Rear Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Kristoffer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Emblem

Ok,

As you all know a few months back i replaced my stock tail with the TurboS tail When I did it I didn't want to install the "carrera" rear emblem. Instead I have been looking for a "993" with no avail Does anyone have any pictures of one & can you tell me where to find it??

Thanks
Old 11-27-2003, 09:41 AM
ksimpson
Racer

Kristoffer,

I'm not too sure that you will be able to get hold of a 993 emblem without getting it custom made. Porsche never badged the car as 993. It was merely an internal factory designation.

Maybe the numbers are available from Porsche separetely? You could get two 9's from 911 and the 3 from GT3? I'm not sure though as they need to be the same script and colour. Perhaps someone else can chime in with ideas.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:59 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If someone can locate or has access to a custom manufacture, I would be interested as long as the price isn't totaly ridiculous .

Old 11-27-2003, 11:21 AM
deleonl1
Racer

I believe someone on Rennlist used the 968 emblem...turned the "6" around for the second "9" and chopped the "8" into a "3". Looked really good. I wish I could remember where I saw it...probably in the gallery.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Cy
Racer

Hey Deleon,

I believe that Robin went the 968 badge route. Might want to check p-car.com.

Regards,
Old 11-30-2003, 10:54 AM
deleonl1
Racer

You got it...check out the gallery in p-car.com.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:41 PM
96P993
Pro

I replaced my carrera emblem several months ago, when I took off the original I was a bit upset that the outline of the emblem looked as though it was etched into the clear coat. I tried to get it off by buffing it out but it made no difference. Has anyone else had this problem. I too wanted to go the 911 or 993 route but Im afraid I would have to get that area repainted before putting on the new emblem..
Old 12-01-2003, 01:28 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

hey 96p993--- replaced a "boxster" badge w/ "986". i'll be changing out the "carerra" for either a "911" or "993" one.

i did have a bit of a problem removing the old mark from the old badge. used "griots" machine polish 1, 2 & 3 to remove & it worked... needed to go over several times to get rid of (what appeared to be) slight indentations along the eged though.
my car was black... so probably easier to work with than arena.
maybe you should try paint sanding it w/ 2000 & then polishing it? any chance some fading occured? bol
Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Kristoffer
Pro

Deleon:

I'll try the 968 trick!!

96p993:

It sounds like your paint faded. When I installed my new tail it replaced my deck lid, so it is not an issue for me
Old 12-01-2003, 11:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by 96P993
I replaced my carrera emblem several months ago, when I took off the original I was a bit upset that the outline of the emblem looked as though it was etched into the clear coat. I tried to get it off by buffing it out but it made no difference. Has anyone else had this problem. I too wanted to go the 911 or 993 route but Im afraid I would have to get that area repainted before putting on the new emblem..
Wetsanding with 1200 or 1500 paper, then polishing would more than likey take care of that...
Old 12-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Cy
Racer

Hey Chris,

I had exactly the same problem on my original trunk lid. My car is midnight blue and when I removed the Carrera badge you could clearly read "Carrera" in the paint like it was still there. Even though the paint looks like it is *great* shape, I'm guessing there's been relatively substantial fading. I'd probably buff through the surrounding paint trying to get it to look as dark as like the paint under the badge.

I even had some paint or clearcoat flake off with the badge even though I used dental floss to remove it . . . maybe some adhesive release would have helped. I'm guessing the weakness in the paint resulted from a combination of *many* heat cycles, the car's life in the South, even though covered except for when driven, and age.

Anyway, I replaced the entire trunk lid when I put on the RS tail and have decided to go badgeless. I'm also going to remove the badge on the front trunk lid, too . . . but that's a little more complicated due to needing to plug the hole . . . actually, plugging hole is very complicated when your car is stored 800 miles away from where you live. The old trunk lid, which I'm keeping in case I want to convert back, I'm going to have to put the Carrera emblem back on it.

Anyway, good luck with it . . . hopefully you can resolve your issue . . . just wanted to let you know you weren't alone.

As an additional note, I had similar paint discoloration under the stone guards when they were replaced. Oddly with the stone guard on the paint appears to match perfectly . . . with it off, there's a significant contrast. Anyway, there would be no removing the stone guards (not that I'd want to anyway).

Regards,
Old 12-01-2003, 01:32 PM
96P993
Pro

Cy let me put a bug in your ear about the front emblem...I took my gold one off and replaced it with a silver and black emblem. Let me tell you it made all the difference in the world. It actually changed the look of the front hood. I am actually in the process of shaving off the wiper squitters from the hood and the front fenders..The look to me is so clean and perfect for a garage queen. I would take a serious look at the silver emblem before you take on the hole covering project....On midnight blue I would think it would look great...
Old 12-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Cy
Racer

Hey Chris,

Throw all the bugs at me you've got . . . it's amazing how resistant you become to upgrades when you only get to visit your car every two months. Although, there were those RS door panels, and the carpet for the rear to remove the seats, and the RS washer bottle, and the motorsound cover and turbo intake elbow, and . . . wait, this isn't supporting my point?

I'd considered the silver crest previously and may end up going with that . . . thought it would look good, esp. with the yellow lenses gone. (I should have more to worry about in my life.) However, it's always been a pain to polish around the badges. So when I decided to keep the rear badgeless, I started to think the front might look rather sleek without the front badge. I'm not really talking about anything that's initially highly complicated such as welding and repainting. If it keeps the water out and isn't noticable from 3 or 4 feet (if you're looking for it) then that's OK for now . . . at least would give me a feel for it.

It'll probably look different on a darker car, so I'll shoot you a front and rear picture when I'm done . . . probably around Christmas as that's the next time I'm going to get a chance to visit with my baby . . . couple of days of Zaino treatments in store . . . install some new parts . . . oh, yes . . . and visit my family.

(EDIT: BTW, how are you "shaving" your spray nozzles? Are you welding the hood and patching the bumper?)

Regards,
Old 12-01-2003, 04:50 PM
96P993
Pro

I have acutally filled them with a no weld type of putty...Its not like bondo or any type of body filler...Its actually pretty cool, it gets really hot and actually "welds" itself to the surface. Then I put a thin finishing coat of body filler to smooth things out and presto its done..I wanted to weld it but this stuff is really really strong and should do the job for quite sometime....I will post pics when I get it back...
Old 12-01-2003, 05:35 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

o-kay now you've got my attention... 96p993 please do post pict.
the minimalist approach sounds great. i'll bet it will really clean up the fron of the car. besides... i can't even remember the last time i've even used the window/lense washer. next maybe a wiper-delete & rain gutter removal too?

Quick Reply: Rear Emblem