993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help – Need Advice On Best Lightweight Simplified In Car Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003 | 10:08 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Default Help – Need Advice On Best Lightweight Simplified In Car Entertainment System

In conjunction with my engineering project car, I would like to install the best possible/no cost restraints in car entertainment system with the following limitations:

1. maximum of two speakers in each door and no other speakers
2. good base response
3. speaker crossovers as small as possible
4. tuner/CD player head unit
5. maximum of one amplifier – as small as possible to drive the total of four speakers
6. navigation system separate from head unit -- fixed screen (i.e., no electrically retracting unit) and preferably with speaker built in
7. lightest possible overall weight

Thus far, for speakers I am reviewing:

1. DLS -- Ultimate Series
2. Dynaudio --240GT
3. Focal --165 KP or 165K2P
4. MB Quart –QSD 216

For an amplifier (wherein almost all available are too large):

1. Alpine - MRV-T320
2. ARC Audio – 2050 XXK
3. Audiotec Fischer – Helix HXA 20X MKII
4. Sinfoni – 45.2

For the head unit:

Pioneer – DEX-P9 with DEQ-P9 Digital Processor

For the navigation system:

Pioneer -- NAV-SYS610T

Do you have any comments on any of the above or other suggestions?

Thank you.
Old 11-30-2003 | 10:56 AM
JMc
Addict
Rennlist Member

IMHO, if you're not going to install a comparably high performance subwoofer system, in custom enclosures, then you're over-killing the front end of the system. With no SW, you could replace the head unit, digital processor and external amp with a high-end head unit with inboard 50w+ amp. This setup will save much weight (and cost) and sound really great (I vote for the Focals).

To really take advantage of what you're configuring here, add the subwoofers - then it'll be take-no-prisoners fab.

Just food for thought. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2003 | 11:20 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Will a head unit with 50 watts per channel be able to adequately power the Focal 165 KP or 165K2P?
Old 11-30-2003 | 11:36 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

depends on how loud you play them... also the demands of the music.
good amps can give the music a richer tonal quality... install is of course paramount. install tricks always help
Old 11-30-2003 | 12:18 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Robert,
If you decide to go with an outboard amplifier I'm using an MTX which I purchased from Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations, which fits in the stock location. Maybe you should shoot an email off to Rod, he was very helpful when I was trying to decide on upgrades.

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/

Cheers,
Old 11-30-2003 | 03:40 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

JMc - sorry but no space for subwoofers.

Chuck -- I have spoken with Rod. He is very helpful but, of course, he cannot carry all brands. I did, however, buy some equipment from him and am testing it against other brands.

Finally, it does appear as if speakers the level of the ones listed above would be better off with a separate amplifier.

P.S. I have now eliminated the MB Quart units because of the size of the crossovers -- excellent though the product is I do not have a separate vehicle to carry the crossovers.

P.P.S. I have also looked at the Alpine F1 head unit and wonderful piece though it is, it requires a large control unit for which there is no space.
Old 12-01-2003 | 02:44 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Since you won't have rear channels or subwoofers, my first thought would be to forget the amp, and just save money and weight. I mean, why throw money and weight into a sound system that's never really going to be top notch anyway? Seems like polishing a turd. And I personally don't see much need for an amp in your case since a) you're only driving fronts and b) head units are pretty powerful nowadays. Just my $.02 of course.
Old 12-01-2003 | 03:03 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Not sure if any car audio equipment company makes electrostatic speakers for cars. They would be 1/10 of the weight of the regular magnet speakers.

Or maybe you can make you own based on all the projects I have seen you handle, there are few plans on the internet on how to make eletrostatic speakers.
Old 12-01-2003 | 03:36 PM
JohnM
Racer

A bit out of date now I guess, but Gordon got Kenwood to do a special lightweight system for the McLaren F1. I believe it was CD only though, he doesn't believe in radios for road cars

Given the extreme lengths you have gone to to save weight on the car, seems odd to load it up with navigation systems and other gimmicks.
Old 12-01-2003 | 05:34 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

Some things to consider:

Hope this helps.
    Old 12-01-2003 | 05:53 PM
    YellowC4S
    Racer

I have the 3-way Focal Utopia's in my C4S and I find the sound to be very bright and almost harsh when I compare it to the Dynaudio System 360 in the Audi. Also, you will have to decide which is more important when it comes to weight vs performance of your audio system. I personally prefer "passive" head units vs "amplified" recievers. The reason for this is twofold. If the manufacturer of my CD head unit doesn't have to also cram an amplifier into the same chassis as my tuner and my CD transport, I probably got a better tuner and a better CD transport. Also, if my amplifier doesn't have to share the same chassis as my CD transport and tuner, they probably have more room for better cooling and higher performance capacitors and whatnot. Just my .02.
    YMMV
    Old 12-01-2003 | 07:49 PM
    FlyYellow
    Addict
    Lifetime Rennlist

Robert,

Here is my 2 cents. I went through the same thinking.

My car had the hi-fi option. I removed the speakers and casings from the front door. This saves the weight of the factory enclosures and speakers and crossovers inside of them. I installed the mb quarts and the cross overs behind the hi-fi carpet. Net weight savings of 4lbs.

Then I went out and looked for a lightweight amp. it had to be 50w+ per channel (3 way). I found an amp that only weighed in at 4lbs with all IC power amplification. I can lookup the name of the amp, but it is a high quality amp and was rather inexpensive. I installed that under the passenger seat.

Then I put in the car audio innovations subwoofers in the rear with two 8" Boston Pro Series Subs. The subs weigh 15lbs a piece - but they sound absolutely great!

I am very pleased with my system.

Oh and I removed the rear speakers.

Cheers,
    Boris
    Old 12-01-2003 | 07:49 PM
    FlyYellow
    Addict
    Lifetime Rennlist

Robert,

Here is my 2 cents. I went through the same thinking.

My car had the hi-fi option. I removed the speakers and casings from the front door. This saves the weight of the factory enclosures and speakers and crossovers inside of them. I installed the mb quarts and the cross overs behind the hi-fi carpet. Net weight savings of 4lbs.

Then I went out and looked for a lightweight amp. it had to be 50w+ per channel (3 way). I found an amp that only weighed in at 4lbs with all IC power amplification. I can lookup the name of the amp, but it is a high quality amp and was rather inexpensive. I installed that under the passenger seat.

Then I put in the car audio innovations subwoofers in the rear with two 8" Boston Pro Series Subs. The subs weigh 15lbs a piece - but they sound absolutely great!

I am very pleased with my system.

Oh and I removed the rear speakers.

Cheers,
    Boris
    Old 12-01-2003 | 09:43 PM
    Robert Linton
    Race Car

Thank you all. As of this point in time:

1. I have decided against a navigation system.

2. I will be using the Porsche head unit as well as a special equalizer that Porsche had made for the car -- nothing else looks proper and these Alpine built units are of good quality.

3. The speakers will be Focal K2P.

4. The amplifier will be either Audison or Brax.
    Old 12-01-2003 | 09:45 PM
    Greg Fishman
    Addict
    Lifetime Rennlist

Why not just stick with a $25 Walkman?

Quick Reply: Help – Need Advice On Best Lightweight Simplified In Car Entertainment System