Sponsored by:

2024 992 GTS break-in

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 05:40 PM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
I was just speculating, I don't have any facts to try and argue that point with, and I don't want to invest any energy looking for some. I've got a couple of decades of experience with turbocharged Mitsubishis so I am no stranger to turbo's myself. That certainly doesn't qualify me to speak authoritatively about turbocharger engineering / mechanics. I think the level / criteria of quality control engineering that goes into aftermarket turbos is likely not the same as an OEM shipping cars.
Fair enough. Thanks for the good discussion! One final data point on the turbo side of things. Borg Warner who supply turbos to OEMs and the aftermarket, state nothing about break-in in their technical training manual for the EFR turbocharger line (their most advanced aftermarket offering. Page 81 does refer to priming the turbo with oil, but that's it.
https://www.borgwarner.com/docs/defa...ining_book.pdf
Old 08-27-2024, 05:56 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Some food for thought.... A discussion with a real Porsche Engineer regarding the reasons behind Porsche's break-in recommendations...

Its dated...2011, but the discussion rages on...

Porsche Engine Break-In – Yellowstone Region (pca.org)
Old 08-27-2024, 06:04 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by loxxrider
Fair enough. Thanks for the good discussion! One final data point on the turbo side of things. Borg Warner who supply turbos to OEMs and the aftermarket, state nothing about break-in in their technical training manual for the EFR turbocharger line (their most advanced aftermarket offering. Page 81 does refer to priming the turbo with oil, but that's it.
https://www.borgwarner.com/docs/defa...ining_book.pdf
Sure, but that turbo only comes with a 1 year warranty, and they likely aren't liable for the carnage it causes if it does blow.
Old 08-28-2024, 07:47 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by sk911
Some food for thought.... A discussion with a real Porsche Engineer regarding the reasons behind Porsche's break-in recommendations...

That story always makes me laugh. People point to it as if it certainly happened and it was in fact Jesus himself giving the lecture.
The following users liked this post:
notfastenough (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 09:28 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by notfastenough
I know this subject has been beaten to death but I also believe that as long as people buy new Porsches that it will continue to come up. I take European delivery next week of a '24 GTS. As an engine builder I have my methods for break-in which for the most part is keeping revs low for the first 30-60 minutes then let the dogs run. This method has served our customers well for 50+ years on street and track motors and has crossed over generations of technical advances in materials. I intend to experiment in real time with my new 911 and put this to the test. Caveat: Since I have not been privy to main bearing/rod bearing clearances and ring gap on new Porsche engines, I'll be playing it by ear and NOSE but it's safe to say I'll drive at least 200 miles before redline shifts. (It's a manual.)

Stay tuned.
After my last visit to the factory and having chatted with the guys who are actually building the engines, I have elected to follow Porsche break in procedures, but I am sure they are conservative in their views.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:40 AM
loxxrider
Racer

Sure, but that turbo only comes with a 1 year warranty, and they likely aren't liable for the carnage it causes if it does blow.
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I did some digging on this. I found maintenance and installation manuals from CAT, Garret, IHI, Holset, Borg Warner, and Schwitzer and none of them talk about a break-in period other than spending a few minutes at idle upon the first startup to check for leaks and make sure oil is flowing before putting it under load. I even looked at the service guidelines for huge ABB ship turbos, and those are essentially the same. Happy to provide links for any of these if you're interested.

Here's an excerpt from the Schwitzer turbo installation manual which is representative of virtually all the other ones.

Old 08-28-2024, 11:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,167 Likes on 5,288 Posts

Originally Posted by sk911

Originally Posted by doug_999
That story always makes me laugh. People point to it as if it certainly happened and it was in fact Jesus himself giving the lecture.
Consider the source.

It's from PCA, after all.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:49 AM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I did some digging on this. I found maintenance and installation manuals from CAT, Garret, IHI, Holset, Borg Warner, and Schwitzer and none of them talk about a break-in period other than spending a few minutes at idle upon the first startup to check for leaks and make sure oil is flowing before putting it under load. I even looked at the service guidelines for huge ABB ship turbos, and those are essentially the same. Happy to provide links for any of these if you're interested.

Here's an excerpt from the Schwitzer turbo installation manual which is representative of virtually all the other ones.
LOL well if you want the pain to continue I would point out that while that is all interesting, none of it is about the specific turbo in our cars nor is it from Porsche.

Otherwise
Spoiler

loxxrider (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 01:53 PM
loxxrider
Racer

LOL well if you want the pain to continue I would point out that while that is all interesting, none of it is about the specific turbo in our cars nor is it from Porsche.

Otherwise
Spoiler

LOL you had me going on a wild goose chase with this. You could teach a masterclass in trolling (even if it was inadvertent ). At least if this ever comes up again in conversation I will be able to answer very quickly and confidently!
Mike818 (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 02:10 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 813 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999

What would Jesus know of flat 6 engines? He walked or rode beasts of burden.

I love the psychology of this argument...people will find the examples they need to support their point of view with impressive efficiency and relentlessly attempt to beat others into submission with them.
Old 08-28-2024, 03:13 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige;19619553[i
]What would Jesus know of flat 6 engines?[/i] He walked or rode beasts of burden.

I love the psychology of this argument...people will find the examples they need to support their point of view with impressive efficiency and relentlessly attempt to beat others into submission with them.
Nothing. He drives an Accord. But He does not speak of his own Accord.
The following 2 users liked this post by dudeoverthere:
VarTheVar (08-28-2024), Vicbastige (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 03:33 PM
r4mi5awi
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Subbed. We look forward to your break-in journey with great interest!
Old 08-28-2024, 03:43 PM
J Irwan
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 131 Posts

So you are talking about break-in for the turbo unit, but when we are talking about a car the heart is the engine.

I hardly see any relevance between breaking in a new turbo unit vs breaking in a new car.
Old 08-28-2024, 04:41 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J Irwan
So you are talking about break-in for the turbo unit, but when we are talking about a car the heart is the engine.

I hardly see any relevance between breaking in a new turbo unit vs breaking in a new car.
What makes you think the break in is just about the engine. The specific text from the manual states
"The moving parts of a new vehicle must be run in. The parts require the first 1,875 miles (3,000 km ) for this purpose. The oil and fuel consumption may be somewhat higher than normal during this period."
Old 08-28-2024, 05:27 PM
loxxrider
Racer

Originally Posted by J Irwan

It was just a sidebar that I found interesting to explore when it was brought up by Mike. I agree that there isn't much relevance, thus my efforts to prove that turbos don't need breaking in (but engines do to some extent at least). I know its a lot to follow between this and the other recent thread, but I advocate for a happy medium between what Porsche recommends, and the "break it in on the racetrack" crowd. With most things in life I find that the truth rarely lies at the extremes. I believe with every fiber of my being, that this also applies to engine break-in.

Quick Reply: 2024 992 GTS break-in