplier.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

I had US glass installed in my previous 993 around 2008. Not sure if availability has changed and, if so, why.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:57 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

"It pits when you breath on it hard and our dirty sandy roads throw enough stuff on it to pit it within 6-12 months of regular driving."

The easiest cure is to have clear EXPEL, or a comparable clear covering over the windshield. This works, but it can play hell when you have sun glasses on.

I don't know the brand name of the glass; but I'll post it when I find out ...the 993 car is 45 minutes away being prepped for sale, sad to say.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:00 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
If you've got a crack, see about leveraging your auto insurance. I did that route and it ended up costing me barely anything out of pocket even though I insisted on OEM factory glass that cost about $1300 just for the glass.

I made sure I had preauthorization from the insurance company management to have OEM glass replaced, then I went to the body shop of my choice and had it done and done right.

My only gripe is that the OEM glass manufacturer changed so its brand stamp doesn't match the rest of the windows even though it is OEM. 20+ years later Porsche's part vendors change up slightly.
I replaced my cracked windshield this year and had to argue with the insurance company to foot the bill for OEM. Total cost was $3k.

Cactus, not sure of your local insurance rules but they will not cover if the damage happened more than 12 months ago.

They innocently asked me how long the window had been cracked and I said 11 months and the agent said that I just made the cutoff.

Make sure to check before you give them an answer!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 150 Posts

I am not concerned with OEM glass. Read over the years that the new replacements are better (harder with less pitting) than OEM. The installer I talked to said there is a replacement from China that he wont use which made me feel somewhat better.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:46 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Read over the years that the new replacements are better (harder with less pitting) than OEM.
The replacement Porsche carries as of several years ago was labeled Pilkington. I believe you can also source this from Safelite, etc. Pitted pretty quick. There have been previous threads of fitting issues with non OEM glass so thread carefully.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:18 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

No such thing as "soft" glass. However if the outer laminate is thinner it might be more prone to chipping and cracking. Also, the 993 and earlier 911s windshields have a more upright angle than newer cars and take road debris at a more direct angle. An opposite extreme might be a Lamborghini windshield where rocks just bounce off with very minor pitting.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Here is what replaced the windshield on my car:

http://www.flachglas.de/en/products/...y-glass/sigla/
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: German Factory Windshield, is it ever....