Sponsored by:

Dynaudio 360 Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 05:10 PM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dynaudio 360 Installation

A number of you have emailed me regarding my stereo upgrade and specifically how I installed the Dynaudio 3-way system. I will make some general comments and clarifications, if you have additional questions feel free to contact me.

The 8" driver is not a true SW as it only goes down to 35HZ. It does need an enclosure of atleast .5cu' which in the case of the Hi-FI option can go where the Nokia enclosure box is. The hole has to be widened a little bit so some metal must be cut. I had the inner and outer skins dampened with high grade material and used a deflex pad directly behind the speaker.

At high volume this driver moves a lot of air and some resonance is noted involving the armrests and to a lesser extent, transmitted to the inside door panel. The solution may be to replace the plastic egg shaped grill with acoustic cloth, or even enlarge the grill hole if necessary.

Again the bass is very solid but not truly a subwoofer. I find it more than adequate however for my tastes and the type of music that I listen to.

The two smaller drivers ARE NOT IN THE DOOR! Rather, a custom mounting pod clad in factory carpet integrated with the kick panels was fabricated. The kicks are those easily removable rectangular panels lateral to the foot wells. Placement here provides for more realistic staging and avoids sound wave cancellation caused by speakers that are directed across from each other. The effect is excellent as the music appears to come at you from the front over the dash as opposed to from the sides. I got an extra set of kicks from LA Dismantlers for $50.

The crossovers are mounted in the trunk near the amp to allow for tuning access as well as better protection from the elements.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I don't have a digital camera(yet), and Eric the installer has been slow at getting them to me.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:51 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Here are some pics of DrZ install...Pretty cool ha? The ultimate in stealth...

Last edited by DJF1; 07-16-2003 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:41 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
DrZ,

Was wondering what access holes there were between the cabin and the trunk. Specifically, I remember that the holes in my 964 and 3.2 needed to be increased in diameter in order to allow all my wiring to go from the head unit and speakers to the amplifier in the trunk.

I have refrained from installing any stereo in the 993 as a result of not wanting to drill anything into the 993.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:04 PM
DrZ
Racer

Thanks DJ for the assist, I guess I should study the current digital camera thread more closely,

Harold, I am not sure I know the answer to your question. This installation was done professionally with the expressed intent not to alter the car irreversibly. Other than enlarging the hole slightly in the door frame to accomodate the large 8" driver, I don't believe any other modifications were made(atleast not told to me). A lot of people here have mounted amps in the trunk so someone should be able to offer more specific advice. IMO really no other place to put a serious amp in these cars.

This week I will be adding a Brax 1uF IPC, Alpine 7909 limited edition HU, and dual mono Zapco EQ30-SL equalizers using the balanced outputs to the Brax amp if possible, The urge to upgrade never seems to end.

Look forward to lowering the car with the M030/ modified 30mm Bilsteins available from Gert this month.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dr Z,

Can you share some details on how the kick panels were fabricated? I'm going to do the same thing and looking for some ideas.

Also, what is the black area around your woofer? Is that an enclosure of some kind? Details?

I'll likely go the same route overall beause I've got a Sys 360 sitting in my garage.

Thanks much.

Last edited by Rick; 07-16-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

DrZ - are you experiencing any problems with the weight of the 8" drivers in the doors? I'm thinking of doing a similar install with the 2 way System 260 (8" and tweet) and I was concerned that the 8" driver might be too heavy for the door... especially with the known dreaded door click problem.

Also, are you having any problems with the stock hi-fi grills? The holes seem very small - like they would mask much of the sound from the driver...?
Old 07-16-2003, 05:32 PM
DrZ
Racer

Weight, clearance not a problem. As mentioned before, some resonance of door arm and to a lesser extent inside door panel. Both Eric (USD AUDIO) and myself are perfectionists so this issue is still being addressed. Will alter grill if this is the problem i.e. bigger holes, cloth replacement. May need additional sound dampening material within the door pocket. Will post results in a copuple of weeks

MDF mounting ring supports and angulates the driver yes it is necessary, Might be able to purchase it from USD. Try Eric@USDAUDIO.com

Kick panel mod relatively straightfoward. Mounting ring made from plywood, extra kicks from LA Dismantlers, $50. Porsche factory carpet very cheap, somewhere around $75.

Could call Peter Lufrano, sole distributor for Brax(check website) for referral to top installer in your area, He is a nice guy and has given me great advice. If you are in the LA/OC area Speaker Works is the place to go.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DrZ,

Minor correction...Peter is a GREAT guy!! I've talked to him many times and exchanged dozens of emails.
I bought both of my Dyn sets from him, a Brax & 2 Helix amps - very helpful, knowledgable guy. I only wish I had a decent installer in my area.

Thanks for the insights.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

This post has been deleted due to it's blatent disregard of the self promotion rules associated with this community. You can access the rules here: http://www.rennlist.org/charter.htm and https://rennlist.com/nospam.htm .

Old 07-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

This post has been deleted due to it's blatent disregard of the self promotion rules associated with this community. You can access the rules here: http://www.rennlist.org/charter.htm and https://rennlist.com/nospam.htm .

Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Quick Reply: Dynaudio 360 Installation