Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended - I am devastated

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:48 AM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 145 Posts

Oh no, OP will never enjoy that car if fixed. Total all the way. Also, maybe check and see if the other car had any tint or film on the windshield. That's a big no no and would only help your case if you need it. Just a thought
Old Today, 10:17 AM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Castle
Oh no, OP will never enjoy that car if fixed. Total all the way. Also, maybe check and see if the other car had any tint or film on the windshield. That's a big no no and would only help your case if you need it. Just a thought
How you you know the OP “will never enjoy that car fixed?” Everyone is different. I actually made money on my accident and got an upgraded Fabspeed exhaust! Drove the car for years with no problems and sold it to my business partner and he also had no problems.

Just providing ideas and options here, because I have more experience than most.
The following users liked this post:
Earle (Today)
Old Today, 10:40 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts

OP's car is a total. Glad to hear that he came away healthy.
Old Today, 01:00 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 597 Posts

if repaired which I seriously doubt, make sure you get diminished value on the car as this is a major hit and trade in discount is 20-25 %b as compared to no car fax
Old Today, 01:01 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 87 Posts

IF it can be repaired to Porsche standards I'm good with that. I just don't think I can find or build a new one that checks ALL of the boxes. I NEVER anticipated selling it so I'm not chasing the resale value. I just want MY Porsche back!

I have a shop in San Joes that did excellent work on my 356B, If it is repairable it is going to the same place.

Originally Posted by Jim986
That car most likely can be repaired to like new condition. Ten years ago I had the same type of accident and the car was repaired to the point you could never tell it was wrecked. Since your car is a special build and hard to replace I would fix it and get as much “diminished value” as possibly and enjoy your car.

If you decide to go that route I can provide some advice. ( I operated a body shop for 10 years)

If your the type that can’t deal with the fact that your car has been wrecked I get that and you should move on to another car.
Old Today, 01:10 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 119 Posts

Very sorry to hear. But you should really push on this being totalled.

Who is your insirance provider? Do you have new car insurance? Either way you should push to what you paid + premium given the price increase. If they disagree, get a lawyer.
Old Today, 01:11 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

I am lined up with the doctor for a Monday check out. Thank you.

I'm not overly concerned about the cost of the tune, It's one of those things that I may never recover the cost. I'll support M-Engineering, they are doing good things!

I will say the M-Engineering stage one tune was awesome! It made the car and me come alive.

I was concentrating/ looking at the metering light and never saw this guy coming, I don't understand how this happed as it was on a flat straight open onramp.

Originally Posted by hopetogolf
@Earle glad to hear you are fine. I echo the idea to ensure you are checked out by a doctor. Regarding your tune, maybe the tuner can hook you up with a tune for the next car (assuming it is the same model/tune) or at a minimum, a reduced rate. Yes, I understand they do a bit of custom work for each car but that investment has to be very small and the price of the tune must be mostly the R&D and physical parts (which you still have).

These drivers are nuts. I was rear ended about 5 years ago in stop and go traffic on a major highway in the Boston area. My Tesla camera clearly shows the driver not slowing down. He certainly was not looking ahead. I now keep extra space between me and the car ahead and when approaching stopped or very slow traffic after going highway speeds, I put on my hazard lights. This drives the Massholes crazy but eff them, stop riding my bumper when the roads are packed. I also tend to move to a slower lane when these drivers seem impatient.
Old Today, 01:15 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Very sorry to hear. But you should really push on this being totalled.

Who is your insirance provider? Do you have new car insurance? Either way you should push to what you paid + premium given the price increase. If they disagree, get a lawyer.
I have State Farm, been with them over 40 years. They have come through for me in the past. I hope they will continue that trend. It was a new policy that was bundled with the other 3 vehicles + home. I don't have any idea what compensation I am going to get out of them as it is so fresh.
Old Today, 01:21 PM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 616 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Does the other driver have insurance? There are so many uninsured drivers on the road now, especially in a state like CA.
FL too! Wish I had eyes on the back of my head.

OP, it’s an utter tragedy but you both walked away. Get the insurance straightened out and build yourself an even better one! 🤩

Last edited by Shortseller; Today at 01:27 PM.
Old Today, 01:25 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Jeff Whitten I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences.
I am feeling a little sore on my left shoulder, noting worth taking anything for. I have a doctor's appointment Monday for a once over and checkout.
Three weeks for the adjuster seams excessive, sorry to hear that. I have other cars to drive, none as exciting at the 911 .
I hope the insurance company does not drag out the repair/total decision. It impacts my actions tremendously going forward.

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
@Earle such a tough experience. I went through this last year in my Macan GTS. First and foremost be glad your injuries were minor. Health is most important. Rest is fancy transportation and all replaceable. A few things to share for your journey:

1. Some of your injuries may take a little time to show up. I was banged up but had some neck and back stuff crop up a few months later. Good acupuncture and other therapy got me back 100% in about 3 months.
2. Insurance will be challenging and take longer than you expect. In my case almost 3 weeks before an adjuster visited the body shop after initial inspection and estimate. Took several months to fully resolve. Far from the measly 30 day rental car coverage at $30 a day.
3. After you take some time to get through the process, think about what might be next if they decide not to repair.

Old Today, 01:42 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten

Not to make light of the situation (sorry it happened) but that's a beautiful photo.
Old Today, 02:06 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 489 Likes on 149 Posts

Hopefully you are OK, good luck with the doctors. These strains can get a bit worse a few days after the event, fingers crossed for you.

I would be surprised if that car could be replaced easily, an Adventurine Green, C2S with 7 speed manual and Exclusive manufacturer interior in Cohiba brown. Fantastic.

To me, it is just about peak Porsche 911! All the speed, manual shift, the best color, the nice interior and wheel nuts, not center-locks! Find another one.

It is difficult to see from the pictures how far the damage extends. No fluids appear on the bround which is a good sign.

I would be checking to position of the rear wheel (has it moved forward) , the passenger door gaps and I would trying to get a look on the rear chassis leg, bumper reinforcement panel and the engine position.

I cant see the front of course.

If that lot looks OK, the worst I can see from the back is the fact the car needs a new aluminium rear quarter, not the end of the world, and all the rear end parts of course.

If it is structurally sound, I would want it back as it is definitely worth waiting for.

I would hate to see the guy who picked it up from the salvage auction driving it around after it is repaired.

Lets see what they say when they get it on the ramp and start measuring.

Last edited by politeperson; Today at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear ended - I am devastated