Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you survive the break-in period??

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,438 Likes on 521 Posts

It's too hot here to go to the Zoo
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,098 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Learn the purpose of braking an engine in. You'll quickly realize you can get it done in less than 100 miles.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
J Irwan
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have several vehicles, and have been thinning down the collection, mainly because none of them get enough miles when spread over (4) cars and (2) motorcycles. I look at the Virginia Personal Property Tax (harsh) and the cost to insure and do maintenance on all of them and it's about $ 2K a month to keep them all in service without any of them being driven at all. However, I don't play golf or have any other hobby expense, so my wife gives me a pass. But I do realize more often than not I take a truck to work because I need a pickup in my business several days a week. My 992 just turned 10,000 miles and is 3 years, 8 months old. My pickup truck gets 10K a year, my Cayenne (trip car) about 8K a year.

But sometimes you just want to see it in the garage, I sure do. So don't sweat it - long as you can justify the cost of keeping one not being driven much.

This I will tell you for sure, however. Spend as much time as you possibly can with your 3 year old daughter! You hear that a lot, but its so true. My one regret in life was being out on the track on weekends when I should have been taking the kids to the Zoo, that sort of thing. You have, at most, ten years of fun with her. At 13, she won't want anything to do with you (or. your wife) and maybe, coming out of college at age 23, you might be OK again. So you have ten years from age 13 to 23 to drive the Porsche . For now, go to the Zoo!

so true…
one of the main consideration i pulled the trigger on the 992 after so many years of finding excuses

with 992 i can take my 2 young kid with me, so i can spend as much time with them.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
Go exploring. Either by word of mouth or google maps go find the fun drives in your area. You don't want to go ***** out on roads you have never driven before anyway, so it's a nice way to learn the car and your routes safely while putting on some miles.
I made sure to do this one morning a week (usually Sunday). If you get out early an run the car for 1 to 1 1/2 hours you will be surprised how quickly you hit 1800.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
You need to head out to Lake Geneva, the Dells, etc. When I lived in the city it was perfect for breaking in, as you can’t travel over 35 mph on the Kennedy or Eisenhower anyway most days. Just watch the Blue line pass you by at each stop as you head East or West on 90 (LOL).

Enjoy the new car…just need to drive.
Idling in traffic for 1800 miles has to be one of the worst possible ways to break in an engine.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 684 Likes on 444 Posts

What if you bought a used/CPO'ed 911? You wouldn't even know if it was 'broken in' per the manual's suggestion.

Would you care? Nope!

Go drive it.
Butzi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PHX
What if you bought a used/CPO'ed 911? You wouldn't even know if it was 'broken in' per the manual's suggestion.

Would you care? Nope!

Go drive it.
I would care.. Which is part of why I paid more to buy new.
jmrichards (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM
Newbie T
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I take the "break-in" seriously for my new T which is 3000KM according to the manual. I have done 200KM in the first week and will try to maintain 100-200KM per week just by driving around on Friday night (after the kids go to sleep) and take the Family for a road trip on Sunday (the kids are still small enough to fit in the back), so I think it will take maybe 6-7 months to get to 3000km.

Whilst there isn't a lot of opportunities to max it to 7000 RPM in normal roads without risking your licence, but that won't stop me trying when the time comes!

I also need to drive it as I am worries about the battery being not charged, i don't have a charger so will need to maintain it by driving.

Quick Reply: How did you survive the break-in period??