Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended - I am devastated

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:19 AM
B194HR
Instructor

Received 242 Likes on 97 Posts

I am very sorry for the situation that you are in through no fault of your own, thank goodness you are walking away
from it in relatively good shape. It’s happened to me and it’s among the most unpleasant experiences that can occur in a car, especially
one that you have put so much time and effort into. Nothing written will help I’m sure but for what it’s worth, what I have done in this
situation is keep reminding myself that at some point in the future this will all be behind you and you will be in a better place.

Just keep moving forward dealing with the next steps as frustrating as they may be with the knowledge that happiness awaits you
down the road.

Last edited by B194HR; Today at 12:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Earle (Today)
Old Today, 12:26 AM
stonekutter
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 53 Posts

Very sorry to hear. Wishing you all the best!
Earle (Today)
Old Today, 12:48 AM
Porsche70T
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can fully understand that heart-sinking feeling. I had a similar thing happen to my first Porsche when a school bus driver decided that the traffic light to let mall traffic exit didn't apply at 6 am. The rear was smashed in and the car was totalled when we found that the block was cracked. What I learned was that insurance doesn't give additional value to special parts that have been added and I wish that I had removed some of them before settlement and the car became theirs.
Earle (Today)
Old Today, 01:04 AM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 103 Posts

Lots of people out there who shouldn’t be allowed to have a license. Major bummer. Some people might laugh at the first-world problems nature of this but it isn’t like replacing a Corolla.
The following 2 users liked this post by McNamara:
Butzi (Today), Earle (Today)
Old Today, 01:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,938 Likes on 5,205 Posts

Cars can be replaced, even highly customized ones.

People can't.

Glad you're ok OP (relatively speaking).
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (Today), Earle (Today)
Old Today, 01:22 AM
Earle
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

Thank you for your support.
My insurance ia aware of the extras I invested in including PPF and Tint. I was told they will include those values as part of any settlement.I will ask them about the ResoNex treatment I purchased.

Originally Posted by Porsche70T
I can fully understand that heart-sinking feeling. I had a similar thing happen to my first Porsche when a school bus driver decided that the traffic light to let mall traffic exit didn't apply at 6 am. The rear was smashed in and the car was totalled when we found that the block was cracked. What I learned was that insurance doesn't give additional value to special parts that have been added and I wish that I had removed some of them before settlement and the car became theirs.
Old Today, 01:35 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 78 Posts

glad that you are well. Bay Area drivers are the worst of the bunch. Must be distracted. The car is totaled - glad that you got the replacement.
Old Today, 01:42 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about the crash. Glad you're mostly okay.
You might start to feel pain in places over the next few days, so see a doctor ASAP and make a note of the date and time. If any medical issues arise later, you'll have this info to fall back on.
The car is replaceable, so focus on yourself!

Might be too soon but, if space and finances allow, you could always explore buying the wreck back from the insurance company and break it down for parts or better yet, turn it into to a track car.
Old Today, 01:44 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts

@Earle such a tough experience. I went through this last year in my Macan GTS. First and foremost be glad your injuries were minor. Health is most important. Rest is fancy transportation and all replaceable. A few things to share for your journey:

1. Some of your injuries may take a little time to show up. I was banged up but had some neck and back stuff crop up a few months later. Good acupuncture and other therapy got me back 100% in about 3 months.
2. Insurance will be challenging and take longer than you expect. In my case almost 3 weeks before an adjuster visited the body shop after initial inspection and estimate. Took several months to fully resolve. Far from the measly 30 day rental car coverage at $30 a day.
3. After you take some time to get through the process, think about what might be next if they decide not to repair.

Old Today, 01:45 AM
kilyung
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you’re okay. I was rear ended in LA while on my motorcycle at a freeway light a few years ago. I’m HYPER vigilant at lights now and will stare at my rearview when stopped. Annoyingly I’ve avoided being rear ended another time since (in my Mini Cooper).
Old Today, 02:02 AM
Chalk992911S
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 73 Posts

Daaaang. Super duper bummer. I love visiting LA and Scottsdale because everyone seems to drive so aware, (but fast) and I fit right in. Seeing posts like this, especially with a special build, really sucks. 😣 That’s always my biggest fear when you get so far into modding a car, you may never see the same car again. Good wishes for you and your fam all around, and hope in some
way you can replicate your build.
Old Today, 05:37 AM
AbsolutelyNobody
Racer

Received 297 Likes on 117 Posts

Wow that looks bad... just goes to show you can be a perfect driver but you can't account for what other people will do. Glad you're ok.
Old Today, 05:53 AM
AKK5
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you are OK bro..Is this considered a total loss or can this be repaired? Hope this never happens to me or anyone else!
Old Today, 08:41 AM
hopetogolf
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

@Earle glad to hear you are fine. I echo the idea to ensure you are checked out by a doctor. Regarding your tune, maybe the tuner can hook you up with a tune for the next car (assuming it is the same model/tune) or at a minimum, a reduced rate. Yes, I understand they do a bit of custom work for each car but that investment has to be very small and the price of the tune must be mostly the R&D and physical parts (which you still have).

These drivers are nuts. I was rear ended about 5 years ago in stop and go traffic on a major highway in the Boston area. My Tesla camera clearly shows the driver not slowing down. He certainly was not looking ahead. I now keep extra space between me and the car ahead and when approaching stopped or very slow traffic after going highway speeds, I put on my hazard lights. This drives the Massholes crazy but eff them, stop riding my bumper when the roads are packed. I also tend to move to a slower lane when these drivers seem impatient.
Old Today, 08:41 AM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 62 Posts

That car most likely can be repaired to like new condition. Ten years ago I had the same type of accident and the car was repaired to the point you could never tell it was wrecked. Since your car is a special build and hard to replace I would fix it and get as much “diminished value” as possibly and enjoy your car.

If you decide to go that route I can provide some advice. ( I operated a body shop for 10 years)

If your the type that can’t deal with the fact that your car has been wrecked I get that and you should move on to another car.

Last edited by Jim986; Today at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear ended - I am devastated