Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:33 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
What if amidst all the interior/exterior facelifting they dropped 2 cylinders and added batteries in the back? Dont shoot me. I see them doing it... maybe not for the 992.1 but possibly the 992.2.
6 cylinders are going to stay through the 992 series. Hybrid will be here for the 992.2.

BTW - Does anybody know when rennlist is going to create the 992 forum?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
6 cylinders are going to stay through the 992 series. Hybrid will be here for the 992.2.

BTW - Does anybody know when rennlist is going to create the 992 forum?
I agree. Was just throwing it out there. That's what it looks like based on the statements. With respect to a 4 banger... Porsche hopefully realizes they cant do this to the 911. If they add batteries to the current engine I see them taking out the turbos for space in the back so they dont mess up the balance.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. Was just throwing it out there. That's what it looks like based on the statements. With respect to a 4 banger... Porsche hopefully realizes they cant do this to the 911. If they add batteries to the current engine I see them taking out the turbos for space in the back so they dont mess up the balance.
I hope so. A 911 with four cylinders, and/or an electric motor is no 911 at all.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:54 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
I hope so. A 911 with four cylinders, and/or an electric motor is no 911 at all.
The worst nightmare would be a hybrid 911. An electric motor, large energy storage battery, regenerative braking systems and who knows what else will simply make the car a completely different driving experience, which doubtful will be enjoyable. Not that getting rid of the gas engine would ever get my vote, but a pure electric would be a rocket, simpler and keep the 911 somewhat closer to its' root purpose of driving enjoyment. Don't flame me, but has anyone met a great driving hybrid yet?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
The worst nightmare would be a hybrid 911. An electric motor, large energy storage battery, regenerative braking systems and who knows what else will simply make the car a completely different driving experience, which doubtful will be enjoyable. Not that getting rid of the gas engine would ever get my vote, but a pure electric would be a rocket, simpler and keep the 911 somewhat closer to its' root purpose of driving enjoyment. Don't flame me, but has anyone met a great driving hybrid yet?
Pure electric would surely be fast, though it couldn't be as engaging as a flat six and a stick.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Don't flame me, but has anyone met a great driving hybrid yet?
I think this one's supposed to be pretty ok.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:20 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Pure electric would surely be fast, though it couldn't be as engaging as a flat six and a stick.
Agreed!
Originally Posted by worf928
I think this one's supposed to be pretty ok.
Well, ok. I do hope I'm wrong, but I wasn't referring to race cars or million dollar 918s.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:23 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Don't flame me, but has anyone met a great driving hybrid yet?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Hybrid and electric 911 will happen no doubt. More likely generation after 992. Don't think 992 will be designed for hybrid. For sure not full electric.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

What are the odds they ditch the7 speed manual for the 6 speed, now that they are using the 6 speed in multiple vehicles.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:55 PM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

992 Forum you got my vote!
I figure I will not be ready to get a PTS run on the 991.2, so I'm eagerly watching the reveals to see if I will like the 992.
i just cannot get enough... of that PORSCHE 992 stuff! ... I think that was a commercial ... maybe a cookie commercial? Hell, senility is setting in!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:01 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
What are the odds they ditch the7 speed manual for the 6 speed, now that they are using the 6 speed in multiple vehicles.
Slim to none. They need to hit emissions/mpg #'s
Old 02-25-2018, 11:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Slim to none. They need to hit emissions/mpg #'s
Meh, the car is geared so long as it is, they could easily keep the same overall spread with just 6 speeds.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:46 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

I would be shocked to see them decide 7 gears AND turbos for 7 model years and then all of a sudden throw this philosophy out the window for better shifting. If they did I would probably trade my undorn carrera T for it
Old 02-26-2018, 12:51 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
As long as electric continues to improve, it will quickly become the car of choice for most of the "non-car-guy" buyers out there, if it isn't already. My wife would be well-served by electric as long as it is convenient for her. Give her a 350-mile range, similar to her ML350, and an easy charging solution in the house overnight, and she'd never need off-site fueling. Getting to places farther away than 350 miles is and would remain MY problem.

Anyway, if the economics work out, even to where unsubsidized electrics get down to no more than 10% more than gassers (Total Cost of Ownership), I think most regular people would prefer them -- in fact already do. Much quieter, no smells, no gas station stops, belief they're helping the environment, faster acceleration than equivalent price gassers.

So at that point, you won't have to subsidize and you won't have to legislate against gassers -- the free market will put most people into electrics by choice, and they'll be happier with them. In fact, most won't even own the things, but will just hail them with an app. So I think US Congress will leave us gas-heads alone as far as legislating against us. The problem will be shrinking supply of purchase options, as well as dwindling availability of gas stations.
Ain’t this the truth. Just participated in a focus group today and all the “normies” were jumping at EV’s. They’d rate a car low in design, then when finding out it’s an EV, they started saying how they were now interested.

People want EV’s except for those who protest at “future stuff” and automotive purists. I support EV’s on my brain side and think technically they’ll blow gas cars away in terms of everything statistical and logistical. But my heart and automotive emotional side will have me only spending “big bucks” on a visceral gas car. Cars are emotional to me. An expensive EV just doesn’t interest me (I’d get a cheap one), as no matter how fast, it won’t rivet or engage me, nor entice my senses (especially aurally). I’d rather have a cheap EV over a cheap gasser, but an expensive, raw, emotive gasser over an expensive EV.

Yes, many will think I’m nuts, but I actually support a hybrid 911 IF Porsche could solve the weight issues, IF it meant replacing turbos with an electric motor to provide the additional boost. Think about it; You’d get the pure anadulterd natural N/A sound, and the “FI” boost, except with no lag and even more down low torque, and better MPG. Literally a best of all worlds. IF Porsche can solve some of the hybrid setbacks.

Think about the 918 Spyder vs P1 as an example. The 918 has less HP, but due to the immediate-delayless-spoolless immense torque, is faster. AND it sounds WAY better as ditching turbos for electric motors allowed them to keep a higher displacement engine running higher compression.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE