Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The thing about it is, you don't use most of the buttons. There are a crap ton for the HVAC that you just don't use because you put it on auto and leave it. When we first got our 958 Cayenne I was like "woah" but it's really not a big issue.
Which is my point. There's tons of unnecessary nonsense buttons on that cabin. Kinda like looking at an old, cheap Japanese receiver with 30 different nonsense 'features'. I much prefer the tactile feel of buttons and switches, but there's a limit to how many you need. The rest are just clutter.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
NOPE. Sorry. I’ve put my own hands on the horrid nubbin thing. In a dream OF COURSE. But my dreams are very vivid and psychic and unless Porsche is trolling us, which is uncharacteristic of a German manufacturer, the 911 gets a less sporty, less ergonomic, more lazy boy luxo barge shifter than its SUV siblings. What you’re seeing on the 911 interior spy pictures is unfortunately what you’ll get.
There are two buttons behind the nubbin in the spy photos. I am guessing that "P" is for park and "M" is for manual. Paddle shifting only. The nubbin is not for shifting.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
There are two buttons behind the nubbin in the spy photos. I am guessing that "P" is for park and "M" is for manual. Paddle shifting only. The nubbin is not for shifting.
Copying Ferrari.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

I’m really hoping that the third brake light does not look like that. Unfortunately, I think the yellow one may be a reality.

Hoping for this one.

The design aesthetic isn’t really very unique.

Ryan
Old 08-07-2018, 11:01 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by medias116
Same camp - buttons with a tactile feel and feedback. Also prefer the analog instrument cluster. Just maybe I am getting older
Same. Analogue, timeless gauges all day before digital gauges designed to look like the real thing (talk about the utmost in pointless fluff), which will look heavily pixelated in several years and instantly date an otherwise timeless car. Those gauges alone will force so many people to feel compelled to upgrade in the future. Just look at a 2007 S Class with one of the first digital gauges. Looks like an Atari game now, in an otherwise still pretty modern looking car.

It’s like comparing a Rolex to an Apple Watch. Both serve purposes, and I’m not a watch guy, and I have 2 Apple Watches, but guess which one I’d rather have if someone was offering?

Originally Posted by porscherex
In my dream I didn’t drive the car, but I do remember the dainty nubbin moving back and forth. I assumed that was for putting it in gear. But not sure. You probably won’t be able to shift with it (what a joke that’d be) and definitely won’t want to as the thing literally needs tweezers to operate.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 PM
GordyRay
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I am planning to get a 992. I have had 3 cars with the PDK and think it is fantastic. However, if the shift handle is gone and all you have is paddles, I will go back to a manual 7M. If the Porsche engineers are doing that little shaver thing they are out of this world out of touch. That is just the most absurd thing I can think of for a 911. I always drive my current PDK in sport mode and manual. Only one time have I ever just used the auto, that was to just try it once in auto; very boring. If they leave that ridiculous shaver thing and take away our option to shift besides the paddles Porsche will lose sales because of that one stupid decision. Get a grip Porsche!!!!!!! First the lousy sound in the 991.2 and now this big behemoth butt of the rear end and no shift grip. This is how you ruin years of continued success. There is no room for these type of mistakes by the Porsche engineers. Just say no to Drugs & Braun shaver grips for the PDK. PCNA I hope you are reading our forum. It is not too late to correct such hideousness.
Cheers,
Old 08-08-2018, 12:53 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
If the Porsche engineers are doing that little shaver thing they are out of this world out of touch.
What makes you think Porsche's engineers have any say in the interior (or exterior) design? Interior design and ergonomics are done by 'designers' who - it would seem these days - are young punks that Uber or ride the short bus to work and have no training in, or a notion of, human factors engineering.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:25 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

The nubbin is an obvious solution. They replaced a fake manual gear shift lever with a giant toggle switch!

Shift paddles and other steering wheel controls are best from a human factors efficiency/safety perspective for control of vehicle automation. Look inside race and super cars.

For rowing fun and pedal dancing delight get a real manual tranny!

Kudos to Porsche for offering both.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:43 AM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The nubbin is an obvious solution. They replaced a fake manual gear shift lever with a giant toggle switch!

Shift paddles and other steering wheel controls are best from a human factors efficiency/safety perspective for control of vehicle automation. Look inside race and super cars.

For rowing fun and pedal dancing delight get a real manual tranny!

Kudos to Porsche for offering both.
I agree with this. Who actually uses the stick to shift the PDK when you have paddles right at your finger tips? They allow you to keep both hands on the steering wheel and focus on the road/apex.

Using the shifter with the PDK is like you're trying to add an artificial layer of "driver engagement" when you're really just shifting a computer operated manual with redundant controls. If you love the PDK stick that much and use it all the time, you've simply bought the wrong transmission! A real manual and clutch would be a much better fit.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:44 PM
BLUE.DIOS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally some nice door handles
Old 08-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Kongmiami
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Putting screens in place of Gauges is way more profitable for all manufactures. Think of all those android tablets that sell for $70.. those screens in the dashboard can’t cost Porsche more $60-$150 to make. Wayyy cheaper to make. Unfortunately they’re still using LCD’s instead of OLED’s, so it will always look dated from an angled of axis view. If they’re gonna use LCD’s, hopefully OLED’s are not far out in the future
Old 08-08-2018, 09:15 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by K-A
Same. Analogue, timeless gauges all day before digital gauges designed to look like the real thing (talk about the utmost in pointless fluff), which will look heavily pixelated in several years and instantly date an otherwise timeless car. Those gauges alone will force so many people to feel compelled to upgrade in the future. Just look at a 2007 S Class with one of the first digital gauges. Looks like an Atari game now, in an otherwise still pretty modern looking car.

It’s like comparing a Rolex to an Apple Watch. Both serve purposes, and I’m not a watch guy, and I have 2 Apple Watches, but guess which one I’d rather have if someone was offering? In my dream I didn’t drive the car, but I do remember the dainty nubbin moving back and forth. I assumed that was for putting it in gear. But not sure. You probably won’t be able to shift with it (what a joke that’d be) and definitely won’t want to as the thing literally needs tweezers to operate.
The nubbin has three letters on it. "D" for drive, "N" for neutral, and "R" for reverse. Doesn't look like it will be for shifting.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I agree with this. Who actually uses the stick to shift the PDK when you have paddles right at your finger tips? They allow you to keep both hands on the steering wheel and focus on the road/apex.

Using the shifter with the PDK is like you're trying to add an artificial layer of "driver engagement" when you're really just shifting a computer operated manual with redundant controls. If you love the PDK stick that much and use it all the time, you've simply bought the wrong transmission! A real manual and clutch would be a much better fit.
I use the stick and perhaps others do also. I don't do a lot of DE's but sometimes negotiating a turn the paddles are not where I can use them. The shifter is always in the right position. I'm probably a manual shifter wanna be. 😁
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 PM
medias116
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K-A

It’s like comparing a Rolex to an Apple Watch. Both serve purposes, and I’m not a watch guy, and I have 2 Apple Watches, but guess which one I’d rather have if someone was offering?
You used the right word for analog in this context - timeless!

Also - then what happens to colored gauges option? A toggle color button ( hey cool - one more button!!) option - one color $860, 3 colors at $1,720 throwing in a third for free? 😁😬
Old 08-09-2018, 10:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Some very valid design comments here. Reality is, they aren't designing the 992 for most of the guys and enthusiasts here. They're designing it for emerging markets and people who have yet to step foot into a 911.

China is Porsche's #1 sales market and has overpassed the USA. Says something.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE