Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you, Porsche, for your phenomenal brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 02:48 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anybody remember a comedian, Gallagher (I think), who proposed rubber-stickum-tipped dart guns that you could shoot at offending drivers cars. They would have flags on them that proclaim "I drive like an idiot". If a cop saw a car with a certain number of these on a car, he would write a ticket for being stupid.

Hmmmm... sounds like a pretty good idea for exactly these times.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:58 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ca993twin
Does anybody remember a comedian, Gallagher (I think), who proposed rubber-stickum-tipped dart guns that you could shoot at offending drivers cars. They would have flags on them that proclaim "I drive like an idiot". If a cop saw a car with a certain number of these on a car, he would write a ticket for being stupid.
I would vote for that law! I don't mind stopping every ten minutes or so to remove darts.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:14 PM
blackcat
Racer

One trick to get tailgaters to back off is one I saw in 'The Eiger Sanction' - turn on your lights! The folks behind you will think you're slowing when you aren't... it's worked a few times for me, although one time the guy was so pissed off when he realized what happened that he sucked right back up onto my back bumper

Of course this only works during the day.

BTW I almost got clocked THREE times in the same parking lot! One lady drove a minivan down the wrong side of the road, a girl in a Saturn cut across the aisles and almost Tboned me (driver's side no less), and a lifted Ford 4x4 pickup with the obligatory mud tires (Mud tires? During the summer? In California???) that decided a lane and a half wasn't enough... :P

I like the idea of the dart guns, but it'd just start another 'arms race' - anti dart launchers, stealth darts, cruise darts, lawsuits for defamation of character...

Pete
Old 11-25-2003, 03:16 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Get the license plate # and report her for reckless driving.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:17 PM
lexpilot
Racer

In about 1992 my wife had a 1991 Acura Legend. A good sedan at that time. I was driving her car with her as a passenger and had someone pull out in front of me. Dry pavement, late afternoon. I hit the brakes and the Honda ABS system went to work and I stopped just barely in time to see the frozen driver in front of me. I was not speeding. The guy behind me had an older model car without ABS and rear ended her nearly new Legend.
My point is that even with superior equipment we still can get hurt.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck - OT I know, but SM to Calabasas is a great commute - PCH, Topanga, Old Topanga!
Old 11-26-2003, 01:08 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apex,
It was a traffic jam, he obviously was not going anywhere. Did you think to rap on his window and politely alert him to the fact that you had done him a good service by removing your car from the apparent risk at hand???

Nah, I didn't think so.......I would have wanted to kill him too!!!

Screw him!!

Robert
Old 11-26-2003, 01:18 AM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Dave,
I am so braindead, I was thinking of Calaveras...my only defense is that I haven't lived in CA for about 20 years. I thought you had moved and didn't change your profile. Dart me. I've been through Topanga Canyon a few times, that is a great area to drive.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:03 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by ca993twin

Hmmmm... sounds like a pretty good idea for exactly these times.
Steve, I would love to be able to do this!!! That would force me to wax my car more often so the darts wont stick!!
Old 11-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Kitch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things:

1) Get a Hella Air Horn, faaaaaaaaaaaaar more satisfying than any stock horn.

2) At least in my S4 I have a rear fog light. So even at nigh I can pop that puppy on and usually get tailgaters to back off. It's only one of the rear tailights that comes to full braking brightness but works nonetheless
Old 11-28-2003, 12:26 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agree with idiots and fools being protected. Must be because no one else wants to take em so they make sure they stay here on earth as long as possible.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:03 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

That "I screwed up, but your the one thats wrong" was something that I only thought existed in SoCal. Interesting.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Olav A.
Racer

I have noticed no one uses their turn signals anymore and happily drift from one lane to another. Mostly cellphoners do this but I'm noticing that a lot of people do this with or without a phone stuck in their ear. I'm afraid of getting side swiped especially when I'm signaling to go into number two from number one lane and someone else doesn't signal to go into number two lane from number 3 lane.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:21 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Dave Crellin
.....My office is over in the west SF valley, in Calabasas, and in the mornings it's full of SUVs doing the school run, Latte in one hand, cell phone in the other and no hands on the wheel, or at least that what it looks like. This is a serious road safety issue.
HOME!!!!

I live in Calabasas, and I can vouch for you. The worst soccer momage in their H2's and denali's you have ever seen. they are HORRIBLE!!! seriously, if you plan on driving through Calabasas, stay CLEAR of SUVS, hard to do considering they make up 70% of traffic. *sigh*

On topic though, glad to hear it worked out allright, I've had many of these fun moments before.

~Eyal

Quick Reply: Thank you, Porsche, for your phenomenal brakes...