Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded my stereo, question about crossover location.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 09:18 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Upgraded my stereo, question about crossover location.

I just upgraded my system to the following:

Alpine 9813 head unit (very nice)
JL 75x4 amp (mounted in hood on floor
MB Quart 4"DKD110 rear speakers
MB Quart 216 Premium component speakers in the doors

My question: The installers (a high-end shop) mounted the crossovers in my door pockets. I hate the location. When I open my pockets, I have to look at this big hunk of crap in there. Does anyone have any experience with mounting the crossovers in a more hidden area?

BTW.. the system cost about $1200 installed, sounds much better than stock, but still doesn't sound all that great. Without a sub, you are pretty much not going to get good sound in these cars.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:26 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 166 Posts
Did your car come with the factory Hi-Fi option ?? If so, you can mount the crossovers in there, otherwise, the location you've got is probably as good as it's going to get. Call Rod Birch at <a href="http://www.caraudioinnovations.com" target="_blank">www.caraudioinnovations.com</a> for top notch advice.

sean
Old 06-15-2003, 11:08 PM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a cab without subs. As discussed in previous posts, getting real hi-fi in these cars especially cabs, is both challenging and expensive. I agree that the mid-fi approach is only marginally better than stock hi-fi option.
You are welcome to take a look /listen to my system which was done by Speakerworks in Orange, I am not too far away in CDM
Old 06-16-2003, 12:19 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motion:

I started with the MB's and I know what you mean about the X-overs and the pocket. I assume you do not have the Hi-Fi door setup as I describe my "hide it" solution.

To make things a little better, I took the pocket off and found that there was enough room to move the X-overs forward quite a bit. Then I cut a piece of 3/32 black ABS (Tap Plastics) that served as a Bulkhead/divider in the door pocket seprating the x-over into its own little forward area. It took some trial and error to make the contour of the bulkhead correct. Once it fit good, I screwed to the side of the MB x-over case lower. This left the remainder of the door pocket for personal stuff. The bulkhead hid the x-over darn well and kept loose small stuff from getting stuck around it. I still had room for my wallet, check book, cell phone cord, etc.

Hope this sparks some ideas.

Quick Reply: Upgraded my stereo, question about crossover location.