Sponsored by:

Anyone here who does not track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll ditto Dan (willisit) & Dave (DKP 97 C2 Coupe).
Old 11-30-2003, 07:54 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

After my car arrives, I will join PCA and Rennlist (when I'm finally worthy). I'll probably attend some of the events, like BAR drives, but not necessarily tracking.

I may also try to be a stewart at Open Road Racing, or Silver State Run events. I'll get Roland to show me the way.

I just like hanging with enthusiasts and talk cars.

CP

CP
Old 11-30-2003, 08:07 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

Had one track experience in my 964 and imediately was hooked. Not just on the running itself but on seeing all the different cars and meeting the other owners. Have a very nice, low milleage cab (very limiting for track events w/o roll bar) so started looking for a coupe and now have a 96' 993 and can't wait for spring. Thought about getting an older car for the track but thought, if i were going to do some mods why not start with the best car that i could personally afford. Now I know that I won't get "into" it and wish that I had started with a newer car. If that makes any sense (still trying to justify it to myself i think).
Old 11-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 945 Likes on 572 Posts

Can't bring myself to track my present car, even with the miles on it, and did not have the garage space to keep the previous for a track car. Having enough fun as it is, and maintaining a harmonious domestic environment with other budget-depleting activities. An occasional spirited romp on a back country road, sometimes with the Bay Area Rennlisters or SoCal friends, is enough to get my pulse up. Besides, I have an addictive personality, and this is for sure one thing I should not even get started on.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:10 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally posted by deltajetfixer
....Unlike Gary Kasparov, I believe we still have an advantage over The Computer when it comes to driving.
Love the analogy...
Old 12-01-2003, 12:30 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my car about five months and haven't tracked it yet. And probably won't. I'm 53 years old and I'm 6'4". Better yet, I have 13 & 10 year old boys who like sports. Can't miss this time with them, whether its sports or just hanging out.

The age itself is not a factor, altho I do have this health thing going on. Mentioned it here once before....But I can't get my head in the car with a helmet on and not have my view out the car look like some slanted pictures a guy posted awhile ago. (no offense-the pictures were good).

But I'm not disappointed. I've had lots of cars (always a performance something) but my 993 wins hands down.

My hats off to all of you who track your cars. I was really surprised at the number of folks on this forum that track. Very interesting and I've learned a lot.

chuck
Old 12-01-2003, 12:59 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

CP,

Although I've done two complete years in the POC Short Track series, as well as 5 years of autocrossing, I have yet to track my current C4S. I'd like to get out there sometime next year, but that remains to be seen.

So, in the meantime I'm just enjoying my 993.

Rich
Old 12-01-2003, 01:08 AM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Originally posted by willisit
Just owning my 993 is bleading me dry so I cannot afford to track mine.. I'd like to but don't see it happening.

I DO enjoy just driving it about though

Thats exactly how i feel. Just owning and opening the garage door to look at it satifies me. Its something my dad and i have always wanted and now that we have it, why drive it hard and possibly risk ruining it. Maybe someday in the distant future i would like to know the limits of the car.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

As someone who needs to attend R.A. (racer's anonymous) for my track addiction I can concur that it is very addicting. My wife thinks I am crazy that I would never consider doing a $100k remodel on our house but would drop that much on a Cup Car without a moments hesitation. (If I had the funds...)

In my opinion, everyone that owns a 911 should at least do a DE event or two. The wear on the car is neglible and it will give you some skills to deal with the "weird" dynamics of a rear engine car, and most importantly you will realize how much you don't know. And if you don't do any DE's, at a minimum you should get a ride with someone that knows how to hustle a 993 around the track so you can appreciate how adept these cars are in their natural environement. If neither one of those excercises gets you excited and your heart rate elevated, then there isn't much hope for you...
Old 12-01-2003, 10:51 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

I agree with Greg. If you don't want to track your own car try to get a ride with someone else. Absolutely amazing. Was greatful to have the chance to see what the 911 is capable of (I am not even close to that myself yet) and have an even greater appreciation for the car.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

I havent tracked yet. Not in my list of priorities yet. Maybe one day.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
...In my opinion, everyone that owns a 911 should at least do a DE event or two. The wear on the car is neglible and it will give you some skills to deal with the "weird" dynamics of a rear engine car, and most importantly you will realize how much you don't know. And if you don't do any DE's, at a minimum you should get a ride with someone that knows how to hustle a 993 around the track so you can appreciate how adept these cars are in their natural environement. If neither one of those excercises gets you excited and your heart rate elevated, then there isn't much hope for you...
I agree with Greg.

Even though I can appreciate if someone doesn't "need" to track their sportscar, if you live in a place like here (Florida) where there simply isn't a place to drive fast enough, not going to the track seems like waste of a perfectly good sportscar.

I know it's a kliche but Porsche really should be driven fast (quick 30 second blast does not qualify) every now and then.

When I still had my old 911 back in Finland I could go and drive it pretty hard on country roads for an hour or so when I wanted and even though it still is not much compared to track time, that was epretty damn good and I think that kind of "life" for a Porsche is good, nothing less is not enough.

Now here where you can't do that, I don't see how I could justify to myself just cruising with my 993 on Ocean Drive.

To me, having a Porsche and not driving really fast with it is like having Pam Andersson as a wife/girlfriend and only having dinners with her or just watching her sitting on a couch.
Nothing wrong with that and even that would be enjoyable but I'll bet she could be more fun than that...
Old 12-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Before I tracked my 3.2 Carrera, I had heard all of these stories about how wicked and scary the handling of a rear-engined Porsche can be. Well, one weekend at Putnam Park taught me that 1) these cars require discipline to drive fast but that there was nothing too traitorous in their nature that was not inherent in any other car; 2) power is my friend; 3) lifting is my enemy. I had a ball (I was not hooked immediately since I was literally already hooked when I was about twelve years old) and lost my trepidation of these cars. I found the handling of the 993, once I got rid of the worn stock suspension, to be as forgiving as the 3.2.

I'm guessing that the older 70's 911's and early Turbos might have been more of a handful, though.

911's have so much potential, it seems a shame to not know what it can do in your hands. However, in the hands of a seasoned pro/amateur racer, it will give new meaning to the term "pushing the performance envelope."

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 12-01-2003 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:03 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
As nice as the C2S was for the street, I have tons more fun in the C2 on the track. I drive a 4x4 diesel truck on the street now...LOL...
I didn't think it was *allowed* to drive a diesel truck in Monterey!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:18 PM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll admit I was completely ignorant of "Driver Education" events until I started exploring this and the PCA websites. I haven't DE'd either the 993 or Boxster yet, mostly because of distance to the nearest track and personal commitments. I would like to try a DE at least once with each car and explore their limits as well as my own. As Greg said, it would give me a greater appreciation for how well the cars handle and help me drive them better. I sort of feel obligated to bring my driving ability closer to the performance level of these cars.

Quick Reply: Anyone here who does not track?