Sponsored by:

Is This Your PPF in Twenty Years?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 01:51 PM
omaralt
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AlfaM5
PPF - another stupid invention pushed by the internet geniuses. It's a car. It's got paint on it. Drive it. Small things happen. Ignore it or fix it. But it's still a car. Meant to be driven.
Rant off.
i dont know.. my car only has 1400 miles on it and the rear hip PPF already has a few marks..
Old 07-30-2024, 02:12 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

PPF - another stupid invention pushed by the internet geniuses. It's a car. It's got paint on it. Drive it. Small things happen. Ignore it or fix it. But it's still a car. Meant to be driven.
Rant off.
I often daydream that I have the freedom of thought that you just illustrated, but I can only imagine the unbridled joy of just using a Porsche without worry. Damn you Rennlist.
The following 3 users liked this post by mferris:
AlfaM5 (07-30-2024), fanboy (07-30-2024), MeissenBlue992 (08-10-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 02:23 PM
steveclear
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rant off.
Why you have the impression of cars not being driven if having PPF on? It is usually the other way around.
The following users liked this post:
silverscooby27 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 02:36 PM
omaralt
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by steveclear
Why you have the impression of cars not being driven if having PPF on? It is usually the other way around.
exactly. now that i have PPF i drive much more freely
The following 2 users liked this post by omaralt:
RingoDingo (07-30-2024), silverscooby27 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 02:38 PM
J Irwan
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 116 Posts

Rant off.

No one can really force you to believe anything you dont want to.
For whats it worth I started with only one car had PPF then all the fleet now has PPF.
i didny drink the PPF-koolaid but i have direct personal experience and believe in the protection PPF offers

The idea of having PPF is to actually drive the car while having the protection and none of worries and at the same time keeping the car looking prestine as much as you possibly can for as long as possible.

below is the hood and front bumper of my beloved e39 M5 (now sold and under somebody else caretake) with almost 89K miles.

Never had any paint job

Last edited by J Irwan; 07-30-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:43 PM
AlfaM5
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 67 Posts

I get it. But we worry too much about the cosmetics and not enough about the driving. Meanwhile, Porsche and everyone else takes away the features that we want (manual box, light weight, analog, etc etc etc), we all bitch about it, but still focus more on how the car looks rather than anything else.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:45 PM
AlfaM5
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 67 Posts

And while I'm at it, remember the car bra? Yes it protected (maybe) but who cares? It was a silly contraption. Yeah technology has moved on and we get clean film and self healing this and ceramic that but it's mostly snake oil. People really think that a $500 jar of wax on a car that's in the elements is going to do anything differently than a $25 jar of wax? More snake oil.
BondJ (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 02:52 PM
J Irwan
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 116 Posts

And while I'm at it, remember the car bra? Yes it protected (maybe) but who cares? It was a silly contraption. Yeah technology has moved on and we get clean film and self healing this and ceramic that but it's mostly snake oil. People really think that a $500 jar of wax on a car that's in the elements is going to do anything differently than a $25 jar of wax? More snake oil.
yup i remember that colgan bra .

it does its intended job perfectly but just inconvinient as you want to put that vinyl car bra when the car is clean.

as a result you end up not putting it on when you need it, and it should not be left ln the car permanently.
and the reality there is always dont care/lazy camp of owner and left the bra all the time and ends up scratching the hell out of the finish (dirt build up underneath) and also cause uneven paint-fade .

overall it was great idea, but not exactly practical at all.

so at the end they dont get good reputation, and when a clear PPF film came up it pretty much rendered colgan bra as obsolete/irrelevant product.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:54 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 194 Posts

The PPF debate rages on, but AFAIK the acceptance of Ceramic as the superior coating system is universal. I've been detailing/waxing my cars for 20 years and just did my first ceramic coating about a month ago. It only cost me around 160 in consumables, so more expensive than wax. It supposedly lasts way longer and will hopefully be better and cheaper in the long run. TBD i guess...

Last edited by Mike818; 07-30-2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:56 PM
Crusje
Racer

Received 260 Likes on 134 Posts

I agree, but it's their car so they can do what they want with it and fund a detailer's college fund, exotic, etc. I'm going raw, used a $12 ceramic spray, drive it in the rain, have 2 rock chips. Got some polish, dr color chip and it looks fine to me. It's just a car.
BondJ (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 03:11 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 66 Posts

I generally have not put PPF on my cars. However the 992's wide hips certainly require it or you'll be very disappointed with the fast damage in that area (only takes a few thousand miles). The shark fin from the factory is not enough. So if nothing else, I'd recommend extended rear PPF on the rear quarter panel unless you just totally don't care about rock chips all over the side of your car.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:59 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Targa4S
I’ve removed PPF on my old 987S after i wasn’t able to find someone to do it.

i parked my car in the Summer Sun and peeled it slowly. The glue comes off with Goof-off.

On a white car it didn’t discolor any. It in-fact saved my bumper from a Lot of damage
How long was the PPF on the car. Sounds like it wasn't too difficult.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:09 PM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

Rant off.
You can't fix a bunch of rock chips - not effectively, anyway. PPF lets me drive my car as I wish to drive it without worrying about it. I can park it under a tree without worrying about bird droppings etching the paint in the sun. I can let my kids get in and out of my car with their winter jackets on without worrying the zippers will scratch the paint up.

Maybe you don't worry about these things... and good for you. You'll have to share with us what you do worry about so we can all tell you what a fool you are for worrying about any of it in the first place along with whatever you do to cope. However, because I do care and I do worry, and because it's important to me, PPF is a godsend. and I wouldn't **** on others for thinking the same.
The following 6 users liked this post by RingoDingo:
ldamelio (08-04-2024), rasetsu (07-30-2024), Risley (07-30-2024), TimD (07-31-2024), uter (07-31-2024), Yojeffo (07-30-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-30-2024, 06:36 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 100 Posts

Think of it as “patina” not road rash…
Icegrill (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 07:51 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 512 Posts

FWIW, I put actual snake oil on my car.

I do not recommend.

All it did was attract snakes.
asuresh8 (08-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Is This Your PPF in Twenty Years?