Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the Sport Response button

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2024, 05:57 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Yes, since the Sport Chrono pack comes standard with the MT.
But no sports response button on manuals. Just the dial for modes.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 10:21 PM
F8T and 911T
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

ok, I finally gotta ask (at the risk of the 3 or 4 guys on here that flip out and insult)... but what the hell is the big deal about 'sports chrono'? I have it which is basically just a digital clock with an analog second hand sticking out of my dashboard.... Why is it so desired and talked about? I does nothing.... I mean, I understand it has some feature to kind of determine speed around a track if you're accurate enough to turn it on and off when you start and finish but I assume most of us don't track the car and it's seems to be an awfully inaccurate measure of time if you have to pick the start and stop time yourself by pressing some button on some screen while also trying to drive.... what am I missing about this clock called sports chrono?
Old 08-15-2024, 10:51 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 964 Likes on 539 Posts

When I press SRB, the instrument cluster changes to its countdown clock, so I can't tell what the turbo boost pressure is during the 30 second run.
Old 08-15-2024, 11:10 PM
adm63
Pro

Received 914 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by F8T and 911T
ok, I finally gotta ask (at the risk of the 3 or 4 guys on here that flip out and insult)... but what the hell is the big deal about 'sports chrono'? I have it which is basically just a digital clock with an analog second hand sticking out of my dashboard.... Why is it so desired and talked about? I does nothing.... I mean, I understand it has some feature to kind of determine speed around a track if you're accurate enough to turn it on and off when you start and finish but I assume most of us don't track the car and it's seems to be an awfully inaccurate measure of time if you have to pick the start and stop time yourself by pressing some button on some screen while also trying to drive.... what am I missing about this clock called sports chrono?
My understanding is on 992.1 cars where sport chrono is an option (it's standard in our Ts), if you didn't select the sport chrono clock you wont have launch control or sport plus mode, and no mode dial on the steering wheel, maybe no individual mode either. I think in previous generations it was also how you got rev matching in a manual but I dont think thats the case in the 992 since sport chorno was included free with manual. 10+ years ago in the days of 991 and 981 when I was less into Porsche I would hear people say that it's an important option to have especially for resale, but seems to me like these days it ends up included in most cars just because it's in the sport package. as for the clock itself, not sure anyone uses it beyond "yep that car has sport chrono"
Old 08-15-2024, 11:26 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 315 Posts

It keeps time within a second of UTC.
Old 08-15-2024, 11:31 PM
F8T and 911T
Racer

Originally Posted by adm63
My understanding is on 992.1 cars where sport chrono is an option (it's standard in our Ts), if you didn't select the sport chrono clock you wont have launch control or sport plus mode, and no mode dial on the steering wheel, maybe no individual mode either. I think in previous generations it was also how you got rev matching in a manual but I dont think thats the case in the 992 since sport chorno was included free with manual. 10+ years ago in the days of 991 and 981 when I was less into Porsche I would hear people say that it's an important option to have especially for resale, but seems to me like these days it ends up included in most cars just because it's in the sport package. as for the clock itself, not sure anyone uses it beyond "yep that car has sport chrono"
AH! excellent info. thanks man.... appreciate
Old 08-15-2024, 11:34 PM
F8T and 911T
Racer

Originally Posted by breny4104
It keeps time within a second of UTC.
I don't understand what this means.. I don't know what UTC is and it can't be accurate in time if it requires the driver to press start and then stop when he hits a finish line.... But I'm sure I just don't know this part of the car world... I have other cars with 'track telemetry' or 'lap time' features etc but they never made sense to me either.
Old 08-16-2024, 03:16 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,360 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteSmiles
SRB is much more than 20 seconds of Sport+.
No, it is not.

Originally Posted by InfiniteSmiles
The power and torque may not be higher than usual even at maximum throttle, but it is available immediately due to the preload. This is achieved by downshifting in PDK and thus increasing the engine speed, which raises the speed of the turbocharger due to the increased volume flow, which is then used to quickly build up boost pressure with the wastegate closed accordingly or activation of the VTG guide vanes. The ignition is then selected in such a way that there is no excess power at first, but once the accelerator is opened for overtaking maximum performance becomes immediately available. Boost pressure is maintained then during the 20 sec. period even when applying the brake pedal.
Changing the engine speed without changing the load on the engine does not alter the turbo speed. All that the SRB does is put the engine in the powerband by downshifting the PDK while putting the engine in its most responsive Sport+ control algorithm..
Old 08-16-2024, 03:25 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

The Sport Chrono chronograph on the dash is in itself a relic of the past, and I agree that manually pressing a button to time your laps is not the most efficient and accurate way to do so. However, if I am not mistaken, Sport Chrono needs to be specced in order to use the Porsche Track Precision app, which I find quite useful at the track. The Sport Chrono pack does include all the features specified by @adm63 plus the dynamic engine mounts and the PSM Sport mode. IMO it is a very worthwhile performance option.

From the Carrera-S configurator and press release:

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-16-2024 at 04:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
adm63 (08-16-2024), F8T and 911T (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 04:06 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aggie57
But no sports response button on manuals. Just the dial for modes.
Thanks for the clarification, I did not know that.
aggie57 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 03:01 PM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

No, it is not.

Changing the engine speed without changing the load on the engine does not alter the turbo speed. All that the SRB does is put the engine in the powerband by downshifting the PDK while putting the engine in its most responsive Sport+ control algorithm..

Agree. SC was in my opinion implemented for NA cars to keep them in the powerband. Pretty sure this option didn’t start till 997. Not necessary for Turbo cars
adm63 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 05:07 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 3520MMF
Agree. SC was in my opinion implemented for NA cars to keep them in the powerband. Pretty sure this option didn’t start till 997. Not necessary for Turbo cars
I would disagree. Turbo cars also have a powerband.
zachr (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 05:49 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 769 Likes on 341 Posts

No, it is not.

If you're on track already hooning around over the last 30 seconds, you're right - SRB makes no difference. But if you're on the highway crusing in Sport Plus and then you hit the SRB, the car downshifts. It is obviously not identical to Sport Plus in all conditions. (That said, SRB does not provide overboost or more power, or anything more than Sport Plus would if you're already driving at track pace).

Changing the engine speed doesn't alter turbo speed inherently, but I'm pretty confident that drive modes (including both SRB and sport plus) use some wizardry to keep the turbo spooled while off-throttle. I assume it's pushing _just enough_ load through the motor to keep the turbo a little closer to boost rather than going to zero load like a mechanical throttle cable would. You can tell this is happening in sport plus in my car -- you can hear the turbo stay spinning when you let off after a bit of hooning around, and after a few seconds (5? 8?) there's a bit more engine braking and the turbo whine diminishes more.
Old 08-17-2024, 02:38 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zachr
If you're on track already hooning around over the last 30 seconds, you're right - SRB makes no difference. But if you're on the highway crusing in Sport Plus and then you hit the SRB, the car downshifts. It is obviously not identical to Sport Plus in all conditions. (That said, SRB does not provide overboost or more power, or anything more than Sport Plus would if you're already driving at track pace).

Changing the engine speed doesn't alter turbo speed inherently, but I'm pretty confident that drive modes (including both SRB and sport plus) use some wizardry to keep the turbo spooled while off-throttle. I assume it's pushing _just enough_ load through the motor to keep the turbo a little closer to boost rather than going to zero load like a mechanical throttle cable would. You can tell this is happening in sport plus in my car -- you can hear the turbo stay spinning when you let off after a bit of hooning around, and after a few seconds (5? 8?) there's a bit more engine braking and the turbo whine diminishes more.
I don’t believe we’re saying anything different.

The engine response algorithm, achieved through throttle mapping, ignition timing, valve timing, wastegate control, etc, is definitely different in Wet, Normal, Sport and Sport+; that’s the whole point of making those modes. My point all along is that SRB on the 992 is not some sort of magical button the provides additional power or an “overboost”. It just downshifts to the most optimal gear for acceleration and puts the engine in its most aggressive response mode.
Old 08-17-2024, 05:05 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr

There’s definitely a little more throttle hang in sport than in normal, you can see it in the revs when you lift off, and that would keep the turbo spooling a little. Can’t speak myself about any difference in sport+ because I hardly ever use that on the street.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Sport Response button