Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Driver's worst nightmare. My tire almost ripped off my rim on the freeway!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 02:44 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SmarTire Wireless Monitoring Systems (from Tire Rack)

Intellivalve Wireless Tire Monitoring System

Schrader Wireless Tire Pressure Monitor

and there are others.

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 11-27-2003 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Cy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL . . . DJ, that is one great Haiku!!

Todd, thanks for the follow-up on the puncture question.

And Bubba Guru . . . thanks for weighing in with a more scientifically derived opinion.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
Old 11-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

I have ordered the INTELLIvalve. I will have it mounted by the next track outing with TracQuest December 8 and 9 at Sears Point. A report will follow....the system costs about $250, 4 wireless sensors and a LCD display.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:54 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Martin S.
I have ordered the INTELLIvalve.
Martin
I've been looking at these systems for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger. Why did you select the Intellivalve?
Dan
Old 11-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Here's a link to a friend's review/DIY installation of the SmarTire product on his 996TT:

http://www.heumann.com/smartire/index.html
Old 11-28-2003, 01:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Why INTELLIvalve, Consumer Reports November edition gave it a Best of Class award. I like the fact that all is contained in the valve, rather than a strap around the wheel. In addition, there are many other car mags that have given the product a thumbs up. For $250 I certainly hope it works!!! If it does (and it should), I will really like knowing tire temps and pressures on the fly. The tems are accurate within 3 degrees F. This will let me know when I am frying a tire...any temp above 225 degrees F generally is not good. Pressures are important too. With this data I may be able to prognosticate tire wear. we'll see.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:49 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car came with the smarttire system. Works great and its always convenient to be able to check the tire pressures before heading to wherever I'm going.
I too didnt like the strap around the wheel design but it came with it.
One system that caught my eye was the one made by BERU. If mine ever fails I'll be looking more into that.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:16 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Question Tire Pressure Monitors

Let me just see if I'm understanding this right. Just quickly looking at the options for tire pressure monitors it seems like the offerings from Schrader and BERU are intended for OEM applications. I don't see any provisions for a display, so it doesn't seem like they would be useful for a retrofit. Am I missing something here?

Beru Tire Safety System TSS

Schrader Electronics Smart Valve
Old 11-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Chuck C makes a good point. I am going to roll the dice with INTELLIvalve. I will double check the rire pressures with my digital tire pressure gauge and the temps with my probe style pyrometer. I plan to take copious notes and collect the data for some linear regression studies and come up with a R value for coorelation. I will post the results on RENNLIST.

Last edited by Martin S.; 11-28-2003 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:52 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Martin,
I was slack jawed stupefied recently when an H-D passed me on the highway and it didn't rattle my teeth. I didn't know anyone on the planet owned a Harley with mufflers.

I'm know I'm on thin ice pointing this out (since I drive around in a super sexy "hey look at me" Porsche-car) but can these H-D riders be screaming for any more attention? Maybe they need to install devices that shoot sparks and laser beams in case a hearing impaired driver doesn't notice their 235 dB exhaust note as they go by. H-D owners take offense or not as you choose. Really OT, sorry.

I was explained the meaning behind the sculpture...something about the construction of Barber MSP being delayed because of environmental concerns over some little bug, or creature, or flora...so it isn't actually anti-motorcycle, it is pro. I don't usually "get" art, and I don't really understand this one either, but I still find the image captivating.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:33 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Chuck C.,

I edited out my noise comment. All I need is love these days, no flames.

Re. the Harley noise, all I know is that the db noise limits and running open exhaust is low priority on the CHiP's list. They simply have too much on their plate being understaffed, and underpaid in my opinion. I talked to a Chippy the other day. He said he just loved to write noise tickets and he does when he can...too many Harleys says he.

I think I just have to join the trend and get some Joe Fab mufflers, Super Cups I believe they are called. My neighbors may bitch, but.....
Old 11-28-2003, 04:15 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Martin,
You're hanging me out to dry? My comments just look like senseless raving now...oh, that is the usual for me.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

OK...here are my comments again (paraphrased). I have asked Chuck C to bring down that huge bug to pick off some of the Harley's going by on 101 in Solana Beach. It seems that about 90% run with straight pipes and I find that long stroke, big displacement noise to be annoying. On the other hand, I like the noise of a Rice Rocket at about 10,000 RPM.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, I'll wade in here. I live near PCH, and the sound of traffic doesn't bother me. Except Harleys--which frequently come in packs as long as a freight train. Incredible, it's like having someone yelling in your ear.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

How ironic, i just came back from a harley davidson dealer.

Quick Reply: Driver's worst nightmare. My tire almost ripped off my rim on the freeway!