Sponsored by:

Anyone here who does not track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 01:35 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The distant from the track (time consuming) and looking at the list of things that are needed (lack of equipments) for a DE is somewhat discouraging . Still it's my goal to do DE at least once or twice assuming roll bar is not required for cabs. I just want to learn the car's limit and how to to handle it at high speed. May be I just drive to the track and watch first.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:41 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

Hn,

If you run a Tracquest event (and there are many in Cal.) you will not need rollover protection nor will you need a tech inspection. Obviuosly you want to make sure you car is sound but they trust you to do that yourself. You will need a helmet but they will have a loaner if you do not own one. Check Tracquest.com..............I did one of these events and it was awesome!
My car was a bone stock 90C2 cab and it was more than enough car for my abbilites.
Jamie
Old 12-01-2003, 02:28 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It does seem very skewed sometimes...but to put it in perspective, I have done 3 track days EVER, but probably posted 50 questions about prepping for it...the total responses on the board are probably skewed that way.

The track guys are VERY enthusiastic and are VERY helpful when (and if) the time comes, with much reason, but don't let the track skew stop you from enjoying Rennlist and all the other info you can find, from fixing a power seat to tire pressures (don't hijack the thread with tire pressures though ).

Truthfully, other than the tire wear, the AutoX actually makes my car run better, getting all the crap blown out, and the track is an amazing experience. I highly recommend both, and wouldn't have conceived of doing either without learning about PCA and Rennlist.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:00 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just finished reading the Trackquest site, very informative. Thanks. They don't require roll bar for cabs except Willow Springs and Thunderhill which afaik Willow Spring is the closest to Orange County. I wonder why California Speedway is not being used for these kinds of events (and I don't mean the parking lots).
Old 12-01-2003, 04:29 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

Same situation here. Only a few tracks allow cabs w/o rollover protection. I "had" to drive 6 hours to get to my DE. Loved every minute of it.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:34 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by hn
I wonder why California Speedway is not being used for these kinds of events (and I don't mean the parking lots).
Because they charge $20k per day for the track.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:47 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I figured California Speedway is fairly new and they haven't got their money back yet. I went there for an autox event on the parking lots and saw bunch of motorcyclists were using the track. These guys must have paid some serious money.

thx

Quick Reply: Anyone here who does not track?