Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stuck power driver's seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 02:39 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, I'm an idiot here, so forgive this. If the cable was out of the socket, wouldn't the motor be turning with nothing happening? Or would the seat start to go cockeyed, and bind, and thus stop the motor? His symptom sounds like mine where you could hear the motor try to start (thus eliminating the switch as a possibility) and then quit. Bucking the seat freed it up for me, but maybe us "westerners" know how to ride a bronco better than San Fransisco city slickers?
Old 11-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try giving the seatback a solid whack forward while holding the botton to move the seat forward. I hauled off and hit it as hard as I could, as low as I could to get the most impact.

Your seat situation sounds identical to mine as the cables were OK and the motor twists a little when you press the adjuster switch. A good thunk...I mean a hard thunk got mine un-stuck.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2003, 04:46 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by MrCanuck
.......any other ideas out there?
Now - I know I don't know much - but humor me Go back to my first post in this thread - and try step 1: "Remove the button plate on the side of the seat, and you will see the button contacts ...... Be sure the button makes contact and...are clean.

Now - if you want - with the panel removed and towels/rags under the seat and along the sill carpet - spray a "dab" of WD-40 into the switch contact (the switch that moves the seat forward/back). Oh - the rags will collect the over spray - 'cause if you are like me - if a "little works - a LOT should be even better"

Let's see what happens...
Old 11-25-2003, 04:59 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by ca993twin
......His symptom sounds like mine where you could hear the motor try to start (thus eliminating the switch as a possibility) and then quit. ....
Hey Steve,

Actually - on my '87 911 I had a very similiar problem.. Push the switch - get a "thunk" - so I could have SWORN it was the motor, gears or cable. I spent about 3 hours pulling everything after removing the seat..??! Put it all back in - and still just a thunk.

Hmmm - cleaned the switch (about 5 minutes - and I could'a left the seat installed - duh!!!) - and guess what - worked like a charm!!!.. I dunno if the contacts were "dirty" and would start then arc out - or the swich had dirt in it and then short out - or what....

Best to you!
Old 11-25-2003, 07:09 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

100 rennlist points to Bruce in Seattle. (and 75 points to everyone else who offered tips!)

I raised the seat to it's highest position, took the button plate off, sprayed some weasel **** in the connectors...and... nothing.

I then checked the outboard cable... and it looked fine... still nothing.

So I'm kneeling on the ground staring at this flippin seat when I fold the seat forward, hold the button down and in a fit of desperation really whack the very bottom, back of the seat .. and voila..... rumble rumble the seat starts moving forward.

Go figure! Of course this goes against everything my father ever taught me about "hitting it isn't going to do any good!!"

Thanks to everyone!

Old 11-25-2003, 07:43 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

whacking......pushing............hitting......... man handling..........bucking

Way to go!

-------------------
'97 blk/blk C2S
Old 11-25-2003, 08:15 PM
John D.
Banned

Outstanding!!!!!

With all the suggestions - something was about to work - or break it, so at least you'd know what was broke BTW: Sorry the weasel **** didn't work for you - if it had, I could'a started my own website and achieved instant "guru" status...

BTW - Nice new Avatar!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:52 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Add this to the list of 993 "issues" for the next person that posts telling us that he has always wanted a 993 but wants to know what he is in for.

I have had to use the ride 'em cowboy technique twice until I realized not to put it back all the way. Now when adjusting the seat I put it all the way back and then immediately adjust one "blip" forward and no problems since.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:38 AM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Mine does the exact same thing. Whacking / bronco treatment has worked in the past but it is firmly stuck now. Guess I'll have to get a bigger hammer
Old 11-26-2003, 10:27 AM
evdean
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had a similar problem. my cable fell out
p-car.com has pictures and info
Old 04-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Beezr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another 100 points to Bruce - and immeasurable points to Rennlist for the "simple" fact that 3.5 years later I can quickly search and solve my problem in a few minutes.

Raised front and back of the seat to max, pushed fwd button and whacked the back bottom of the seat (like you would whack a bottle of ketchup) - and there she goes. Now if only getting ketchup out of a new bottle was this easy.

Thanks all!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue when picking up my car from the shop a couple of weeks ago. It took one good whack. The mechanic said it's due to worn teeth in the gear.

It's good to hear that appararently no one has had this gear issue totally fail (yet).

Quick Reply: stuck power driver's seat