Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Purist vs Modder
Purist: Why would I mess with perfection!
29.00%
Modder: Small visual mods but I would never go mechanical!
28.00%
Modder+: Make it louder, faster, and personalized!
43.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

992 Purist vs Modder

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:25 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,150 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Mod or don't mod.
Do what you like.
Live and let live.
The other side is not wrong.
Old Today, 12:26 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by B194HR
I have nothing against modded cars or people who like to modify their cars, i’m just not that guy.
I don’t do tattoos either.

Changing something because you want to look different from others and set yourself apart has more to do with you
than any inherent deficiency in your car.

By driving a Porsche you have already done so to an extent thats acceptable imho.
If I had to choose a company to modify my Porsche it would always be RUF over Singer.
Much more tasteful in most cases.

And don’t get me started about RWB
I don’t know that anybody likened the desire to personalize with a vehicle deficiency.
Old Today, 12:36 AM
B194HR
Instructor

Received 241 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
I don’t know that anybody likened the desire to personalize with a vehicle deficiency.
If someone puts on an aftermarket exhaust system to make the car louder, because it wasn’t loud enough, is along the lines of what I meant.

Last edited by B194HR; Today at 12:39 AM.
Old Today, 02:20 AM
SickIcarus
7th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

For those who mod their cars, what do you do about the warranty? Do you just roll the dice and not worry about it knowing you could afford any repairs needed caused by your mod? Like, if I ecu tune my car and the engine blows, that’s one hell of an expense to not be warrantied. Hell, even if there was an engine problem not caused by the tune, but the tune voided the warranty - ouch.

When I was younger I’d ecu tune every car I could, most recently a 718 Cayman - but that one was tuned by the dealer and they agreed to maintain the warranty. Prior to that, the cars were either out of warranty already, or the cars were cheap enough I could absorb the hit, or the tune was “not detectable” supposedly (never had to find out). Currently with a 992.1 S and while I’d love to tune it to GTS levels the idea of losing the warranty scares the hell out of me - even though I could afford the hit, ooof, I’d much rather not.

Last edited by SickIcarus; Today at 02:30 AM.
Old Today, 04:22 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by SickIcarus
For those who mod their cars, what do you do about the warranty? Do you just roll the dice and not worry about it knowing you could afford any repairs needed caused by your mod? Like, if I ecu tune my car and the engine blows, that’s one hell of an expense to not be warrantied. Hell, even if there was an engine problem not caused by the tune, but the tune voided the warranty - ouch.

When I was younger I’d ecu tune every car I could, most recently a 718 Cayman - but that one was tuned by the dealer and they agreed to maintain the warranty. Prior to that, the cars were either out of warranty already, or the cars were cheap enough I could absorb the hit, or the tune was “not detectable” supposedly (never had to find out). Currently with a 992.1 S and while I’d love to tune it to GTS levels the idea of losing the warranty scares the hell out of me - even though I could afford the hit, ooof, I’d much rather not.
There are levels to the mod game. Sometimes it’s mainly aesthetics and other times people venture into engine and ECU tuning. Each modification comes with risk; some extremely low and others rather significant. Like you, I’m not at the point where I’m comfortable with ECU tuning. The performance benefits are absolutely there, but I’m a bit too risk averse to take the plunge at this time. I mod mainly for aesthetics personalization.

Last edited by M3Inline6; Today at 04:27 AM.
Old Today, 05:25 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 89 Posts

Modded mine to make it quieter.
Old Today, 08:52 AM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm 35 and recently took delivery of my 2024 Carrera T. I'm one of the manual diehard guys which I think may play into this a bit... That'd be another interesting metric to track. I've modified every car I own as well. I modify in order to improve aesthetics, but even more so to increase engagement and drama from the car. It needs to look good, but sound and feel are especially even more important to me.

I've had my Carrera T for two weeks, and I just installed H&R Sport springs over the weekend along with some spacers. This was the main thing that was bothering me aesthetically and now I feel much more satisfied every time I look at the car... and that's an example of why I modify. I also like working on my cars myself; for me its like adult Legos. I find it really enjoyable to work with my hands and to put my mind into a different mode after working on the computer all week. And as a Mechanical Engineer, modifying and working on cars appeals to my innate need to "tinker."

Other than getting rid of the amber side markers, my next modifications will be to change the engine sound a bit. I would like to hear more from the intake as well as the exhaust. I'd also like to change the tone of the exhaust a bit to extract the most sonorous exhaust note possible from the 3.0L. So within the next year or so I'm looking toward the Do88 or APR intake as well as a JCR rear section, sport cats, and possibly equal length headers. The last modifications I'll probably do include a tune and maybe GTS turbos, but maybe not until the warranty has expired.
Old Today, 08:55 AM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rips992
I'm an old dude that mods all my cars ... why would I not do it to my Turbo S? Anyone one can drive a stock car ... I want to make it my own ... one of a kind! You can see in my signature my latest build. Enjoy!
This is almost exactly what I want to do with my Carrera T. Could you describe how the APR intake changed the induction sound? I'm also interested to know if you found that the Kline equal length headers made a big difference in the tonality as well? It's super difficult to find any videos of that exhaust setup. If you have clips to share I'd love to see them!
Old Today, 09:13 AM
r4mi5awi
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I got all my modding desire out in my 20s. I have no interest for any mods as I always tend to brake something that was working perfectly fine before. I don't have the luxury of time or patience for self inflicted problems anymore.

That and my GTS was specced exactly to my liking. Thanks to Porsche's black hole of options, it has scratched my itch to do anything further.
Old Today, 09:35 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 799 Posts

My modding has evolved. I still mod all my vehicles somewhat, but my taste is now OE+. I’ll retrofit options that weren’t available that I like or pull parts I think are cool from another model. I’ll upgrade stereo, add sound deadening, make coding or tuning changes. But the appearance of the car will typically be what I call OE+.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (Today)
Old Today, 09:42 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Wilke
How the hell does one make a new 911 "quieter"? The stock exhaust on a 992 sounds like a Camry going up the street.
Old Today, 09:49 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
How the hell does one make a new 911 "quieter"? The stock exhaust on a 992 sounds like a Camry going up the street.
You can make the inside a lot quieter with sound deadening.
Old Today, 09:50 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Wilke
How the hell does one make a new 911 "Quiter"? The stock exhaust on a 992 sounds like a Camry going up the street. Why would you want that any worse than it all ready is or was your post just making a joke about same.
Old Today, 01:29 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 193 Posts

Don't forget reliability. OEM's aren't perfect and modification can be about correcting these flaws. *cough* IMS Bearing *cough*

Quick Reply: 992 Purist vs Modder