Sponsored by:

trip computer anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 10:00 AM
Jonathan C
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trip computer anomaly

For those of you who have trip computers, I have observed the following in my vehicle:

The normal function of the computer is to display “miles driven since last reset” when the ignition is switched off. This will remain on the display for a few minutes and then go blank.

1. If I drive around with the doors unlocked, the above post-shut-down display works properly.

2. And, if I drive around with my doors locked (by pressing the “lock” button on the switch console), but unlock the doors with the button *before* turning off the engine, the post-shut-down display works properly.

3. But, if I drive around with my doors locked and turn off the engine with the doors still locked (doors will automatically unlock when the inside door handle is activated), the trip computer goes blank immediately upon engine shut-down; i.e. the display does not work as indicated in the owner’s manual.

I have consistently repeated these results. Interesting? Well, maybe not interesting, but vexing?

Jonathan, 1997 Carrera
Old 11-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Another one is if you drive around with the sunroof closed then no air leaks into the car around the door handles (ie "hermetically" sealed).

If you then drive around with the sunroof open, air leaks in around the handles....
Old 01-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Jonathan C
Intermediate

Follow up: this topic never raised any interest, but I have now also noticed

4. the same situation as #3 above, but if one opens the PASSENGER side door, the screen does NOT go blank. It only seems to be the function of opening the driver side door when locked that cancels the computer display.

Just thought I'd add that for posterity!

--Jonathan
Old 01-21-2004, 12:39 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonathan...don't spend too much time thinking about this...just enjoy the fact that you can enjoy all the functions the OBC gives you

Quick Reply: trip computer anomaly