Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992.2 C2 0-60 Discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 590 Likes on 399 Posts

C&D is likely doing their testing at a drag strip. Surface prep is everything.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 137 Posts

A well prepped surface will yield the best reproducable metrics and is what should be used for comparative purposes and is often why Johnny Bananas with his new Draggy on local streets can't match the times generated by the auto press under far better conditions.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 1,801 Posts

1. Ring times are extremely relevant for those of us who send it on canyon roads.
2. When people say "X car is too slow" all I hear is "I don't know how to drive so I judge speed by how the car responds when I floor it in a straight line".

This can only make sense to those who have driven the Ring and/or who can drive at the limit on a challenging road.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilder
1. Ring times are extremely relevant for those of us who send it on canyon roads.
2. When people say "X car is too slow" all I hear is "I don't know how to drive so I judge speed by how the car responds when I floor it in a straight line".

This can only make sense to those who have driven the Ring and/or who can drive at the limit on a challenging road.
Pretty sure most of don't drive "at the limit" very often if ever.
It is most satisfying to have a sports car that handles extremely well and can run like a bitch in a straight line. You don't have to be some kind of a "Ring" champion or a road ace to get your moneys worth with a 992, Z06, etc. We all have different driving skill levels and preferences. We are all on the same team here.

Last edited by Hunky; Yesterday at 05:51 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 773 Likes on 368 Posts

A time on a closed circuit racetrack is extremely relavent to a hobbyist driving fast on a public road? Beam me up Scotty.
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hunky
Pretty sure most of don't drive "at the limit" very often if ever.
It is most satisfying to have a sports car that handles extremely well and can run like a bitch in a straight line. You don't have to be some kind of a "Ring" champion or a road ace to get your moneys worth with a 992, Z06, etc. We all have different driving skill levels and preferences. We are all on the same team here.
Clearly you and I have ideas and priorities that are worlds apart when it comes to driving and sports cars.

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
A time on a closed circuit racetrack is extremely relavent to a hobbyist driving fast on a public road? Beam me up Scotty.
Why post something that will just make you look dumb? The Ring is a PUBLIC ROAD that can be driven by anyone, on nearly any car, on nearly any day.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Hunky
Racer

Clearly you and I have ideas and priorities that are worlds apart when it comes to driving and sports cars.

Why post something that will just make you look dumb? The Ring is a PUBLIC ROAD that can be driven by anyone, on nearly any car, on nearly any day.
I'll gladly wear the dunce cap and say clearly that this stuff is all for you experts that take it to the limit. LOL

Last edited by Hunky; Yesterday at 06:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hunky
I'll gladly wear the dunce cap and say clearly that this stuff is all for you experts that take it to the limit. LOL
Go ahead and wear it. But not because "crashing is for us experts" but because clearly you've never been there and yet opine based on videos clearly labelled "crashes". Dunce indeed. Enjoy straight line runs in your 911, even though that's not what they are designed to do, and be careful out there... those crashes you're concerned about are largely caused by people who have never received performance driver ed yet go out and buy powerful cars they don't know how to control at speed.
The following users liked this post:
ICE2MTU (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
MrOhnoez
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

true 0-60 vs a 1' rollout which is what most reviewers do.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
Hunky
Racer

Go ahead and wear it. But not because "crashing is for us experts" but because clearly you've never been there and yet opine based on videos clearly labelled "crashes". Dunce indeed. Enjoy straight line runs in your 911, even though that's not what they are designed to do, and be careful out there... those crashes you're concerned about are largely caused by people who have never received performance driver ed yet go out and buy powerful cars they don't know how to control at speed.
You sound like quite the guy. Hopefully we can all be as good as you someday.
BTW, very cool 911 picture in your avatar. Love the color.

Last edited by Hunky; Yesterday at 08:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Well, semantics. Do you think the ring was open to the public when the 911 was setting those extremely useful times for weekend full-send canyon carvers? Also, even when open to the public it is a well maintained surface with one-way traffic and several safety support features like cambered turns and alerts.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Well, semantics. Do you think the ring was open to the public when the 911 was setting those extremely useful times for weekend full-send canyon carvers? Also, even when open to the public it is a well maintained surface with one-way traffic and several safety support features like cambered turns and alerts.
Again, opining on something you clearly don't know about or understand...
The time a car sets ANYWHERE is useful and interesting only in the context of comparison.
The Ring is interesting because it is effectively the most challenging back road in the world, and thus tests every aspect of a car's dynamics at speed.
Putting a car on any other circuit doesn't resemble pushing a car on a public road as much as the Ring does.
The ring is considered the most dangerous track in the world for a variety of reasons, one of which is the complete lack of runoff. But ***-ume away...

It's far better to say "I don't know" and ask than to look like a fool making assumptions about something you clearly know nothing about.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Again, opining on something you clearly don't know about or understand...
The time a car sets ANYWHERE is useful and interesting only in the context of comparison.
The Ring is interesting because it is effectively the most challenging back road in the world, and thus tests every aspect of a car's dynamics at speed.
Putting a car on any other circuit doesn't resemble pushing a car on a public road as much as the Ring does.
The ring is considered the most dangerous track in the world for a variety of reasons, one of which is the complete lack of runoff. But ***-ume away...

It's far better to say "I don't know" and ask than to look like a fool making assumptions about something you clearly know nothing about.
I regret you are irritated by my opinions, but you are conflating points. It's ok and unlike you, I won't attack you for it...but better to ignore you moving forward so I won't see the reply that is sure to follow.
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

I regret you are irritated by my opinions, but you are conflating points. It's ok and unlike you, I won't attack you for it...but better to ignore you moving forward so I won't see the reply that is sure to follow.
Not irritated. Amused.
Not conflating. Keeping you on point.
Thank you for coming out.
Old Today, 01:15 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,804 Likes on 5,157 Posts

Not when Porsche (or any other marque) is attempting a record Ring time.

It's closed off to the public.

For obvious reasons.

Quick Reply: 992.2 C2 0-60 Discrepancy