2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,792 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

Drinker’s package, I like it. I just installed an aftermarket cupholder the other day...

Originally Posted by stout
^ Is there anything other than a gated shifter in that photo?
Originally Posted by Argon_
Not that I can see.
Carbon fiber cupholder!

Now all we need is a carbon fiber smoker's package.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
No, a skilled driver can manage the rearward weight distribution and use it where its advantageous to do so.
That's precisely what I said. Read again.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:52 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

911 is rear engine because back in 1965 Porsche needed to sell cars and most buyers didn't want, need, or have the funds for multiple cars, so they needed at least kid-sized rear seats. VW Beetle, 356, 911 were all compromised with the rear engine because they needed to fit booger-nosed kids in the backseat. Whenever Ferdinand, Ferry, Ferdi Piech, etc. needed to win races, going back to the mid-fifties when they first had enough money to build purpose-built race cars, they put the motor in the middle. When they subsequently won races with 911s (a decade after the model's introduction*) they did so precisely because they now needed to sell 911s, and you know, win on Sunday, sell on Monday. They had 911s to sell so that's what they went racing with when they could, in the series where they could be competitive.

Yes, there've been a few amazing flukes like 73 and 03? Daytona where they won outright against prototypes; but they were always a good bit slower. They just outlasted the prototypes on those occasions.

* Exception of course goes to Monte Carlo Ralley winners Elford and Linge in 68, if I recall correctly. That was a particularly icy/snowy race, so the weight back then (when all cars were RWD) was a much bigger advantage than it was on tarmac
Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I thought dwelling on BIG GULP and NUBBIE were getting out of hand. Now we're debating rear vs mid engine??

What next?? PDK vs manual?

NA vs Turbo?

Dyson vs Eureka?

Last edited by STG; 02-24-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:13 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I thought dwelling on BIG GULP and NUBBIE were getting out of hand. Now we're debating read vs mid engine??

What next?? PDK vs manual?

NA vs Turbo?

Dyson vs Eureka?
This.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:22 PM
STG
Race Director

This.

In next 5-10yrs when Porsche is trying to push electric down our throats, we will be wishing for turbo or any gas powered engine.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
I would also suggest that rear-engine driving rear wheels and air-cooling = cost savings for obvious reasons. This is why VW was designed like that. Since then many automakers had rear-engined cars and some had air cooled ones too. Porsche just found a key to the hearts of sports car enthusiasts w/o a complete redesign.
Later on this RE/RWD cost saving platform has been replaced with front-engine FWD cars. They obviously suffer from power steering.
U N D E R S T E E R
Old 02-24-2018, 10:44 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by STG
In next 5-10yrs when Porsche is trying to push electric down our throats, we will be wishing for turbo or any gas powered engine.
Gas cars will persist a lot longer than you'd think. Both in the very high and low price brackets.

Lithium is expensive and the service lives of said batteries are short. This will keep the used market dry of cheap electric cars, pushing those with severely restricted budgets to combustion ones.

As for the high end. Many people drive for enjoyment, and much of that joy is sapped without an engine. I bet the 60th anniversary 911 will still have a flat six and a stick, even if you do have to pay extra for the third pedal.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Gas cars will persist a lot longer than you'd think. Both in the very high and low price brackets.

Lithium is expensive and the service lives of said batteries are short. This will keep the used market dry of cheap electric cars, pushing those with severely restricted budgets to combustion ones.

As for the high end. Many people drive for enjoyment, and much of that joy is sapped without an engine. I bet the 60th anniversary 911 will still have a flat six and a stick, even if you do have to pay extra for the third pedal.

I agree, but your friends at PAG have more aggressive plans. Whether they pay off is another story.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
I'll buy that round of beer if you're right.

One thing that intrigues me with the photos above is that the vinyl dash has survived for another generation. I figured it might just disappear this time…
Old 02-24-2018, 11:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Carbon fiber cupholder!

Now all we need is a carbon fiber smoker's package.
Genau. For Camel Lights.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's precisely what I said. Read again.
OK to put it another way, there is no great advantage to a rear engined lay out. Moreover, to drive a 911 very quickly (as in put down genuinely fast lap times) you have to be a very good driver to master the nuances. Its far, far easier to drive a well set up mid-engined car quickly.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:23 PM
STG
Race Director

I'll buy that round of beer if you're right.

One thing that intrigues me with the photos above is that the vinyl dash has survived for another generation. I figured it might just disappear this time…

As far as the dash, what material would you have envisioned? Other than optional leather wrapped? The standard plastic/vinyl isn't good for keeping looking nice. Kind of a chalky black that is hard to evenly use product on to keep it looking fresh and a deeper black. Could be much better quality in my opinion.

What do you think the seats will be like? Any major changes? That's something we haven't discussed at all.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:28 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Right. .... With such a huge vested contingent of enablers why would it ever change?
Thread derail successful

Back on topic: Cup Holder... meh. I don't need no steenkin' cup holder.

I don't mind a TFT display in place of gauges. (Although I can do without the inevitable software bugs that will result in 'couldn't reproduce' on the service record.) I do mind switch gear the function of which can't be discerned by touch.

Next thread derail:

Porsche got it right with the switch gear and user interface in the 928. Every single switch, ****, and slider can be reached and used without taking your eyes off the road. Every switch, ****, and slider is easily at hand with hands on wheel or stick. And last but not least, the instrument cluster height adjusts with the steering wheel height. It's basically perfect if - at this point, 40 years later - out-dated looking.

Porsche almost got it right with the 981/991/95B generation. The 992's interior usability appears to be going backwards.

The glass/haptic buttons on the new Panamera look pretty but don't function like you want buttons to function. And that is the problem: car interiors are designed, now, to look pretty with little regard for functionality.

And last, what my wife said about the **** is unprintable.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:31 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by RRDnA
OK to put it another way, there is no great advantage to a rear engined lay out. Moreover, to drive a 911 very quickly (as in put down genuinely fast lap times) you have to be a very good driver to master the nuances. Its far, far easier to drive a well set up mid-engined car quickly.
That's entirely true.

Moreover, what I was saying is that the corner exit traction of a rear engined car is unmatched by any other platform, though it requires an exceedingly skilled driver to fully exploit.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE